Power Balance

Remove this Banner Ad

So firstly Ben, you got involved in Monavie. Epic scam fail 1. (linky: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436405)

Now Power Bands: Epic Fail 2.

And I also note you have a platinum BigFooty membership.

Trifecta. :thumbsu:

BTW, I have a cheque that came to me by the way that was in your name Ben and it ended up in my hands. No idea how, but it's some lottery prize you apparently won (congrats). It's $100K, so you'd be over the moon. The bank tells me they can clear the cheque for me for $850 and have it in your account A-SAP, so if you want it mate, PM me and we'll sort something out. :thumbsu:

Very interesting. It seems some people are just pleading to get ripped off or to rip off others.

For mine this Power Balance thing is just another way to suck people into parting with their money. Holograms...... lol.

So firstly Ben, you got involved in Monavie. Epic scam fail 1. (linky: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436405)

Now Power Bands: Epic Fail 2.

And I also note you have a platinum BigFooty membership.

Trifecta. :thumbsu:

BTW, I have a cheque that came to me by the way that was in your name Ben and it ended up in my hands. No idea how, but it's some lottery prize you apparently won (congrats). It's $100K, so you'd be over the moon. The bank tells me they can clear the cheque for me for $850 and have it in your account A-SAP, so if you want it mate, PM me and we'll sort something out. :thumbsu:
its_a_trap.jpg

Very interesting. It seems some people are just pleading to get ripped off or to rip off others.

For mine this Power Balance thing is just another way to suck people into parting with their money. Holograms...... lol.

It's not the hologram.. it's the frequency thats embedded in the hologram. Sheesh.

;)

I strap a microwave to my back when I work out. I set it for 25 mins at medium cook and find that combo of micro waves gives me better strength, balance and recovery.

:D

I ran 20km on Sunday morning with a microwave on my back, but I put my titanium seat post in from my bike, just for the stabilising effect. Ran a personal worst by almost 2 hours, but I tell you what, I NEVER, NEVER lost balance.

An old work colleague of mine contemplated buying one and the only advice I could give was "buy a livestrong band, contribute to the cancer fight, and keep the remaining $58 for a decent slab of beer". Wouldn't Brendan Fevola wearing one be a strong enough deterrent?

I am incredibly skeptical as well, but i just got given one, and will try it out in soccer tomorrow and let you guys know what i think.

I really don't think it will work, I mean the tests to me seem like a load of hogwash, but if it is a placebo that works - well people have paid more money for sugar pills...

Then again I have this image of myself cutting this thing off my wrist at half time tomorrow, and blaming it for my crap first half

I am incredibly skeptical as well, but i just got given one, and will try it out in soccer tomorrow and let you guys know what i think.

I really don't think it will work, I mean the tests to me seem like a load of hogwash, but if it is a placebo that works - well people have paid more money for sugar pills...

Then again I have this image of myself cutting this thing off my wrist at half time tomorrow, and blaming it for my crap first half

who u play for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it really matter if it's a placebo effect? The placebo effect has been shown to improve how you feel/perform.

I'd compare it to the calm that some spiritual and religious people can get by believing in God/the afterlife etc. None of that s**t may exist, but if you genuinely believe in it & it calms you down, it will actually make you feel better.

If athletes can convince themself they have an advantage, they probably will perform better.

Does it really matter if it's a placebo effect? The placebo effect has been shown to improve how you feel/perform.

It would matter from a legal and ethical viewpoint because it would mean the manufacturers are spreading falsehoods about their product's performance enhancing ability.

Somone who pays $60 for a plastic band that is supposed to align their energies should expect that their energies will be aligned. Hell they should be able to expect that such energies exist too!

Also lets not confuse the perception by wearers that they are performing better with actual tangible performance gains which a double blind test would be capable of identifying, and as yet there is no evidence of that.

So I tested it out a bit, during a game and training.

To be honest I don't know how you test the results...I didn't play any better, didnt fall over, but I am not a diver :p

Training was the same... didnt feel any different, I do genuinely think if it has results it is a placebo...

Interesting point is this though, when my mate and I were trying out the tests for the band that are shown on its website the tests always seemed to work (i.e. more balance while wearing the band, vs not wearing it) But, I wonder if this is just due to the types of tests that they have chosen. Still very skeptical....

So I tested it out a bit, during a game and training.

To be honest I don't know how you test the results...I didn't play any better, didnt fall over, but I am not a diver :p

Training was the same... didnt feel any different, I do genuinely think if it has results it is a placebo...

Interesting point is this though, when my mate and I were trying out the tests for the band that are shown on its website the tests always seemed to work (i.e. more balance while wearing the band, vs not wearing it) But, I wonder if this is just due to the types of tests that they have chosen. Still very skeptical....

Of course thier tests are chosen to prove they work. Sif they would ever use a test where there is a chance it will make the product look bad

Of course thier tests are chosen to prove they work. Sif they would ever use a test where there is a chance it will make the product look bad

I prob didnt explain myself properly there, what i mean is i believe the tests they have chosen skew the affect. Obviously they wouldn't pick tests that dont work, but i feel like the specific tests they have chosen might be "rigged" in the way they actually work

But what do i know

Surely it's false advertising by them? I just noticed they're selling them at Rebel Sport now.

http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/product_detail.aspx?id=34556&cat=

In the description they say:

"

• You've seen them on the top athletes throughout the world, such as NBA, Surfing Champs, Nascar Drivers & NRL Stars.
  • The bands are simply a wearable wristband that gives you increased balance, strength and flexibility.
  • Benefits include: Increased balance, Strength & flexibility.
  • NRG holograms are embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field to improve balance, strength & flexibility.
  • When the hologram comes into contact with your body's energy field, the body interacts with the natural frequency stored within the hologram. The result is increased positive energy flow through the body.
  • You must wear the band to achieve the benefits.
  • They can be worn on the wrist or the ankle under socks, NRL players have them strapped during games, NBA players wear them in team colours.
  • Sizes: Small 175mm, Medium 190mm, Large 205mm, all measurements are the circumfrence of the band (the length of the band if cut and layed flat)"
Are they able to sell it with those claims without any proof?

Did a second 12 km run yesterday. I used the powerband as an experiment. Got through the run (stopping once with a stitch :p), I did alright. However, I have worked f***ing hard to get my fitness to where it is today, and refuse to acknowledge the band did anything.

I didnt pay for my band thankfully. A friend gave it to me claiming it was just amazing.

Did a second 12 km run yesterday. I used the powerband as an experiment. Got through the run (stopping once with a stitch :p), I did alright. However, I have worked f***ing hard to get my fitness to where it is today, and refuse to acknowledge the band did anything.

I didnt pay for my band thankfully. A friend gave it to me claiming it was just amazing.

Fairly famous phrase around Hawthorn. :thumbsu:

:) ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back