News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachlan Jones at #10 in Draft Central latest rankings

#10 Lachlan Jones
WWT Eagles/South Australia | General Defender
9/04/2002 | 185cm | 89kg

Yet another NGA prospect, Jones is tied to Port Adelaide and features quite highly on this list. His big frame has seen him adjust well to the rigours of SANFL League football, running out against mature bodies in all of the Eagles’ fixtures thus far. As a general defender, Jones possesses obvious hardness at the ball and can compete both aerially and at ground level, remaining relevant going both ways too. His skills are also a big asset, able to spear passes to high percentage options while also breaking games open with his long-range efforts. Jones may well be one to push further up the list as he progresses in 2020, with some solid traits which point to a quick transition into the next level.

August Ranking: #12

Last Month: Jones remains the sole South Australian Under 18 on this list to have turned out at League level for every round this season, as he goes from strength to strength. The Eagles are in the box seat to take out the minor premiership, with the Port Adelaide NGA prospect an established part of the side’s defence in a variety of roles. In his six outings since August 1, Jones has averaged 11.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, and four rebound 50s, returning to his best with 16 touches and eight rebounds against North Adelaide in Round 11. He has consistently been able to intercept, play both tall and small, and rebound effectively against mature bodies, bumping him up to #10.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachlan Jones at #10 in Draft Central latest rankings

#10 Lachlan Jones
WWT Eagles/South Australia | General Defender
9/04/2002 | 185cm | 89kg

Yet another NGA prospect, Jones is tied to Port Adelaide and features quite highly on this list. His big frame has seen him adjust well to the rigours of SANFL League football, running out against mature bodies in all of the Eagles’ fixtures thus far. As a general defender, Jones possesses obvious hardness at the ball and can compete both aerially and at ground level, remaining relevant going both ways too. His skills are also a big asset, able to spear passes to high percentage options while also breaking games open with his long-range efforts. Jones may well be one to push further up the list as he progresses in 2020, with some solid traits which point to a quick transition into the next level.

August Ranking: #12

Last Month: Jones remains the sole South Australian Under 18 on this list to have turned out at League level for every round this season, as he goes from strength to strength. The Eagles are in the box seat to take out the minor premiership, with the Port Adelaide NGA prospect an established part of the side’s defence in a variety of roles. In his six outings since August 1, Jones has averaged 11.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, and four rebound 50s, returning to his best with 16 touches and eight rebounds against North Adelaide in Round 11. He has consistently been able to intercept, play both tall and small, and rebound effectively against mature bodies, bumping him up to #10.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/
Reckon he is a classic example of rising up the ratings because he is playing and Vic U/18 kids aren't. Has done well against men and Vic kids haven't been seen. Same appers to have happened in with a few kids playing in the WAFL and moving up the top 20 rankings than 6/8/10 months ago.

Reckon he is a classic example of rising up the ratings because he is playing and Vic U/18 kids aren't. Has done well against men and Vic kids haven't been seen. Same appers to have happened in with a few kids playing in the WAFL and moving up the top 20 rankings than 6/8/10 months ago.
No doubt that's what's happened. If you're a recruiting officer you'd be trying to minimise the risk, so exposed form is better than no form. Jones has AFL attributes and is performing against men, recruiters have to love that. We'll never know if he'd be mentioned as a 1st round talent, if all the U18 competitions were played. Let's just assume we got a 1st round draft talent with our 2nd round pick/picks.

Does he make Garner's future on our list even less likely?

maybe? I really liked Garners progress in 2019, he’s got a laser boot and super competitive but not playing this year it’s impossible to know where he’s at. I viewed Garner as a replacement to broadbent or Hartlett going forward. Jones muddies that. I think there’s a place for Garner on the list but the wildcard is Bergman. I think Bergman has elite potential as a backman and jones and Bergman with Houston and Dbj as locks makes it crowded.

maybe? I really liked Garners progress in 2019, he’s got a laser boot and super competitive but not playing this year it’s impossible to know where he’s at. I viewed Garner as a replacement to broadbent or Hartlett going forward. Jones muddies that. I think there’s a place for Garner on the list but the wildcard is Bergman. I think Bergman has elite potential as a backman and jones and Bergman with Houston and Dbj as locks makes it crowded.
Especially if Burton gets fit.

You will be able to watch Lachlan Jones again on Saturday Ch7 from 1.30
Eagles play Glenelg
After this game Port play Essendon
Can someone just snip and post the bits that he is in... * watching a whole game of SANFL not involving Port.

Every time I've seen Jones he seems to miss targets by foot and hand granted I've only seen a limited amount.
Can't see him being top 10

Every time I've seen Jones he seems to miss targets by foot and hand granted I've only seen a limited amount.
Can't see him being top 10
To be honest, im the same. Every time I watch him he seems to have a stinker. But I did finally see that hanger which was awesome. Im not sure if he's top 10 material yet, but can't complain when a kid on our radar is playing solid league footy at 18, its a great start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back