Game Day Praccy match vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol is what he is. Good VFL player based off his athletic ability alone.

There are worse depth players around hence why he was likely kept. Especially with our lack of forward depth.

But the lack of aggression and work ethic to get to contests isn't going to suddenly do a 180 in his 6th season.

Thought Josh Green showed the most of the supplementary players and that includes Mansell who we have already signed. For someone who is probably around the 191-194cm mark he moves very well for a guy that size and knows how to shark the ball off the ruck tap. His kicking looked a little suspect but given he is only 18, I think he showed there is more to work with than the other guys.

In saying that I thought Couroupis (spelling) showed a cool head and looks like someone who gets the job done without much fuss. Doesn't have the upside or isn't ready to contribute from day 1 for it to be worth signing him permanently but it would be nice to see him become part of our VFL program with a look at maybe drafting him at the end of the year.

MRJ showed everyone why I was speaking highly of him throughout last years draft process. Has a natural hunger and feel for the ball that can't be taught.

They'll sort the wheat from the chaff at the end of the year, several required players become free agents, cull the surplus.

Are you blind? Chol has been put in the ruck in the centre several times and didn't go up. Piked it big time. Too scared. Also even though a good kick will never make it as a forward. Crap player who will most likely be delisted at years end.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Chol fan as such, just reckon his best shot is in the ruck. Yes he's been in the ruck before, as a rookie ruck in the main. Surely he trained over summer as a ruck, so why wasn't he played there that is all because he ain't no forward. If you put a player in the side as a ruck / forward, why wasn't he played there until the last Q.

Chol has played in the ruck prior to last year, I still maintain he isn't good enough for ruck. He doesn't have enough mongrel in him. The wing would be the best position for Chol and that's it.
Couldn’t see him playing that role at afl level , I think his footy nous holds him back, Andrews schooling him in the final. With 10 marks and a dozen spoils said it all. If anything I’d trial him as a chb or fb before completely dismissing him . Right now he is a spare parts pt ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tom green wont come

At least there is one poster on the dees board who gets it...

"If we play like that against richmond in the real thing we will get smashed"

Classic case of a tall who doesn't play like one. He has the potential to make quite a good wingman, but he won't make it as a key forward or a ruck unless he gets a bit angrier. I remember Ben Griffiths had the exact same issue.
Often it looked more to me that Griffo just kept positioning himself ineffectually rather than lacking the will or a strong intent. With Chol it often looks like to me that Chol lacks confidence and often doesn't think he has the right, or the skills, to be flying for some pack mark opportunities - so doesn't fly in case he interferes with one of our other forwards who may be contesting. Also, IMO, he sometimes thinks he probably won't win a ruck contest so doesn't put all of his effort in but stays down to see if he can win the ground ball. Maybe they should give him priority access to Emma for a month or so and if he doesn't improve then just play him in the 2s until his contract is up. If he does improve in effort and intent, then win win.

Thought Josh Green showed the most of the supplementary players and that includes Mansell who we have already signed. For someone who is probably around the 191-194cm mark he moves very well for a guy that size and knows how to shark the ball off the ruck tap. His kicking looked a little suspect but given he is only 18, I think he showed there is more to work with than the other guys.

In saying that I thought Couroupis (spelling) showed a cool head and looks like someone who gets the job done without much fuss. Doesn't have the upside or isn't ready to contribute from day 1 for it to be worth signing him permanently but it would be nice to see him become part of our VFL program with a look at maybe drafting him at the end of the year.

MRJ showed everyone why I was speaking highly of him throughout last years draft process. Has a natural hunger and feel for the ball that can't be taught.
Out of interest what makes you say couroupis doesn’t have the upside

Good summary - what number was on Couroupis' back?

Chol is soft. It pains me to say this about one of our players, but he will never make it. There were countless occasions where he doesnt fly into packs, gets outmuscled, or is caught completely behind the pack. He has been in the system long enough to know that it's simply not up to AFL standard. Either we are waiting for CCJ to get his s**t together, or we are going to go for a Key Forward in the off season. It might seem harsh what i'm saying, but remember QF vs Brisbane last year? What really caught my attention was when Nank got forward, put a body on Andrews, and Jack managed to outmark his direct opponent. If it was Chol in that instance Andrews wouldve dumped him out of the way and killed that long ball in. Unfortunatley he will always be a VFL player who wins contests just with athletisism.

If Chol was gonna make it he would have made it last year. Has a nice set shot on him but so do lots of country footballers.

As someone else was saying it might be worth trialing him as a key backman. That role can dumb the process right down to "stick on your man and spoil the ball". Follow those rules and he might be able to play as relief backman if someone gets injured. I honestly think he's a squib in a giant's body, junior football is full of guys like that. You can't be an AFL footballer if you are a squib. The guy makes Brandon Ellis look like Leigh Matthews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back