Potential Shield Final Locations

Remove this Banner Ad

:rolleyes: Like err ... the Wendouree Oval (AKA C.E. Brown Reserve) which just had $1.2 million invested in a complete new all weather surface and lighting, and which is about to have another $2 million invested in upgrading its pavillions and building other new amenities. Same dimensions as Etihad BTW.

But let's not let facts cloud a discussion ;)

Lake_Wendouree_Football_Netball.jpg
Etihad isn't 1st Class Accredited

I cannot think of a single Indian Cricket Ground that ought to be, but it doesn't stop the ICC playing cricket games there.

When we talk about 1st class anything, we have to ask 'what are we seriosly talking about?' What do we expect of venues? The simple truth is that regional Victoria has at least five ovals that would stand up against and better those of the so-called premier cricket grounds found in many other international cricket countries (with exception of the UK). That's undeniable.

I did laugh no end the other day when an AFL pre-season game was cancelled in Cairns due to rain. Really? Yes it was torrential, but considering that it rains at least 5 times per day in Cairns that the game could have proceded quite safely soon after the rain had passed. The AFL seems to have forgotten that their game is played in Winter (and by most in very wet and very muddy conditions). Yet apparently once you reach elite level you will shrink if you get wet.

I hope that one is not suggesting that a similar terrible fate could befall a 1st Grade Cricket player because he/she isn't playing on either at the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval or Lords.
I'm not disagreeing with you to an extent. When I was a little kiddie there was an annual game at Reid Oval Warrnambool (XXXX Cup Game) Where a Warrnambool XI featuring 3/4 Vic Squad players and a handful of locals would play a Colac XI of the same construction. In '85/'86 India played a tour game against a Vic Country XI.

Unfortunately for all of us, the ACA got involved and set the 1st Class Standards, which knocked out all of this. The gap between community cricket and elite cricket has become bigger because of this type of stuff.

With regards to the Saints v Lions in Mackay, I take your point but they had had metres of rain in the lead up and a storm was set to hit at game time and dumped 5 inches of rain, so I reckon the right call was made.

The CA standards apply to first class cricket in Australia only. The best ground I've watched cricket at is the Basin Reserve in Wellington, because you can move from stands, to terraces to grassed banks with ease.

The major sticking point with these magnificent country grounds is the lack off field turf and given the zero return in councils investing in it, its not going to change.

In Northern states, much less of an issue - there winter games are played on rectangular stadiums.

They're good points, and certainly games played in regional towns and centres between State Teams and visiting International Teams are normally played on only the very best surfaces available in a particular region only after thorough inspection and approval by the VCA. These games are normally only one day or 20/20 games.

Ballarat has missed out on such games for a long time due to underinvestment in the city's sports grounds. Ballarat has gotten by for decades on its old world charm, although the realisation has hit home over the last ten years that other towns and cities have been investing in significantly modernising their facilities. A decade ago, Ballarat was also hit very hard by the drought and it lost all of its surfaces due to underinvestment in drought proofing their public grounds and gardens. It took nearly two years after 2010 to properly regenerate ovals. At the same time (betweeen 2008-2011) tens of millions of dollars were allocated by the Brumby government to drought proof Ballarat and the City Council now irrigate the City, the Eastern and Eureka Ovals using treated water from the Wendouree Sewerage Plant that has further settled on the Pauls Wetlands. From the Pauls Wetlands (to the north of Wendouree), water is then used to top up Lake Wendouree and to irrigate the city's gardens and major reserves.
You have the benefit of being in a marginal seat and thus get the $$$. The Reid Oval is now a cow paddock with more hills and dales than the Swiss Alps. There are some very good turf wickets at Allansford & Port Fairy - port has hosted the premier round in recent times. Warrnambool City Councils spend on grounds is pitiful.

Alice Springs? Bloody ridiculous, game should be played in the same state as the top team This all makes the competition look second rate.

Is Junction Oval not available either?

If the Vics can't host it, should go to the team that finishes second (provided they have a venue in their state).
Agree

Under the actual rules shouldn't it be whoever finishes second hosting the final now?

Victoria hosted in Hobart last year because the world cup made the MCG unavailable but there certainly aren't any unique circumstances this year
They've since abolished that rule

I'm amazed that Sydney only has one venue suitable for FC matches (SCG) given they're supposedly a wealthy city both financially & cricketing talent. Wouldn't cost much to make, say North Sydney or Blacktown suitable for these games would it?

These current CA 'requirements' astound me. Ten years ago Coffs Harbour & Alice Springs would never consider themselves hosting a Shield final.

I'm amazed that Sydney only has one venue suitable for FC matches (SCG) given they're supposedly a wealthy city both financially & cricketing talent. Wouldn't cost much to make, say North Sydney or Blacktown suitable for these games would it?

These current CA 'requirements' astound me. Ten years ago Coffs Harbour & Alice Springs would never consider themselves hosting a Shield final.

North Sydney and Blacktown do have first class status.
Possibly Drummoyne as well.

NSW host games in the country because they choose to.

Coffs Harbour was because of Phil Hughes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got the main reason - turf nets must be completely off ground. None of the old footy ground set ups are off ground - they are all adjacent. Obviously hard to have a net while the game is on if they are adjacent to the ground.

The revamped Junction will but at the moment they sit adjacent to the ground - not off it.
When is this happening though ? Here's the AFL wanting a new stadium in Victoria when what they have already is more than enough really yet we don't have one alternative first class cricket venue in the so-called sporting capital of Australia . Read the shield final is to be played at Glenelg obviously same problem in SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back