Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Footy Classified and one stat they bought up was pressure rating.

Our 3rd quarter pressure rating was the lowest since 2017. :eek:

I really do think the problem was we got ahead of ourselves and thought the game was over and we could coast to the siren, I hope it does not become endemic of our footy this season, it can be hard to turn around that mindset.

I really do think the problem was we got ahead of ourselves and thought the game was over and we could coast to the siren, I hope it does not become endemic of our footy this season, it can be hard to turn around that mindset.
I will give them credit for being able to pick it back up again, especially after dropping off as far as they did.
They finished the game with a pressure rating of 201 out n the last quarter.
But they had given the Blues too much confidence after the third.

Still managed 7 scoring shots. Amazing that if we'd kicked as expected we still should've managed 4 or 5 goals

Wonder if it's as simple as our defensive transition out of the midfield still being subpar.

We know our defence is suspect when we're not slowing teams down in the midfield.

Wonder if teams might look at dragging Dunkley away from the play

I will give them credit for being able to pick it back up again, especially after dropping off as far as they did.
Still managed 7 scoring shots. Amazing that if we'd kicked as expected we still should've managed 4 or 5 goals
They also showed footage of those 2 easy misses from Charlie and Hippy which if taken would have put us 58 points up... still grates.

Wonder if it's as simple as our defensive transition out of the midfield still being subpar.

We know our defence is suspect when we're not slowing teams down in the midfield.

Wonder if teams might look at dragging Dunkley away from the play
Jarryd Lyons in the team certainly doesn't help, would prefer Dev Robertson this week if ready to go.

They also showed footage of those 2 easy misses from Charlie and Hippy which if taken would have put us 58 points up... still grates.

When we missed those two goals, I didn’t expect we’d lose but I turned to my mate at the game and said those goals would have put them away.

So much had to go wrong for us and so much had to go right for the Blues for that result to eventuate.

I’d be excited with the win as a Blues fan but some are deluded as to why they won.

it goes to mindset at home for me. We didn’t think the game was alive then. It was all so casual.

Pressure rating in the third others have noted i am not surprised. How we put that out there is such an indictment though - clearly the game was alive at half time. We should have been angry and fired up. Baffling.

Is anyone else surprised we didn’t just try to smash it through for the draw at the end? We would have known how much time. Once that long kick was a ball-up a win was highly unlikely. Draw would have at least made percentage all but irrelavant.

I had a good read through that link to Functional Patterns, looks good. I am going to pass it on to my son who has a degenerative condition of the discs, he's 39 now and has had consistent back pain all his adult life.

Now I wish I was on commission!
Joke - if it helps I'm happy to have shared. Chronic pain and inflammation sucks.

If he goes, please let me know how it goes.

These look like great programs.
I think a few of us probably qualify for broken people or bodies, gees my back is sore at the moment, might have to pump a few anti inflamitries into me. But you know what.
You might have inspired me again though Gads to get back into my pilates program, basically gives you strong glutes, thigh muscles, and abbs. Although my hipflexes are always tight, my hammys have been tight since I was a kid , never been flexible and even when I'm pilate fit , it's only when I went to a good remedial massage , it released.
You can only do so much I think , it often comes down to how you are built, but never stop trying to build strength to compensate .

Kiddy was he just unlucky.
I think as soon as he kicked the ball , the follow through with his kick struck another player , his upper thigh was stopped suddenly unfortunately his lower leg kept going with the momentum.
Looked like a hyperextension, not much strengthening would of helped him , I wouldn't think.
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more when players kick in congestion with bodys and legs everywhere.

Edit: Might have to get back into prioritising stretching as well , just done a hipflex stretch, ahhh that's better.

Never give up!! I have been doing pilates since 2001 and it is awesome. Dan Rich is fan. Elemental pilates in ashgrove - guy (Steve) looks like a union player but was a ballet dancer - was the best I've been to. does small class and has a cheap six week introduction offer. Again, I don't get a kickback.

I survived a car accident 50 years ago - Broke a steel bar with my head. Did immense irreparable damage to neck and spine and acquired a brain injury that persists. Knock yourself out, but I've heard all the jokes already.

