Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Oct 1, 2001
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BH, SAS, BRFC, MVFC.
VFL has a decent record lately in terms of draftees, especially rookies.

Taylor, Egan, Schwarze, Bryan, Gibson, Campbell, Morris, Warnock, Height, Rix, McKinnon, Hughes, Whyman, Howat, Bonaddio, O’Keefe and McGlynn in the past 2 drafts.

So who's a chance this year? I haven't seen as much VFL as I usually do this year so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.

Jason Davenport won the Fothergill-Round medal and is a standout. Mind you, Barling was the medallist last year and didn't get drafted.

Aaron Edwards won the Liston and Frosty Miller medal. Surely a cert.

Would David Biagi be a chance? Jason Cook? Ashley Eames under the new rookie rule? Al Neville? Matt Sharkey? The ruckman Scott Meyer?

I can nearly be sure Geelong will try and get Davenport in the draft or for the rookie list, that's if no one else gets him

I think the only player drafted will be Edwards. 5 or 6 may get rookie listed though including davenport. The querie over davenport is his foot skills but he has only been playing for 5 years. If he can improve his kicking there is no reason that he cannot make it in the afl.

I'll nominate some draft chances from Port, others care to suggest players from their club?

- Warren Carlyle, had a terrific year as a lone hand rucking.
- Matt Smith, solid season after being injured for years on Adelaide's list.
- Rhys Bloomfield, rookie chance for the mobile tall.
- Nick Raines, had a very good second half of the year. Could be a rookie chance.

Robert Castello from Werribee is my roughy to get picked (as a Bulldogs rookie)

Robbie Castello is an absolute star. Some say hes too small but he just keeps delivering in the VFL for Werribee. Can play small forward, midfield or as a small running defender, great skills and a top bloke.
Patty Rose would have to be looked at, won Willys best and fairest in the 2s last year and played a few 1s games, and this year has played a few more senior games. Always amongst the goals, very creative and will develop in to a star on baller. Some may remember him backing back in to a Port Melbourne player the other week, most courageous thing ive seen on the footy field, and was noted by many at Collingwood.
Others from Willy sure to be looked at include Scotty Meyer, who has rucked in the 1s, Picken who is a gun on-baller with all the skills and great attack on the footy, and Stretton who won the league medal in the 2's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhombus said:
My roughie is Marcus Marigliani from Frankston.

I'd be interested to see if Alex Silvagni gets rookied as well.
I am tipping Marigliani to go to Richmond as a rookie.

goal sneak said:
I think the only player drafted will be Edwards. 5 or 6 may get rookie listed though including davenport. The querie over davenport is his foot skills but he has only been playing for 5 years. If he can improve his kicking there is no reason that he cannot make it in the afl.
I think teams are now realising that you need superstar forwards to win finals.. Obviously Edwards is good but if guys like Rocca and Tarrant go missing in finals, i can't see this guy winning anyone a flag?? Good luck to him if he gets another shot, but i think teams should be looking for young blokes who could be the next Pavlich, Brown etc..

Ian Callinan, surely this boy deserves chance.....

All Aus under 18, consistenly in best 5 players in the vfl for 4 years and won the liston last year. Surely a club will take a punt and rookie list him

Evvo said:
Ian Callinan, surely this boy deserves chance.....

All Aus under 18, consistenly in best 5 players in the vfl for 4 years and won the liston last year. Surely a club will take a punt and rookie list him
Was not in the best 5 last year, was not in the best 22, and probably not in the best 30.
Unlikely to get drafted after his worst year! His chance has passed.

Without a doubt Patrick Rose has to be drafted this year, or at least rookied. Seen him play a lot of footy and he is a standout at Williamstown and also the VFL. He tore that final apart against Geelong, Geelong listed player Sheringham had no hope. When will people wake up and realise this guys potential? Surely others think the same...

Not anything to do with the fact he was off injured with a corkie mate? the same one he was off with in the last quarter vs Geelong... which could be argued cost Willy the game as he was there only dangerous forward.
His year proves he has AFL potential, along with the interest of many clubs.

Good call 13-CABS.

Patty deserves a chance and who could forget that collision with Tim Hazell against Port Melbourne. A very courageous effort to get up after such a heavy bump.

I hope he gets an opportunity.

onslaught said:
I'll nominate some draft chances from Port, others care to suggest players from their club?

- Warren Carlyle, had a terrific year as a lone hand rucking.
- Matt Smith, solid season after being injured for years on Adelaide's list.
- Rhys Bloomfield, rookie chance for the mobile tall.
- Nick Raines, had a very good second half of the year. Could be a rookie chance.

Robert Castello from Werribee is my roughy to get picked (as a Bulldogs rookie)
Matt Smith was never really injured, just not good enough to play afl and doubt he will...solid state league player...btw, sturt missed him this year...wish he was back... :(

13-CABS said:
Without a doubt Patrick Rose has to be drafted this year, or at least rookied. Seen him play a lot of footy and he is a standout at Williamstown and also the VFL. He tore that final apart against Geelong, Geelong listed player Sheringham had no hope. When will people wake up and realise this guys potential? Surely others think the same...
Looked a dynamic sort of player, but doubt he would cut it in AFL for very long.. He's the type if given a chance who might kick 4 or 5 early then be finished after 10 games!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back