Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched Taj a few times as an U16 and recently in the all stars game. He looks a good prospect to me. Serious kick of a football; accurate, flat and fast. Top 1% stuff.

Also hadn’t pegged him as slow although I could believe that he’s someone who is quick over the first 5-10m but not over 100m.

We’ve stumbled into a fantastic position in this draft. Should be able to trade a bundle of our 2nd round picks for something close to the pointy end and grab one of the many quality KPP on offer. Then pick up Schofield and Jones with what might even end up being a late or rookie pick by virtue of them being fairly speculative if there are no games this year and the possible shrinking list sizes.
Will give our list management some credit here and say our position in this draft was very much premeditated.

If we can use one of our 2 2nd rounders (and any first we aqquire) before any bids I'd be happy

Will give our list management some credit here and say our position in this draft was very much premeditated.
so they got the inside goss from our shanghai connection, whose cousin worked in the wuhan virus lab, that early picks would be dubious due to limited exposure ?

china paying off bigly, huh!

I mean, we bemoan poor skills, poor goal kicking, generally dumb players and then stick to these dogmatic athlete over footballer recruiting philosophies like they are written in stone.

Watched a Greg Williams 3 voter on Fox tonight. Would absolutely run rings around everyone on our list skill and football smarts wise but wouldn't even get drafted because he's 'too short and too slow'.

The AFL as an industry really need to reconsider exactly what they want their game to look like.

THIS! this x1000
its like the womens afl, yes i know apples and oranges, they went for athletes over footballers and look at the shocking spectical that is.

Its great to have players that are fast, run all day etc. but these same players butcher the ball, miss set shots etc and its over looked due athleticism.

The ball travels faster than a person can run. give me someone slower who hits 30 to 40 meter targets than someone who can run fast for 20meters then butcher the ball half the time.

I mean, we bemoan poor skills, poor goal kicking, generally dumb players and then stick to these dogmatic athlete over footballer recruiting philosophies like they are written in stone.

You’re kinda projecting stuff onto me that I didn’t say.

Also you realise it’s not either / or right?

Rozee, butters, Farrell, Williams, Bergman (and so on) are athletically gifted and can play football.

I’ve also never said that Schofield isn’t an athlete.

I’ve only said he doesn’t have the athleticism that I would want in a 176cm player. At that height I want that kid to have a some special weapons in his arsenal. (Since been told he has grown to 178 which is a positive)

He’s certainly more an agility player than a break lines speedster like duursma.

I find myself comparing taj to another small player in Sydney’s NGA in Campbell and Campbell is wider through the body, stronger through the hips and thighs. He can explode through contact. I don’t know what his testing says but by eye he will burst away from contests. His kicks are piercing bullets. Bloody dangerous as all hell with the ball in his hand. He has serious weapons.

Last edited:
You’re kinda projecting stuff onto me that I didn’t say.

Also you realise it’s not either / or right?

Rozee, butters, Farrell, Williams, Bergman (and so on) are athletically gifted and can play football.
Of course players that are both natural footballers and athletes are best. Given we aren't GWS/GC gifted with multiple first round picks every year (directly or via academy picks that would be first round otherwise) it's then what do we value more?

It depends on the position as well. I'd take an athletic KPD who can get to and kill contests, with a less than perfect kick, then one who is super accurate, but always a step behind. For a player who could be a link up player then I'll take great disposal over Usain Bolt speed over 100 metres.

I've spent enough time lamenting Ebert, Wines, Rockliff, even Boak, kicking like Stormtroopers to put much more value in disposal. The Hawks during their 3 peat were not a particularly fast side, but they pinpoint kicked faster sides to the sidelines repeatedly.

so they got the inside goss from our shanghai connection, whose cousin worked in the wuhan virus lab, that early picks would be dubious due to limited exposure ?

china paying off bigly, huh!
Very facetious! That they intentionally positioned us with minimal first round picks because they knew the eyes would be picked out with NG and FS picks.

I didn't read anything in It Just Is' post which highlighted the increased uncertainty around first round picks due to lack of exposure, if anything he is suggesting that we should trade into the first round, but it's a fantastic point also.. I'm happy to believe Mr Gu did us a solid here:rainbow:

Jase Burgoyne was outstanding for the victorious Woodville-West Torrens with 31 disposals and a goal, while Dawkins had 25 touches and two goals.

Burgoyne, the son of Power premiership midfielder Peter Burgoyne, earned the Round 4 Torrens University Cup MVP nomination for his performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jase Burgoyne was outstanding for the victorious Woodville-West Torrens with 31 disposals and a goal, while Dawkins had 25 touches and two goals.

Burgoyne, the son of Power premiership midfielder Peter Burgoyne, earned the Round 4 Torrens University Cup MVP nomination for his performance.

Is Jase potentially first round material ?

Thanks for the video Coob. Hard to tell on such a short video but seemed to have that little bit of time when he has the ball (that the good players all seem to have).

I am sure that about 35 seconds in there must have been an old labour party supporter when he takes that intercept mark as I think I heard Oh for Gough.....

Thanks for the video Coob. Hard to tell on such a short video but seemed to have that little bit of time when he has the ball (that the good players all seem to have).

I am sure that about 35 seconds in there must have been an old labour party supporter when he takes that intercept mark as I think I heard Oh for Gough.....

ha..heard that too. funny stuff

Last edited:
Interesting - I guess that's due to his drug habit making him a big risk to clubs ?;););)

That and the degenerative knee condition, yeah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back