Remove this Banner Ad

Eago77

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2001
On my Koyt
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I'll go first:

5- Tredders - seems his new hair-do has improved his kicking. 12 marks, 19 touches, 7 goals, now that's a dominant performance.
4- Schoey - Thought his set-up work was outstanding, never missed a target and set up many shots at goal. Was he the quarter-back today?
3- Gav - Average first half, had a heap of the ball in the last half another quality game.
2- Stevens - sorry but 34 touches will only give you 2 votes, tough call but i just thought the other 3 played better.
1- James - although didn't get a heap of it (mainly due to the amount of bench sitting he did) he used the ball beautifully yet again.

Very Unlucky - Cochrane, Peter Burgoyne.

Coaching 7/10 - Williams managed to out coach the little fat kid from Hey Dad, but then again i reckon i'd be able to do that. Some good match ups, Cochrane on Pavlich & Wilson on Medhurst proved an advantage to us.

Umpiring 7/10 - The umpires didn't seem to pay much earlier on, not sure if that contributed to the scrappyness of the game. Not a terrible performance but not a great one.

5 - Tredrea. Ok, the debate on All-Australian CHF for 2003 is over :D Tredders having two 7 goal performances in the last 3 weeks must have opposition coaches having nightmares. He's always been able to punish sides by creating lots of goals, but not single handedly being the difference in the scoring. Now he can be that as well.
4 - Stevens. Please sign ASAP! No one can dare mention soft receiver and Nick in the same sentence anymore.
3 - Wanganeen. Hopefully he gets the 1 vote in the Brownlow from the match. With Voss out for some matches his chance to consolidate the lead.
2 - Schofield. When Schoy's putting on a bump you know the teams playing tough football.
1 - P. Burgoyne. Another who once again showed he's no longer just flashy.

Honorable mentions - Cochrane. Must be best trade by any club when weighted against what was given up to get him.
Wilson - poor bugger. Playing a great shut down game. Hopefully with the break coming up only missed next week.

Coaching - 8 out of 10. Good to see Salopek and Cassisi given a run even if due to injuries. Match-ups looked good from the start.
Umpires - 8 out of 10. Didn't notice them. As stated before that's what I want.

5 - Tredrea, I was dicing up not giving him the 5 votes, in place of...

4 - Stevens, four quarters of strong running and hard work, who only just touched out...

3 - Schofield, set us up nicely in the first half,running the show on the defensive side of centre but was only marginally better than...

2 - Wanganeen, Stevens and Schoey with more complete games are the only reason for Wangas falling down the votes. Tough love.

1 - Wilson, completely and utterly shut down Medhurst who ended up with 6 touches, 2 marks and no scoring shots.

5 - W. G.
4 - Stevens
3 - Cochrane
2 - The Gavin
1 - P. Burgoyne (the play in which he dropped a mark, I believe, collected the ball, turned and got straight up, would have been the best individual play of the year IMO, had he finished off...)

5 - Tredrea. Seemed like Polak might hold him for a while but he started getting the ball halfway through the first quarter(when he kicked his first goal) and never looked back. Beat Pavlich too, who had a forgettable game that he was constantly reminded of by the Port crowd.

4 - Schofield. Strong in the first half when Freo were shutting down the game. Took control of the midfield in the 3rd and gave the drive we needed to take control.

3 - Stevens. 34 touches and was there to back up his colleagues whenever needed. Schoey and James allowed him to play the receivers game that he does best.

2 - Gav. Wasn't sure whether to give him 2 or 3. In the end I decided to put Stevens above him for weight of possessions and in particular because quite a few of Gav's possessions came from perfect kick-ins from Stevens.

1 - P.Burgoyne. The forward line functions perfectly when he is on song and he was yesterday. Very disappointing that after his marvellous trap and turn he was only able to kick a point, although it was probably just as well for the roof of the grandstand that he missed. :D

Two who can count themselves unlucky are James and Cochrane, but there are only 5 votes.

5. Tredrea - leading by example and coming into some real fitness which is concerning to all opponents.

4. Stevens - racked up the possesions again.

3. Cochrane - another scalp in Pavlich.........I had him lucky to play half the season with us at the beginning of the year but he has certainly earnt his spot in the side - trade recruit of the year given the price.

2. Gav - 2nd in possesions with 30 and equal team high 4 tackles....not outstanding but stood up when it counted......perhaps we expect a bit too much at times but quality touches would have got him 1 brownlow vote.

1. Schofield - starting to come into the form we expect with an ever improving mid field..........backed himself a few times which is a good sign.

Unlucky..........Senior Burger, Wilson & Wakelin.

Coaching - 8.5/10 - completely outmatched Freo but then I thought that was always going to happen after the pre season match fiasco.

Umpires - 7/10 - again inconsistent but nothing favouring either side.

5. Warren G. Tredrea - the machine.
4. Nick Stevens - run, get ball, run, kick, run, gather, run, handpass, run. Simple, but effective.
3. Schofield - still loving his directors role.
2. Cochrane - great job on the Pavleech, maybe they'll stop wasting his height & talent in midfield.
1. De Gavinator.

Coaching - pretty good. With Salopek and Cassisi coming in (and Hardwick out), I thought we might've been a bit light on for small defenders, but that appears not to have been the case.

Umpiring - poor first quarter, average from then on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Freo to win, they needed Pavlich to fire, plus one of their forwards to score goals. The danger man was Medhurst.
For us to win, we needed someone up front to fire and score goals.

On that basis
5. Tredrea. In the last quarter, I didn't think Pavlich went on him, but more like Pavlich helped to double team him, with Pavlich in front, and Polack behind him. Perhaps the TV can be deceptive.

4. Cochrane. What a find he is turning out to be. Deceptively tall, as when next to Pavlich, he didn't seem that much shorter.

3. Wilson. Hardwick did it using schoolyard bully tactics. Wilbur was just too good, and too strong. He is getting better by the week.

For the next two votes, I made it out of Stevens, Wanganeen, James, Big Burger and Schofield. Tough choice.

2. Stevens. He got it a lot, and did give us a lot of run.

1. P. Burgoyne. He is having an outstanding year. Would have been goal of the year if only he didn't miss.

Wanganeen eventually got a lot of the ball, but skill level was down on recent times.
Freo were so scared of him, they made sure that whenever he got near the ball, forward or back, there were at least two players in position to tackle him.
That made it easier for our other smalls to create space.

Coaching 9/10. When we started the game, we looked for Tredrea and Cornes too much. That not only looked ugly, but didn't work. We altered our approach to suit, and results followed.
Freo's only plan was to try and negate. Cannot win games that way.

Umpires 8/10. As long as they are not overly visible and too inconsistent on the day, we can put up with the inevitable mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back