Prediction Potential Port Adelaide Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

OneGreatClub

Hall of Famer
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When you get an article on the club's website, you know they are keen.

ONE of Port Adelaide’s Next Generation Academy players has received glowing praise as a ready-made AFL player who likes to work hard and plays team-first football.

Lachie Jones, 18, who has been playing league football with Woodville-West Torrens this year, received high praise from his captain Luke Thompson during a radio interview on Thursday morning.

At 184cm and 85kgs, Jones has a strong body for a teenager.

He hails from Bute on the Yorke Peninsula and is part of Port Adelaide’s NGA owing to his Indigenous heritage and regional upbringing. Thompson said he expected Jones to be taken early in the draft, and likely by the Power. “He’s just that ready-made player that can jump straight into AFL footy because we know it’s a massive jump,” the Eagles skipper explained on Adelaide radio.

“He’s a mature body, he reminds me a lot of a (West Coast defender) Shannon Hurn the way he plays.

“He’s got that really good closing speed, take off speed, he’s a very good one-on-one competitor and he’s just got that body that’s ready to play. “He’s a great kid as well – a country boy – he’s got a good head on his shoulders, he just wants to work hard and he’s a very good team man as well.”

Jones made his SANFL debut in Round 1 and last month was named the Round 7 Powerade Breakthrough Player for the SANFL after an impressive showing against West Adelaide.

Thompson said he had no doubt Jones would have a career at AFL level. He said he was a unique character and a valuable team member at the Eagles. “You don’t often see blokes like that come through,” Thompson said. “I can’t remember the last time I saw someone like that coming through like him, as a ready-made player.

“He’s just such a relaxed character. He’s very quiet off the field, he pops up and says his two cents worth but he’s just such a relaxed character that is just a country boy, come into the city and loves playing football but just goes about his business. “He’s very workmanlike and I think at the Eagles we like to think of ourselves as a bit more blue collar than white collar and he’s just the ultimate blue collar player who gets the job done and has a laugh while he does it.”

Port Adelaide will have first access to Jones at the 2020 draft, along with father-son prospect Taj Schofield (son of 2004 Premiership player and current midfield coach Jarrad Schofield).
Hope we have enough draft currency to match the Crows pick 1 bid 🤣

PA88

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've not seen Lachie Jones play but from previous descriptions I didn't expect him to be described as a Shannon Hurn type by his current captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
Hurn is a misleading comparison. It’s just solid built defender from Sa = Hurn
Gould was also called Hurn.

the same way every indigenous small forward will get called rankine and every electric kid will get called rozee if they’re from Sa.

Hurn was the best kick I’ve ever seen from a junior, hell maybe the best kick I’ve ever seen from anyone live. Taller and was more of an intercepter at the same age from memory. Jones kick is more Hartlett than Hurn (which is still exciting).

none of this means we shouldn’t be excited by jones, there’s lots to like and there’s a spot for him in our 22 as well.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Hurn is a misleading comparison. It’s just solid built defender from Sa = Hurn
Gould was also called Hurn.

the same way every indigenous small forward will get called rankine and every electric kid will get called rozee if they’re from Sa.

Hurn was the best kick I’ve ever seen from a junior, hell maybe the best kick I’ve ever seen from anyone live. Taller and was more of an intercepter at the same age from memory. Jones kick is more Hartlett than Hurn (which is still exciting).

none of this means we shouldn’t be excited by jones, there’s lots to like and there’s a spot for him in our 22 as well.
The Hurn comparison for me is - both are built like a brick shithouse (Hurn was a big lad who has got bigger in the AFL), both about 185cm and both asked to regularly play on taller forward opponents and both were teenagers who could handle playing against men in the SANFL.

As you say, Jones' kicking is nothing close to the elite category like Hurn's.

philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
Hurn is listed as 187cms but I reckon that’s bullshit. I could be wrong, I’m just going off eyesight but if he’s 2cms shorter than brad ebert I’ll eat my shoes. 189-190.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ford Fairlane

Feb 21, 2002
Port Adelaide 5015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Lachlan Jones at #10 in Draft Central latest rankings

#10 Lachlan Jones
WWT Eagles/South Australia | General Defender
9/04/2002 | 185cm | 89kg

Yet another NGA prospect, Jones is tied to Port Adelaide and features quite highly on this list. His big frame has seen him adjust well to the rigours of SANFL League football, running out against mature bodies in all of the Eagles’ fixtures thus far. As a general defender, Jones possesses obvious hardness at the ball and can compete both aerially and at ground level, remaining relevant going both ways too. His skills are also a big asset, able to spear passes to high percentage options while also breaking games open with his long-range efforts. Jones may well be one to push further up the list as he progresses in 2020, with some solid traits which point to a quick transition into the next level.

August Ranking: #12

Last Month: Jones remains the sole South Australian Under 18 on this list to have turned out at League level for every round this season, as he goes from strength to strength. The Eagles are in the box seat to take out the minor premiership, with the Port Adelaide NGA prospect an established part of the side’s defence in a variety of roles. In his six outings since August 1, Jones has averaged 11.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, and four rebound 50s, returning to his best with 16 touches and eight rebounds against North Adelaide in Round 11. He has consistently been able to intercept, play both tall and small, and rebound effectively against mature bodies, bumping him up to #10.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Lachlan Jones at #10 in Draft Central latest rankings

#10 Lachlan Jones
WWT Eagles/South Australia | General Defender
9/04/2002 | 185cm | 89kg

Yet another NGA prospect, Jones is tied to Port Adelaide and features quite highly on this list. His big frame has seen him adjust well to the rigours of SANFL League football, running out against mature bodies in all of the Eagles’ fixtures thus far. As a general defender, Jones possesses obvious hardness at the ball and can compete both aerially and at ground level, remaining relevant going both ways too. His skills are also a big asset, able to spear passes to high percentage options while also breaking games open with his long-range efforts. Jones may well be one to push further up the list as he progresses in 2020, with some solid traits which point to a quick transition into the next level.

August Ranking: #12

Last Month: Jones remains the sole South Australian Under 18 on this list to have turned out at League level for every round this season, as he goes from strength to strength. The Eagles are in the box seat to take out the minor premiership, with the Port Adelaide NGA prospect an established part of the side’s defence in a variety of roles. In his six outings since August 1, Jones has averaged 11.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, and four rebound 50s, returning to his best with 16 touches and eight rebounds against North Adelaide in Round 11. He has consistently been able to intercept, play both tall and small, and rebound effectively against mature bodies, bumping him up to #10.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/
Reckon he is a classic example of rising up the ratings because he is playing and Vic U/18 kids aren't. Has done well against men and Vic kids haven't been seen. Same appers to have happened in with a few kids playing in the WAFL and moving up the top 20 rankings than 6/8/10 months ago.

Chizza12

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2016
Wynn Vale
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reckon he is a classic example of rising up the ratings because he is playing and Vic U/18 kids aren't. Has done well against men and Vic kids haven't been seen. Same appers to have happened in with a few kids playing in the WAFL and moving up the top 20 rankings than 6/8/10 months ago.
No doubt that's what's happened. If you're a recruiting officer you'd be trying to minimise the risk, so exposed form is better than no form. Jones has AFL attributes and is performing against men, recruiters have to love that. We'll never know if he'd be mentioned as a 1st round talent, if all the U18 competitions were played. Let's just assume we got a 1st round draft talent with our 2nd round pick/picks.

Top Bottom