Power Grid

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Falcons, Man. City
I work in IT consulting, the India/Australia map is perfect for a game after work, I just haven't got around to it yet. I love the auctions and the interaction with the resource market. One of my favourites, but I know a lot of people who think its a bit dry.

You'll also need:

http://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=PowerGridSet

PowerGridSet1a.jpg

They are fantastic ... By the way a friend of mine won a game recently buying up junk as the special rules for the game had great replenishment rates for it.
We played on my birthday, and I won because nobody else had played it. Although that was half a game with a ten year old. It seemed pretty bloody obvious to make a beeline for the cluster of towns with cheap connections in western Germany even though I had not started there because a GERMAN had beaten me to it.

I took a tip from the web and used poker chips instead of the paper notes - heaps better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are fantastic ... By the way a friend of mine won a game recently buying up junk as the special rules for the game had great replenishment rates for it.
Easy to make with some bake-at-home clay if you're keen to have a bash I think.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Played this for the first time recently. Only two players though, but even then it was engaging. Imagine four player would be excellent.

I'm one of those people who like think about rule changes that would enhance a game, wondering what you guys think of this one:

For the "renewable" power plants, whilst they don't consume resources, (advantage) one could say that in real life they are less reliable and dependant on weather. You cannot just "buy" more wind! What if, instead of it being able to power a fixed number of cities, your rolled a 12 sided die, say with numbers [-2, -1, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2) and then added that to the number of powerable cities printed on the card?

Would it add too much luck to the game, or ruin it in any other way? The main concern I have is come that ladl turn when you see who can power the most cities (to determine winner) it could all hinge on one die roll. Perhaps you'd need to put an exception in there.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Played this for the first time recently. Only two players though, but even then it was engaging. Imagine four player would be excellent.

I'm one of those people who like think about rule changes that would enhance a game, wondering what you guys think of this one:

For the "renewable" power plants, whilst they don't consume resources, (advantage) one could say that in real life they are less reliable and dependant on weather. You cannot just "buy" more wind! What if, instead of it being able to power a fixed number of cities, your rolled a 12 sided die, say with numbers [-2, -1, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2) and then added that to the number of powerable cities printed on the card?

Would it add too much luck to the game, or ruin it in any other way? The main concern I have is come that ladl turn when you see who can power the most cities (to determine winner) it could all hinge on one die roll. Perhaps you'd need to put an exception in there.
Aren’t the renewables more expensive at first to compensate afterwards? They aren’t a free hit.

On players, it’s definitely better with at least three. It’s one of those games where the special rules for 2 player play really wrecks how good it can be.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Aren’t the renewables more expensive at first to compensate afterwards? They aren’t a free hit.

On players, it’s definitely better with at least three. It’s one of those games where the special rules for 2 player play really wrecks how good it can be.

Yeah they cost a bit up front but after that you don't fuel them. In my example the expected outcome from a probably point of view stays the same, so prices can remain as is; it just adds a chance dimension.

But yeah, I've gotta get paying with more people, i think resource scarcity and network blocking could become a bigger factor.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Get at least 4 other people of equal intellect ion and strategy and you will have a ball ...
I've only played it twice, and the 2nd time was at CANCON with 3 people who had played it a sh*t ton. Not my worst gaming experience but felt like a goldfish swimming with sharks. Having said that they were all quite good with giving (non-condescending) advice.

Back