Game Day Power v Eagles. - Ducks go quack and Drew lives to fight another day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I've stood up for the umps more than anyone on this board and I understand how hard it is. But players cant just let go straight away when they feel the tackle slip high....in real time! The problem with Shuey is that he exaggerates the high contact by spinning and throwing the head back. The ump should be looking at where the tackle first starts, in this case I don't think they could see it so the high was given.

One of the issues is that umps can't go in with preconceived views on how players act and need to pay every free how they see it (unless you're Buddy Franklin and have a 'natural arc' when kicking for goal!). They cant assume that the Shuey lifted his arm, and if they didn't see it then they pay the free. But not seeing something doesn't make it the right decision.

Someone needs to get Schwab if raising the arm in a tackle is allowed, and if not why is this case not play on.

I partly did that just to see your response. The bold bit I agree with and if he didn't see it he didn't see it. The AFL should have pointed that out - if no ump saw it then they can't pay a free. The game would descend into farce so quickly if umps their decision on what they thought happened. Most people are reasonable when its not their team that just lost a sudden death final and understand that. The AFL is such a control obsessed organisation that it can't acknowledge that tho. Not a good sign for an organisation really.

ButI think Polec had the opportunity to let go before that tackle looked its worse. He hadn't even made contact with his other harm at that point.

At the end of that game all I was wanting was the ending with the most heartache.

I hope that the finals this weekend end in similar but different heartache.

I want every player that loses a final to be contemplating why they even do what they do.

I partly did that just to see your response. The bold bit I agree with and if he didn't see it he didn't see it. The AFL should have pointed that out - if no ump saw it then they can't pay a free. The game would descend into farce so quickly if umps their decision on what they thought happened. Most people are reasonable when its not their team that just lost a sudden death final and understand that. The AFL is such a control obsessed organisation that it can't acknowledge that tho. Not a good sign for an organisation really.

ButI think Polec had the opportunity to let go before that tackle looked its worse. He hadn't even made contact with his other harm at that point.
you'll notice the Gray was signalling that the arm came up so he obviously saw it, but the controlling ump just lost view with a couple of Port players in the way. There is always the chance that the controlling ump did see and decided to let it go but was 'over ruled' by the other ump and he second guessed himself. I have no issue with the free being called, because I know umps are doing there best, I do have an issue with the AFL coming out and blatantly contradicting their own video. This was the perfect chance for the AFL to make a stance against the tactic. They could have come out and said, this is a really difficult situation for umpires to be in and we need players to stop doing it. Shuey is one of the main perpetrators and the AFL could have come out and clearly told him what he is doing is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back