Powderfinger 20-1

Powderfinger... Where do we start? A staple of Australian rock for two decades, countless hits, ripper albums and a great live show. They were one of my favourite bands growing up, and whilst I've since moved in a new direction with my music taste, I still see them as a great Australian band. Seen them live countless times, and met the band a few times too. Collected every one of their CDs (albums, singles, eps) that there was to collect (except for the elusive Blue EP).

It's been seven years now since they called it quits (for now) and this is a look back at some of my favourite songs of theirs. Now, for the average fan, this list may be controversial as there are a few hits of theirs that I would call more of a miss ;)

Here goes with number 20:

Head Up In The Clouds. Now I've added the live version from the Across The Great Divide tour, as this was the show that kicked off my love for this song. Incidentally, I was also reading a book called 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime' around the same time of the tour, which is what this song is based on.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Powderfinger... Where do we start? A staple of Australian rock for two decades, countless hits, ripper albums and a great live show. They were one of my favourite bands growing up, and whilst I've since moved in a new direction with my music taste, I still see them as a great Australian band. Seen them live countless times, and met the band a few times too. Collected every one of their CDs (albums, singles, eps) that there was to collect (except for the elusive Blue EP).

It's been seven years now since they called it quits (for now) and this is a look back at some of my favourite songs of theirs. Now, for the average fan, this list may be controversial as there are a few hits of theirs that I would call more of a miss ;)

Here goes with number 20:

Head Up In The Clouds. Now I've added the live version from the Across The Great Divide tour, as this was the show that kicked off my love for this song. Incidentally, I was also reading a book called 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime' around the same time of the tour, which is what this song is based on.

a diamond in the rough in what was a weak era of the finger.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought Golden Rule and Dream Days both had some very good songs and not much that was particularly weak, but they were raking over old ground at that point. For example, Lost and Running is not a bad song, but sounds like any number of previous Powderfinger songs.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
18. Bless My Soul

First released on 'Fingerprints: The Best of Powderfinger 1994 - 2000'

not a bad track but I reckon you can throw a blanket over a few of the bland easy rock tracks of that era: bless my soul, stumblin', sunsets...

17. Since You've Been Gone

Not to be mixed up with Kelly Clarkson, this beauty was released on Vulture Street in 2003. I believe it was written about the passing of Bernard's brother? This song is pretty cringe-worthy to see live, because the band always seem to pause for the "ahhhhhh ahhhhh hhaaaa" part, and I'm just not sure about the vocal range of the average crowd member. :p

Yeh nice. My favourite and the most underrated song on vulture st for mine.
It's absolutely the most underrated song on the album. That whole album is pure gold though, so it's hard to rate the songs individually. Pockets is another underrated song from Vulture Street too.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's absolutely the most underrated song on the album. That whole album is pure gold though, so it's hard to rate the songs individually. Pockets is another underrated song from Vulture Street too.

Ha. My second favorite on the album.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Worth about $600-700 in its peak. Not sure what they're worth today.

Yeh it took a while to track one down. I didn't pay half that though. Probably got it about 10 years ago, hence the sketchyness of its current location.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Great track. Could potentially be higher on my list! Bernard was doing this solo on the keys on his tours in recent years which turned out great.

Last edited:
Great track. Could potentially be higher on my list! Bernard was doing this solo on the keys on his tours in recent years which turned out great.
Oh wow really? I haven't been to any of his solo tours yet. Might try to get to his gig at The Gov. If I had've known sooner that he does 'Finger songs too, I probably would've gone to his last tour.

Back