Game Day Praccy match vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Some players needs their cage rattled a bit - I think Chol does. A run on the ball, or something that creates a call to arms in their mind. That can be hard too create in a squad - not all professionals are self-starters. Some of Cholly's best games appear to have been after a stint in the Ruck.

I used to laugh when my NRL Father in law used to say at half time about Gordon Tallis - ...."just take him into the side room and throw him some raw meat to get him going for goodness sake........" (expletives excluded).
Always played better myself after copping a bit of a whack, bit of a dreamer in my day. Steak tartare for breakfast, never thought of that.

I've seen enough of Chol to make my mind up.
Not in the ruck we haven't. I doubt he's ever played more than half a game as a ruck in his career at Richmond, including VFL. He has been at the club a long time, and as a forward I mostly agree with you, but as a ruckman he's played 3rd fiddle the whole time in the main. Can be handy forward, especially given he never misses a set shot, but as Phar Ace mentions, his best footy is when he is rucking and then resting forward.

Having said that, if CCJ comes on, and he looks pretty likely, then Chol will go back a peg.

Not in the ruck we haven't. I doubt he's ever played more than half a game as a ruck in his career at Richmond, including VFL. He has been at the club a long time, and as a forward I mostly agree with you, but as a ruckman he's played 3rd fiddle the whole time in the main. Can be handy forward, especially given he never misses a set shot, but as Phar Ace mentions, his best footy is when he is rucking and then resting forward.

Having said that, if CCJ comes on, and he looks pretty likely, then Chol will go back a peg.

Think he had a game mid-season in 2019 where he was used as the main Ruck and was underwhelming with Balta as back up. Otherwise he has always been the back up, even when Nank came back we tried Cholly in one final and then dropped him for the rest. But I take your point, it is rare for him to be the main Ruck, and I'm not sure that is his Ace game anyway. But certainly he seems to play his best footy when thrown in there early.

Not sure anyone else felt similar, but that practice match was pretty underwhelming. First hit-out against opposition - I get that, but there was nothing much to hang your hat on I thought. It was very much like rolling your arm over off the pitch to loosen up. I'll get back in my box now until next week
:think: 🕴
It’s about where u wanna be in February

A bloke his size and athleticism should be jumping into packs. Even if you don’t Mark it make a contest and bring it to ground. He does neither.
Biggy was impressive down back. Reads the play well
Biggy is a better prospect than Chol. Chol is scared of the contest. We should not waste games on Chol that can be used to develop another player who has some courage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggy is a better prospect than Chol. Chol is scared of the contest. We should not waste games on Chol that can be used to develop another player who has some courage.
Hate to say it but I 100% agree
Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

Are you blind? Chol has been put in the ruck in the centre several times and didn't go up. Piked it big time. Too scared. Also even though a good kick will never make it as a forward. Crap player who will most likely be delisted at years end.

And assuming we want to play a second ruck he is the only option until R4.
Probably one of the reasons he played ahead of CJ in the praccy.

Early part of the season will show how much he wants it. If he goes through the motions and doesn’t work on those weaknesses then come in CJ

👨‍🌾

Early part of the season will show how much he wants it. If he goes through the motions and doesn’t work on those weaknesses then come in CJ

I would say that is why we took a chance on Samson from Sherwood Magpies in Qld. Huge leap though for him. Still he is more willing in the Ruck on what he showed yesterday.

Probably best to just use Balta to give Nank a chop out until CCJ can come in. Only a few weeks so shouldn't burn Nank out.

Chol has played in the ruck prior to last year, I still maintain he isn't good enough for ruck. He doesn't have enough mongrel in him. The wing would be the best position for Chol and that's it.

Chol has played in the ruck prior to last year, I still maintain he isn't good enough for ruck. He doesn't have enough mongrel in him. The wing would be the best position for Chol and that's it.
Classic case of a tall who doesn't play like one. He has the potential to make quite a good wingman, but he won't make it as a key forward or a ruck unless he gets a bit angrier. I remember Ben Griffiths had the exact same issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back