Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh Dalions I reckon Fages woud be better off firing a truth bullet or two in his pressers which are pretty much feeding the chooks.

He doesn't have to go overboard or drop anyone in it but when we screw up completely like last week it all sounds a bit comical.
He did put the 1 bad quarter all on the players and that is basically all that Lachie did today.
Lachie just did it with a bit more force.

Coach Pressers are never impressive, very few coaches will publicly ridicule the team or individual players... I have no doubt that the reviews of games under Fagan and Co have been ruthless and truthful behind closed doors.

You don't become a 5 year top 4 side and Grand Finalist with a timid, placating coaching group.

I know you cop flak for Lester 3KZ but fwiiw I agree with you.

I've loved the way Froggy goes about it these last 20 or so games.

The scribes on here go out of their way to pick up any faults in his game but don't apply the same rigorous scrutiny to a few others who maybe could take a leaf out of his effort.

I know he's not the most gifted player going around but he makes the best out of what he has and has made himself a lot better than I ever thought he would be.
I was 100% right about Lester and I am comfortable with that fact. You and I have watched a lot of football and we know what to look for.

Coach Pressers are never impressive, very few coaches will publicly ridicule the team or individual players... I have no doubt that the reviews of games under Fagan and Co have been ruthless and truthful behind closed doors.

You don't become a 5 year top 4 side and Grand Finalist with a timid, placating coaching group.
The selection table this week will be the real test M Malice. If the Mulligans come out Fagan is simply going to look weak.

Those statements come after the review of the game so where do you think they came from?
Lachie Neale would have spoken with the consent and authority of the club. Better to come from the coach though. Was Neale playing ‘bad cop’ to Fagan’s ‘good cop’? Selection will tell us a lot this week.

I dunno. Barassi ,Blight, Sheedy , Malthouse and others who don't instantly spring to mind dropped a bucket on teams and players from time to time and it seemed to have a positive effect on the way they played afterwards.

That is where we will get nothing.

Replacement for Kiddy and maybe JL out I hope.
But that will be about it.
Agree. Anyone who might be in the gun will be given a chance or chances . That's been the policy ever since Fagan came along.

It's not as if we have anyone banging the door down on what we've seen in the pre season.

If we lose again then there could be a change or two.

I hope we don't rush Connor back from a hammy. His role became a lot more important after Friday.

I dunno. Barassi ,Blight, Sheedy , Malthouse and others who don't instantly spring to mind dropped a bucket on teams and players from time to time and it seemed to have a positive effect on the way they played afterwards.
I remember Malthouse being a cranky guy but IIRC most of it was directed at Journos.

Have no recollection as to what Sheedy was like... Barassi and Blight were a long long time ago before I even followed AFL, completely different era culturally too.

Agree. Anyone who might be in the gun will be given a chance or chances . That's been the policy ever since Fagan came along.

It's not as if we have anyone banging the door down on what we've seen in the pre season.

I hope we don't rush Connor back from a hammy. His role became a lot more important after Friday.
I think he has had about a month so that’s a decent time on the side Lines

I remember Malthouse being a cranky guy but IIRC most of it was directed at Journos.

Have no recollection as to what Sheedy was like... Barassi and Blight were a long long time ago before I even followed AFL, completely different era culturally too.
There is not too many coaches that will publicly speak down about certain players or criticise their own performance.

There is not too many coaches that will publicly speak down about certain players or criticise their own performance.
It's all a matter of timing and impact.

Just firing a rocket out on the rare occasion seemed to really have a positive impact back in the day.

Of course those coaches generally had good teams at their disposal , which meant good reserves.

Organisations these days have become so sterile and petrified of offending anybody that any presser sounds exactly the same as anyone else's every week. Don't even know why they bother , it's so boring.

Not advocating anything, just observations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dom Fay made a good point on The Roar Deal today, not verbatim. >

Maybe this group of players are just not good enough as a collective to win the flag, we might be playing as good as we are capable of, sometimes that is the way it is, your opposition is better. You give 100% in preparation but so do a lot of other sides.

Dom Fay made a good point on The Roar Deal today, not verbatim. >

Maybe this group of players are just not good enough as a collective to win the flag, we might be playing as good as we are capable of, sometimes that is the way it is, your opposition is better. You give 100% in preparation but so do a lot of other sides.

But we came within a kick of winning the flag so clearly in that year we were actually good enough. Luck and tweaking our tactics. It doesn't take much.

Simple. One would be Payne out, Gardiner plays back.

Last edited:
Lachie Neale would have spoken with the consent and authority of the club. Better to come from the coach though. Was Neale playing ‘bad cop’ to Fagan’s ‘good cop’? Selection will tell us a lot this week.

It's on field issues that are our problem.

So totally appropriate for a captain to be demanding players meet standards. Standards that will have been developed within the playing group.

This is Captain Lachie's line in the same moment. Hopefully it's a historic moment leading to greater things.

I know you cop flak for Lester 3KZ but fwiiw I agree with you.

I've loved the way Froggy goes about it these last 20 or so games.

The scribes on here go out of their way to pick up any faults in his game but don't apply the same rigorous scrutiny to a few others who maybe could take a leaf out of his effort.

I know he's not the most gifted player going around but he makes the best out of what he has and has made himself a lot better than I ever thought he would be.
I don't go over the top and knock Lester, in fact my post of late have stated he is doing his role, that is why at 30+ years of age he is arguably keeping Prior out of the backline. I haven't read too many post that are too critical of Lester, but there are plenty whipping Hipwood, Payne and others at times.

We made the GF last year and lost by 4 points in one of the great GFs. We lost by 1 point to a top 4 team in our first game and we make that up by beating Hawthorne later in May at Marvel, a team we usually lose to.

IMO there will very little changes for Perth.

IMO Lester is doing his role, he matches up on the oppositions 4th, 5th or 6th best forward, and performs a role. I suspect others on our list could also, but Lesters composure is an advantage, so he currently stays.

I hate tipping comps cause I'm super bad, but have to do the work comp thing. Side note - Why do we have to interact with work people? It should be like BF - anonymous, connect when we feel like it. Bah humbug.

Anyway, I got 1/3 last week so on my normal trajectory. Anyone want to share a strong opinion on dees v Hawks and geelong v saints?

I hate tipping comps cause I'm super bad, but have to do the work comp thing. Side note - Why do we have to interact with work people? It should be like BF - anonymous, connect when we feel like it. Bah humbug.

Anyway, I got 1/3 last week so on my normal trajectory. Anyone want to share a strong opinion on dees v Hawks and geelong v saints?
Yer, people are overrated.

Back