Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

without our full forward and first ruck as well
We play every week with an absent full forward and poor first ruck.

And........the big difference between the Suns win and our loss is they've got a full forward, King, who kicked 5 compared to .....you know who......who was hopeless.

And........the big difference between the Suns win and our loss is they've got a full forward, King, who kicked 5 compared to .....you know who......who was hopeless.
Like it or lump it, Daniher did have a pretty good year last year.
I will admit, last week both he and Oscar were poor.

He doesn’t offer much of a contest

What pure forward does though? Hawkins doesn’t count because all he can do is take the ball in a f50 stoppage.

joey dynamite kicked more goals than king last year whilst also doing ruck chop outs so im not sure what point youre making

Well I guess for starters McKay offered quite da bit more of a contest on the weekend, especially when up against Joe

Yeah but the difference in output isn’t like Bont to Lyons for instance. I think across the season Joe does ok.

McKays build and playing style also suits rucking more than Joe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree a lot of what Montagna said in that video although when he talks about us being outnumbered in the McKay goal play Im pretty sure I can see a spare lions player just inside the 50 straight in front on their own. Problem is they appear to be walking and put their hands on the hips. I cant quite see the number (might start with a 1?) but Im pretty sure its a midfielder who hasn't run back hard enough with their man (probably Cripps)

I saw a clip from Alaistair Lynch on a podcast or something and he spoke in the way he does when he has clearly been told something by someone inside the club.

Effectively the entire dressing room knew Kiddie had done his ACL at halftime and they came out super flat.

Being in front by lots + the deflating news would be difficult to manage mentally. Especially first game out.

Even more annoyed with this effort after seeing Carlton in person last night.

To be clear, Carlton have some great weapons and clear strengths - but they are down two of their most important players. Tarranto and Hopper belted the blues out of the middle for large stretches last night, and Nankervis (who is closer to plodder than AA ruckman) did well to hold down De Koning until the last quarter. Their ball movement remains quite scrappy. They should have won by more last night, but the week before they shot the lights out and stole the game.

We played like idiots for an hour last week, and still should have won if we had kicked straight. Bad kicking is bad football though.

First two games have solidified my view that Carlton is a 5-8 team with some great strengths, but clear weaknesses in approach. They could get on a run and finish top 4 of course.

Carlton's last 7 wins have basically been by less than a kick, so they are definitely getting a bit of the rub of the green at the moment, as opposed to their last few games in 2022 when it went the other way against them.

As a side note - umpires need to start having guts and pay HTB in the last 2 minutes. 3 carlton players wrestled with each other for the ball and then one was tackled; i.e. the collingwood late game hold onto a lead playbook. That should be treated as prior opportunity and penalised.

Even more annoyed with this effort after seeing Carlton in person last night.

To be clear, Carlton have some great weapons and clear strengths - but they are down two of their most important players. Tarranto and Hopper belted the blues out of the middle for large stretches last night, and Nankervis (who is closer to plodder than AA ruckman) did well to hold down De Koning until the last quarter. Their ball movement remains quite scrappy. They should have won by more last night, but the week before they shot the lights out and stole the game.

We played like idiots for an hour last week, and still should have won if we had kicked straight. Bad kicking is bad football though.

First two games have solidified my view that Carlton is a 5-8 team with some great strengths, but clear weaknesses in approach. They could get on a run and finish top 4 of course.

Carlton's last 7 wins have basically been by less than a kick, so they are definitely getting a bit of the rub of the green at the moment, as opposed to their last few games in 2022 when it went the other way against them.

As a side note - umpires need to start having guts and pay HTB in the last 2 minutes. 3 carlton players wrestled with each other for the ball and then one was tackled; i.e. the collingwood late game hold onto a lead playbook. That should be treated as prior opportunity and penalised.

Carlton may have a nice H&A but I don’t necessarily fear coming up against them in a finals series.

Re the Ruck, TDK played so much better in opening round than last night. He was barely serviceable as the solo ruck last night. How much influence nank had on that I don’t know.

Carlton may have a nice H&A but I don’t necessarily fear coming up against them in a finals series.

Re the Ruck, TDK played so much better in opening round than last night. He was barely serviceable as the solo ruck last night. How much influence nank had on that I don’t know.

Nank was doing well to block his run and jump and make it a wrestle. In fairness, TDK was good in the last quarter although the dodgy 50 and the brutal richmond kicking directly to him helped.

Nank was doing well to block his run and jump and make it a wrestle. In fairness, TDK was good in the last quarter although the dodgy 50 and the brutal richmond kicking directly to him helped.

Oscar has always seemed to do well against the better rucks. Finds ways to negate them but then when against the weaker rucks where he should be able to give our mids silver service he gets beaten

Also offers next to nothing around the ground and barely takes a contested mark since becoming a full time ruck

And people quote clearances but we're a high clearance team and most of his result in turnovers.

We also used to be great at scoring from clearances inside forward 50 but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore

Oscar has always seemed to do well against the better rucks. Finds ways to negate them but then when against the weaker rucks where he should be able to give our mids silver service he gets beaten

Also offers next to nothing around the ground and barely takes a contested mark since becoming a full time ruck

And people quote clearances but we're a high clearance team and most of his result in turnovers.

We also used to be great at scoring from clearances inside forward 50 but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore
Can't argue with any of that.

He was good as second banana usually clunked 2 or 3 in the forward line.

Back