Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Need to get the girls team up and running

Definitely needs a girls team … especially with

5 Wanganeen Daughters + 3 Primus Daughters + 3 Trengove Daughters + 3 Cassisi + 2 Burgoyne

and I think their is also

1 x Schulz
1 x Kingsley
1 x Carlile
1 x Brogan
1 x Carr
2 x Hoff
1 x Tredrea
1 x Thurstans
1 X Robbie Gray daughter

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Definitely needs a girls team … especially with

5 Wanganeen Daughters + 3 Primus Daughters + 3 Trengove Daughters + 3 Cassisi + 2 Burgoyne

and I think their is also

1 x Schulz
1 x Kingsley
1 x Carlile
1 x Brogan
1 x Carr
2 x Hoff
1 x Tredrea
1 x Thurstans
1 X Robbie Gray daughter
What a team that could be!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It should have been a straight 100 game eligibility for all Port players SNAFL and AFL. Feck the other SNAFL clubs. What lunacy even brought them into the equation. We have no emotional attachment to Pecker/North/West/Central/Torrens players. It makes the whole concept of FS look ridiculous.
And for all the ‘benefits’ of having those clubs, they’ve given us 0 ‘Father/sons’. Pitch us a second quasi (half) state side and stop us getting sons of PAFC 100 gamers. How typically AFL/SANFL lose-lose when it comes to Port.

And for all the ‘benefits’ of having those clubs, they’ve given us 0 ‘Father/sons’. Pitch us a second quasi (half) state side and stop us getting sons of PAFC 100 gamers. How typically AFL/SANFL lose-lose when it comes to Port.

Apart from Brad Ebert, have we actually missed out on anyone worth a pinch of s**t?

Whilst it would be nice to pick up players from other SANFL teams, I wouldn't have any father/son attachment towards them. I'm more asking the question is there any Port Adelaide father/sons we have missed out on who were over 100 games and below the 200 threshold? I get that the rule is rubbish, but if we haven't been detrimentally affected it seems like one less thing to get angry about.

Whilst it would be nice to pick up players from other SANFL teams, I wouldn't have any father/son attachment towards them. I'm more asking the question is there any Port Adelaide father/sons we have missed out on who were over 100 games and below the 200 threshold? I get that the rule is rubbish, but if we haven't been detrimentally affected it seems like one less thing to get angry about.

There's none that I can recall off the top of my head that were close to being AFL quality.

The closest was probably Brett Hughes, one of Danny's sons, but he stopped developing at bottom age level. Chris Natt's son (his name escapes me) and Darrell Cahill's son Brodie had some potential but never got beyond SANFL reserves level.

There's none that I can recall off the top of my head that were close to being AFL quality.

The closest was probably Brett Hughes, one of Danny's sons, but he stopped developing at bottom age level. Chris Natt's son (his name escapes me) and Darrell Cahill's son Brodie had some potential but never got beyond SANFL reserves level.

That's what I thought. I get people are angry about things, but perhaps any animosity to this rule can perhaps be better channeled somewhere else.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The is a detrimental affect .... We should never have accepted this stupid arrangement in the first place, and should have just said we only want father/son access to Port Adelaide Magpies players under the same ruling as the VFL clubs had ... 100 senior games. We miss out on Borlaise by not doing this. Potentially others too over the last 20 odd years, I am not sure.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFL article says once a bid is made on a father son they reference Henry and Freo that you can trade down in those 4min to match with lower pick.

AFL article says once a bid is made on a father son they reference Henry and Freo that you can trade down in those 4min to match with lower pick.

The AFL has confirmed that under its rules, a club in Fremantle's situation would be able to use its five minutes on the clock to trade picks with another club, move down the order, and then match the Academy bid with a later selection/s.

It is possible, in that case, that a club such as Gold Coast (with pick 15 and 20) could swap picks with Fremantle and move up to pick 10. Then the Dockers would be allowed to match the bid with pick 15.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11...rama-why-clubs-are-holding-fire-on-pick-swaps

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL has confirmed that under its rules, a club in Fremantle's situation would be able to use its five minutes on the clock to trade picks with another club, move down the order, and then match the Academy bid with a later selection/s.

It is possible, in that case, that a club such as Gold Coast (with pick 15 and 20) could swap picks with Fremantle and move up to pick 10. Then the Dockers would be allowed to match the bid with pick 15.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11...rama-why-clubs-are-holding-fire-on-pick-swaps
Then can we do same with mead?

Macca_1870

All Australian
May 1, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Travis Natt?

I played a bit of underage footy at the Maggies with both Travis and Brodie - both seriously good juniors. Not sure what contributed to either fading TBH, I wasn't at all close with either of them. I remember thinking Brodie was good enough to play League during the 2005 season, just never took that next step beyond reserves.

Under the stupid rules, didnt we luck in to Brett Ebert when we shouldnt have?

My recollection is a few years after the fact it was worked out he didn’t qualify under the rules - but at the time everyone pretty much just assumed he qualified and didn’t check it.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We need to make another distinction here because the article below states NGA players from SA and WA living in metropolitan areas can only be accessed AFTER pick 40.

So Fremantle can match a top 10 bid on Henry because he hails from a regional area (Derby). However, because James Borlase lives in Adelaide, he can be ours and the Crows won't be able to match should we bid on him with a pick before 40. I think Borlase is considered a top 30 prospect next year so we should absolutely bid on him if we get the chance. There's still hope!

My recollection is a few years after the fact it was worked out he didn’t qualify under the rules - but at the time everyone pretty much just assumed he qualified and didn’t check it.

Zwyi1o9.jpg

AgiNOuB.jpg

Apart from Brad Ebert, have we actually missed out on anyone worth a pinch of s**t?

Heath James (Max: 148 games for Port give or take preseason games; FS eligible due to 54 for SM/Sydney).

Who was a super prospect with chewing gum hamstrings.

Back