Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Jase Burgoyne will miss the sanfl u18s grand final this weekend with groin soreness.
Might be a good thing for us. If he played and dominated with 35 disposals and 4 goals, he might be selected 5 or 10 places higher.

Father-son prospect Jase Burgoyne will meet with Port Adelaide in coming weeks as he and the club prepare to decide whether they will commit to him landing at Alberton. The Power has access to the Woodville-West Torrens half-back/wingman – the son of 2004 premiership star Peter Burgoyne – and has collated late draft picks to give it the option of matching rival clubs’ bids.

Burgoyne, along with his family and manager, will catch up with the club ahead of the November 24-25 national draft to discuss their plans as all parties weigh up their options.

He is considered to be a top-40 prospect. This year, Burgoyne featured in three senior SANFL matches for Port Adelaide, averaging 15.7 disposals. The state under-19 representative also played four reserves and eight under-18 games for the Eagles.

“We understand Jase has a decision to make, as does the club in the fullness of time,” Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies said.

If the Power drafted him, Burgoyne would follow in the footsteps of Brett Ebert (Russell), Taj Schofield (Jarrad), Jackson Mead (Darren) and older brother Trent as father-son selections. Trent is out of contract at the Power after two seasons on the rookie list without playing a game.

Jase won't commit to us until we've committed to him, which is entirely fair. The club will do whatever due process and due diligence their policies say they have to, once that's done we'll tell Jase we'll pick him, and he'll say he's happy for us to pick him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Interesting that we have a few FS types up for this year's draft - albeit ineligible for FS picks to us :mad:
ie. Motlop, Bruer, Horne-Francis.

Also relatives of former Port players in Kade Dittmar and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.
Apologies if I'm intruding here, but a poster on the Collingwood board has made this claim regarding Kade Dittmar: "His old man Mark is a premiership player for Port in the SANFL." He may well have got that idea from reading this article. I used to chat to Mark every now and then at the club back when he was playing (he was a nice lad), but my memory says he mostly played seconds, with just the odd senior game, and I'd be very surprised if he was in a (senior) premiership team. Can anyone clear this up?

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Apologies if I'm intruding here, but a poster on the Collingwood board has made this claim regarding Kade Dittmar: "His old man Mark is a premiership player for Port in the SANFL." He may well have got that idea from reading this article. I used to chat to Mark every now and then at the club back when he was playing (he was a nice lad), but my memory says he mostly played seconds, with just the odd senior game, and I'd be very surprised if he was in a (senior) premiership team. Can anyone clear this up?

Yeah, Mark didn't play in a league premiership - maybe seconds. If this wiki page is correct, the only Dittmat to have played in a senior premiership for PAFC is Wally Dittmar, who played a sporadic 79 games between 1952-63 - given that Port won 8 flags in that period, including the famous six in a row 54-59, he had every chance! Oddly though, the linked article doesn't confirm it, so the wiki page might be wrong and none of them did.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yeah, Mark didn't play in a league premiership - maybe seconds. If this wiki page is correct, the only Dittmat to have played in a senior premiership for PAFC is Wally Dittmar, who played a sporadic 79 games between 1952-63 - given that Port won 8 flags in that period, including the famous six in a row 54-59, he had every chance! Oddly though, the linked article doesn't confirm it, so the wiki page might be wrong and none of them did.
Thanks a lot for the reply. It looks certain that Wally (who I think was the father of Mark and Michael) did, though I'm a bit surprised he only managed it once!: https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/celebrating-a-century-of-the-wirrulla-bombers/
1634450430317.png

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Thanks a lot for the reply. It looks certain that Wally (who I think was the father of Mark and Michael) did, though I'm a bit surprised he only managed it once!: https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/celebrating-a-century-of-the-wirrulla-bombers/
View attachment 1262314
I thought that Wally was father to Mark, who is father to Kade.
Wally's brother Alan was father to Chris the squash player (cousin to Mark).
Another brother Michael snr played later (1969-70) was father to Michael jnr (cousin to Mark and Chris).
I think there was another brother (Les?) who was an Australian champion boxer.

Wally and Alan may(?) have been forwards, and played early 50's to early 60's around the time Rex Johns and Neil Hawke were our primary forwards.
Michael snr was certainly a FF and I remember he kicked 9 goals in one match.
Mark played a handful of games in the early 90's - maybe 1993? Smaller mid/hff type.
Michael jnr was a forward/ruck and played for a few years around then too, but then swapped to North where he played around 50 or so games.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Assuming Jase does choose us, are we likely to draft Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Gav's nephew) with pick 12 and then match whatever bid comes for Jase Burgoyne (Peter's son)?

Would be nice if we could find a way to draft Jesse Motlop (Daniel's son/Steven's nephew) as well. It's not often we have three potential top 40 picks with family connections come through in the same year and I haven't even mentioned Horne-Francis.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Would be a real kick in the teeth if Jase did reject us as a FS. If he did, we’re left with some very average picks after 12. At least he gives us a shot at someone who would may be in that 30-40 range.

Something like the Edwards boys at the Tingles? Almost, but not quite (although it may turn out the same if Port tells Jase to try his luck).

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I thought that Wally was father to Mark, who is father to Kade.
Wally's brother Alan was father to Chris the squash player (cousin to Mark).
Another brother Michael snr played later (1969-70) was father to Michael jnr (cousin to Mark and Chris).
I think there was another brother (Les?) who was an Australian champion boxer.

Wally and Alan may(?) have been forwards, and played early 50's to early 60's around the time Rex Johns and Neil Hawke were our primary forwards.
Michael snr was certainly a FF and I remember he kicked 9 goals in one match.
Mark played a handful of games in the early 90's - maybe 1993? Smaller mid/hff type.
Michael jnr was a forward/ruck and played for a few years around then too, but then swapped to North where he played around 50 or so games.
Thanks a lot for that. I think I always just had the idea that Mark and Michael were brothers, but it sounds like they weren't. Given that they were miles apart in terms of their size that seems reasonable!

Saintsone

Team Captain
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting that we have a few FS types up for this year's draft - albeit ineligible for FS picks to us :mad:
ie. Motlop, Bruer, Horne-Francis.

Also relatives of former Port players in Kade Dittmar and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.
Breuer will be a very good player, hopefully you take him

Looks like neither Port or Essendon are interested in Tex at this year's draft. Starts talking about Tex at around 4.00 mark in AA interview, changes to nephew Nasiah then Rowe brings him back to Port. Gav reckons he hasn't talked to Tex about it - sounds like a bit of BS to me. Says Tex has only play 1 game this year and was first games for school in 2 years. Goes to about 7.30 on Tex.

Then talk about his nephew - his sister's son - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera. Don't know if his sister is a blood sister or step sister. If she is, then Nasiah has the Davey genes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back