Praccy match in Subi next week

Remove this Banner Ad

35eye

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We're counting on Shermie & co to give us all the details next week from the West...

Saturday, March 16:

West Coast v Kangaroos, Subiaco Oval, 12.40pm.

Oh another game outside Victoria. Surprise, surprise. :(

hotham True to the Roos in 2002

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
So Sherm... are you taking the youngster to Perth for the weekend???

Nah, I'm a bit dissapointed RB, I have my cousin's 30th birthday to go to this weekend and I will actually be in Perth next week for work, so I'll be a week too late......(and not very dirty about it!)

Originally posted by Shermanator

Nah, I'm a bit dissapointed RB, I have my cousin's 30th birthday to go to this weekend and I will actually be in Perth next week for work, so I'll be a week too late......(and not very dirty about it!)

He/she is only a cousin... and 30... big deal we all get there eventually... but to see the king and his men play footy... oh well... bad luck...

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

He/she is only a cousin... and 30... big deal we all get there eventually... but to see the king and his men play footy... oh well... bad luck...

Yeah I know, but I had committed myself before the game was announced over here - I have family coming also who want to see the young bloke.

Like I said I'm not happy missing the boys though.:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Praccy match in Subi next week

Originally posted by Shermanator

Sorry 35, I won't be able to give a report for the Roo crew, I can't get there for this game

That's unfortunate. I was really pleased when I heard they were playing a match for the WA faithful. They really deserve it.

Re: Re: Re: Praccy match in Subi next week

Originally posted by 35eye

That's unfortunate. I was really pleased when I heard they were playing a match for the WA faithful. They really deserve it.

Thanks for thinking of the Sandgroper Roos 35.
I have no doubt when the Roos & Weagles battle at Subi during the season proper we will have a huge force like last year - to see the Weagles get belted of course!;) :D

Originally posted by Darky
Well that sux!

Any news on a reserves practice fixture?

Next Sunday 10am at Optus Oval against the Carlton reserves.

I expect a full report Darky cause I won't be there due to a wedding. :(

Originally posted by Malibu

Next Sunday 10am at Optus Oval against the Carlton reserves.

I expect a full report Darky cause I won't be there due to a wedding. :(

You marrying Brandon already :D :D

Yep, didn't I tell you the band coming to Melbourne was really a cover up for our secret wedding!

No, seriously, it's not my wedding, and I hate having to wear a dress!

Subiaco surface worries Pagan

Subiaco surface worries Pagan
Barry Levinson
kangaroosfc.com.au
5:31:13 PM Tue 12 March, 2002

Kangaroos’ coach Denis Pagan is concerned about the hardness of the surface at Subiaco Oval, with the spate of serious knee injuries in Perth continuing last weekend.

The Roos play the West Coast Eagles in a practice match on Saturday afternoon at Subiaco, the venue where star on-baller Anthony Stevens damaged his anterior cruciate ligament in July last year.

Stevens is hoping to return from his knee reconstruction in round three or four of the premiership season.

With Fremantle players Clive Waterhouse and Luke Webster going down with similar injuries at Fremantle Oval against Collingwood last Saturday, and Eagles’ defender Phillip Read damaging his knee at training a few weeks ago and requiring his second reconstruction in a year, Pagan is concerned about the safety of his players, particularly on the eve of the home and away season.

“I’m really worried about that. There’s already been three and I don’t know whether they’ve happened on Subiaco, but you do concern yourself about the surface,” Pagan said.

“I’m going to ring the curator and get a penetrometer reading and hope he can make it a slow track with a bit of water on it.”

While Pagan was not serious about going as far as ringing the curator, he is serious about the issue, particularly when there is little rain in Perth to soften the ground.

“You read a lot of reports and people tell me the grounds are harder in WA and I suppose with the climate there’s a fair chance of that being so.”

“They do seem to happen earlier in the season. I don’t think there’s any rhyme or reason with it. I know the AFL have had some sort of studies on it. It just makes me weary with everybody. Anthony Stevens did his knee at ‘Subi’ last year.”

Serious knee injuries have unfortunately been a part of football for many years and there has been a steady number emanating from games in Perth.

West Coast’s Glen Jakovich and Chad Morrison, St Kilda’s Robert Harvey, Collingwood’s Craig Kelly, Fremantle’s Luke Toia and Paul Maher, and Stevens are some of the players to fall victim to the knee curse on Perth’s hard surfaces.

“No-ones got conclusive evidence that that’s the reason why, but it’s happened on a regular basis,” Pagan said. “Phillip Read just did it at training, didn’t he?”

In their final practice match before the season proper, the Kangaroos will be looking to take their best side over to Perth, minus a few injured stars.

Hamstring victims Mick Martyn and Leigh Colbert will miss, captain Wayne Carey will give his bruised hip a rest and veteran John Blakey (knee) is likely to be given another week off, despite being keen to play.

Pagan is not concerned about Carey missing his second game in three weeks, believing his preparation for the home and away season has been sound.

“I think Wayne’s in pretty good nick,” Pagan said. “He trained very hard over the break. He missed 10 days with a calf and tried very hard until he got that nock on the hip against Sydney. He didn’t play against Collingwood and was a bit sore after the weekend. Look, he could play this week, but we think his preparation’s been pretty good.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back