There isn't a physical technique or fad I haven't tried.

Fwiw the wellness thing that has been incredible fighting inflammation for me is the grounding / earthing sheets. Very Pete Evans but there's actually real science behind it - SPECT scans measure pressure and grounding reduces that pressure (inflammation). Used in hospitals for pre term babies.

I get a sheet 0.7m*2.4m, put it across the bottom of the bed, plug it in and my feet and legs are in contact overnight.

You can get them cheap off eBay.

I'm pretty beat up though, partner hasn't noticed any changes from it cause you know, normal and all..

Never give up!! I have been doing pilates since 2001 and it is awesome. Dan Rich is fan. Elemental pilates in ashgrove - guy (Steve) looks like a union player but was a ballet dancer - was the best I've been to. does small class and has a cheap six week introduction offer. Again, I don't get a kickback.

I survived a car accident 50 years ago - Broke a steel bar with my head. Did immense irreparable damage to neck and spine and acquired a brain injury that persists. Knock yourself out, but I've heard all the jokes already.

Fwiw the wellness thing that has been incredible fighting inflammation for me is the grounding / earthing sheets. Very Pete Evans but there's actually real science behind it - SPECT scans measure pressure and grounding reduces that pressure (inflammation). Used in hospitals for pre term babies.

I get a sheet 0.7m*2.4m, put it across the bottom of the bed, plug it in and my feet and legs are in contact overnight.

I'm pretty beat up though, partner hasn't noticed any changes from it cause you know, normal and all..
I love your stuff on health/wellbeing Gadz, I do know Earthing is a real thing and has science behind it, I walk barefoot in the park behind my place a couple of times a week, not backwards though.:D

Another thing I will divulge is that I started eating Carnivore style on the 23rd of January, I eat nothing but meat, eggs, salt and a very small amount of dairy ie. half a glass of Goats milk a day and sometimes a stick of butter. Feeling fantastic!

I love your stuff on health/wellbeing Gadz, I do know Earthing is a real thing and has science behind it, I walk barefoot in the park behind my place a couple of times a week, not backwards though.:D

Another thing I will divulge is that I started eating Carnivore style on the 23rd of January, I eat nothing but meat, eggs, salt and a very small amount of dairy ie. half a glass of Goats milk a day and sometimes a stick of butter. Feeling fantastic!

I'm still sold on blue zone foods, but whatever works is great.

Cheers,
I'm looking into these earth sheets, I try to avoid the antiinflammatory pills so thanks for this.
Come on, your getting commission right :D
Pilates is king.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you go through a period of horrific diahorrea? When you first started.
I have heard that’s a thing.

Did you go through a period of horrific diahorrea? When you first started.
I have heard that’s a thing.
No not really, what has happened though is that I do not need to go to the the toilet anywhere near as often as when I ate copious amounts of fruits and vegetables. I admit that it was concerning to me at first even though I in no way felt constipated, turns out the reason is that meat/eggs are such nutrient dense foods(the most dense in fact of any food source) that your body utilises all the nutrients in the food so there is very little in the way of waste for the body to get rid of.

No not really, what has happened though is that I do not need to go to the the toilet anywhere near as often as when I ate copious amounts of fruits and vegetables. I admit that it was concerning to me at first even though I in no way felt constipated, turns out the reason is that meat/eggs are such nutrient dense foods(the most dense in fact of any food source) that your body utilises all the nutrients in the food so there is very little in the way of waste for the body to get rid of.
Have been thinking of giving it a go.

We are a mentally soft team. We always seem to switch off for at least a quarter during games. And on most occasions we can't handle or combat, left field tactics and confronting situation changes from an opposition during a match.

it goes to mindset at home for me. We didn’t think the game was alive then. It was all so casual.

Pressure rating in the third others have noted i am not surprised. How we put that out there is such an indictment though - clearly the game was alive at half time. We should have been angry and fired up. Baffling.

