Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It may well be the first thing they get right.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correction - it could be the 2nd thing they (the Suns) do right (for them) .... As Francou and his 3 sons are already up there

so if Shaun Burgoyne goes up there (and Francou is already up there) their would be 5 Port father son picks up there
year father / son player

- 2021 - Will Francou
- 2023 - Oliver Francou
- 2024 - Ky Burgoyne
- 2024 - Ben Francou
- 2026 - Percy Burgoyne

not sure if they all are playing footy .. .but it is an area we need to start watching …

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Correction - it could be the 2nd thing they (the Suns) do right (for them) .... As Francou and his 3 sons are already up there

so if Shaun Burgoyne goes up there (and Francou is already up there) their would be 5 Port father son picks up there
year father / son player

- 2021 - Will Francou
- 2023 - Oliver Francou
- 2024 - Ky Burgoyne
- 2024 - Ben Francou
- 2026 - Percy Burgoyne

not sure if they all are playing footy .. .but it is an area we need to start watching …
Pretty sure the Francou boys are all playing for Burleigh up on the Gold Coast so you can bet your bottom dollar the Suns are already trying to convince them to forgo their father-son eligibility ala Carlton with Marc Murphy in 2005.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Jonathan Brown genuinely wanted to join Brisbane when his father had played his entire career in Melbourne.
He was prepared to come to Port or the Hawks if either club selected him with their 1st round pick in 1998 when every club could take one 17 year in the 1998 draft. Both clubs said no, they were prepared to pick him as their 17 year old pick but not with their first round pick. We picked Adam Morgan with a mid 30's pick. Every club said no to a 17 year old Matthew Pavlich who had a back injury issue.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
8840E97C-F104-4546-9417-C9034CA947DB.png

He was prepared to come to Port or the Hawks if either club selected him with their 1st round pick in 1998 when every club could take one 17 year in the 1998 draft. Both clubs said no, they were prepared to pick him as their 17 year old pick but not with their first round pick. We picked Adam Morgan with a mid 30's pick. Every club said no to a 17 year old Matthew Pavlich who had a back injury issue.

Haha, *. I knew we overlooked Pavlich for Morgan, this is the first time I've heard that we also overlooked Jonathan Brown for him. Imagine being that bad at your job.

Haha, fu**. I knew we overlooked Pavlich for Morgan, this is the first time I've heard that we also overlooked Jonathan Brown for him. Imagine being that bad at your job.
Brown would only come to Port or the Hawks if they guranteed they would draft him with their first pick. He didn't want to end up at certain clubs. He wasn't that good at the time to demand that a 1st round pick be used on him. So he didn't nominate for the draft and nominated Brisbane for father son the next year. That was fair enough by both Port and the Hawks recruiting team.

But Pavlich is another matter.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haha, fu**. I knew we overlooked Pavlich for Morgan, this is the first time I've heard that we also overlooked Jonathan Brown for him. Imagine being that bad at your job.
Would have been nice to have Pav and/or Brown but don't forget Tredders was 19 at the time and was very close to leaving us that year (he asked to be traded to Carlton). So if we had drafted young key forwards in Pavlich/Brown then perhaps Warren would have been pushed out the door. Staying on topic here, you could easily argue Tredders was our first father-son pick in the AFL and I would take him over Pavlich or Brown if push came to shove.

We do have a nice stream of father-son picks coming through from this year onward:

2019 - Trent Burgoyne
2019 - Jackson Mead
2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2021 - Jase Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen (also FS eligible for Essendon)
2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2026 - Raphael Cornes
2026 - Louis Salopek
2026 - Nate Tredrea
2026 - Tevita Rodan
2027 - Sonny Cornes
2028 - Leo Tredrea
2029 - Bodi Westhoff
2030 - Maikeli Rodan
2031 - Beau Schulz
2033 - Jack Dew
2033 - Anthony Surjan
2033 - Zander Surjan
2033 - Alipate Carlile Jr
2033 - Jude Carr
2035 - Leo Ebert

• Jase Burgoyne made the U16 SA state side this year and is playing for the West Lakes U16s.
  • Tex Wanganeen is playing for the Mitcham U16s this year.
  • Will Francou is playing for the Burleigh U16s (Gold Coast league) this year.
  • Harper Montgomery is playing for the Walkerville U15s this year.
  • Oliver Francou is playing for the Burleigh U14s (Gold Coast league) this year.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
FORMER West Coast midfielder Luke Partington, mid-season draft misses Sam Lowson and Lochlan Dickson and potential Port Adelaide father-son Trent Burgoyne are among the list of players invited to test at state NAB AFL Draft Combines later this year.

After missing out on the national Draft Combine, a further group of 118 players have won enough nominations from club recruiting teams to show their wares in testing days across the country in October.

There is a cross-section of prospects, with the majority coming from under-18 competitions but a number of mature-age options being pushed forward by clubs to test their athleticism.

Rogue Robot

Cancelled
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would have been nice to have Pav and/or Brown but don't forget Tredders was 19 at the time and was very close to leaving us that year (he asked to be traded to Carlton). So if we had drafted young key forwards in Pavlich/Brown then perhaps Warren would have been pushed out the door. Staying on topic here, you could easily argue Tredders was our first father-son pick in the AFL and I would take him over Pavlich or Brown if push came to shove.

We do have a nice stream of father-son picks coming through from this year onward:

2019 - Trent Burgoyne
2019 - Jackson Mead
2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2021 - Jase Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen (also FS eligible for Essendon)
2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2026 - Raphael Cornes
2026 - Louis Salopek
2026 - Nate Tredrea
2026 - Tevita Rodan
2027 - Sonny Cornes
2028 - Leo Tredrea
2029 - Bodi Westhoff
2030 - Maikeli Rodan
2031 - Beau Schulz
2033 - Jack Dew
2033 - Anthony Surjan
2033 - Zander Surjan
2033 - Alipate Carlile Jr
2033 - Jude Carr
2035 - Leo Ebert

• Jase Burgoyne made the U16 SA state side this year and is playing for the West Lakes U16s.
  • Tex Wanganeen is playing for the Mitcham U16s this year.
  • Will Francou is playing for the Burleigh U16s (Gold Coast league) this year.
  • Harper Montgomery is playing for the Walkerville U15s this year.
  • Oliver Francou is playing for the Burleigh U14s (Gold Coast league) this year.
Damn, 24 picks in 10 years

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I'd be encouraging Borlase not to nominate as a Next Generation Academy pick by saying:

"I have decided not to nominate as a Next Generation player for the Adelaide Football Club. My father played more than 200 games for the Port Adelaide Football club and was a premiership captain. I have no allegiance to the AFC and would prefer to take my chances in the draft than be tied to Adelaide. I am prepared to play for any club to pursue my AFL dream and will take my chances in the draft."

This would not only ensure Adelaide don't grab him (they'd be mad to draft him after that) but would warn 16 other clubs that this boy has a lot of Port in him and would always be a flight risk if selected. Port could guarantee Borlase that we would take him with our first, second or third pick (depending on his true value).

Someone tell this plan to Daisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back