Is anyone else surprised we didn’t just try to smash it through for the draw at the end? We would have known how much time. Once that long kick was a ball-up a win was highly unlikely. Draw would have at least made percentage all but irrelavant.
You still have to ask though, does the coaching group just let the players get away with taking their foot off the pedal nor is it the players. I mean how often does this issue have to rear its head (I mean it happened in our last game the GF) that the players actually realise that they aren’t good enough to shut up shop or are they thick?

You still have to ask though, does the coaching group just let the players get away with taking their foot off the pedal nor is it the players. I mean how often does this issue have to rear its head (I mean it happened in our last game the GF) that the players actually realise that they aren’t good enough to shut up shop or are they thick?
I know it is after the game and not during but Fages did mention in the presser that he will be asking the players what they thought went wrong in that 3rd quarter.
That is making the players accountable.

And I am quite sure that things were addressed during the game but when you have switched off as much as they had it takes time to get it back and unfortunately we had allowed them too much of a role to stop it straight away.

I mentioned in my preview of the Freo game that at the game you could see our players slowly lift from the time that Carlton got to within 2 goals but it was only a bit and then it went up a bit more when they got within a goal, when they got in front the intensity of both teams went to a new level all together. We then stopped the momentum but couldn’t stop the belief we handed them on a platter.

The other thing about scoring a behind is you become far more likely to be the next to score also. Which Collingwood preyed on in their away win against Adelaide last year:

Screenshot_20240312_121823_Tribe.jpg

Note the "Rushed" behinds there. The last one was actually rushed by Collingwood to level the scores. Some Collingwood players even questioned the guy for doing so in the moment (Ash Johnson I seem to recall) but it was actually quite brilliant. From the kick in they were able to lock the ball in their front half, eventually force a turnover for Sidebottom to mark and take a set shot from 40-45.

After that game (First Crack or 360) David King highlighted how teams go from end to end from a kick in 1 in 11 times. There was even conjecture after that game that Sidebottom missed deliberately so that the ball wouldn't go back to the centre, all but ensuring victory with only 20 seconds or so remaining.

I hadn't thought of this till now but it's a good argument twhowler.

The other thing about scoring a behind is you become far more likely to be the next to score also. Which Collingwood preyed on in their away win against Adelaide last year:

View attachment 1925804

Note the "Rushed" behinds there. The last one was actually rushed by Collingwood to level the scores. Some Collingwood players even questioned the guy for doing so in the moment (Ash Johnson I seem to recall) but it was actually quite brilliant. From the kick in they were able to lock the ball in their front half, eventually force a turnover for Sidebottom to mark and take a set shot from 40-45.

After that game (First Crack or 360) David King highlighted how teams go from end to end from a kick in 1 in 11 times. There was even conjecture after that game that Sidebottom missed deliberately so that the ball wouldn't go back to the centre, all but ensuring victory with only 20 seconds or so remaining.

The other thing is that had we forced a behind to level the scores, Carlton would have had the indecision of whether to go for the win or be happy with the draw. That may have opened up our forward line a bit, much more than it was when Carlton led by a point and literally everyone was there.

This is impressive. More emotive than anything we'd get from Fages I imagine, who's always relatively measured and defensive of the players. But, as I say, it's only words for now.

"We probably chose some easy options and were a little bit lazy on defence sometimes," Neale said.

"We didn't dig in, and basically you're shitting on your teammates when you don't do that.

Hopefully his team mates are able to accept this criticism in the constructive manner it's intended, rather than taking it personally.

View attachment 1925804

I don't know if we were prepared for this scenario but why we had guys flying for a mark in a big pack when the ball was 5 yards out and all someone had to do was get a hand to it whack it through to me showed a worrying lack of awareness and selfishness.

Hopefully this has been pointed out.

We've been over and over this game. It's just one of those things that happen and we learn. If we'd won and still lost Kiddy it would've felt like a loss anyway.

When we missed those two goals, I didn’t expect we’d lose but I turned to my mate at the game and said those goals would have put them away.

So much had to go wrong for us and so much had to go right for the Blues for that result to eventuate.

I’d be excited with the win as a Blues fan but some are deluded as to why they won.
I think their excitement has emanated from having so many gun players out and probably mentally conceding a loss before it started. In their minds we couldn't possibly beat them again with their best side in.

Back