News Practice Game v Suns - Feb 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I also assume it was Madden who's kick went off the side of the boot at right angles early in the video which led to a good contested mark.
That was a funny one, I wasn’t sure whether it was deliberate? If it was it was a very strange option. I’ll have to have another look!

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I went along but was managing a 3 year old so only saw bits and pieces. As a general feel I didn't think we got beaten in the contest too badly, but we certainly didn't take our chances, which is what the suns seemed to do every time they went forward. Felt like the ball was constantly just going past us or dropping the wrong side of a contest all of the time for some reason. whether that was bad luck or bad play i didn't watch in enough detail to tell. We really lacked some overlap run out of d50 and kept going wide with kicks (which Fagan blew up about multiple times). FWIW i thought the game was actually a godsend, really highlighted a few things that the boys need to work on and will certainly give fages some ammunition to ask for a heck of a lot more from the guys.

However the most frustrating thing was the suns lack of organisation for the event. Clearly they massively underestimated the amount of people interested which was pretty crap considering they promoted it as a suns family day. They probably would have been fine if it was just suns supporters but there was a much larger Lions contingent than suns at the ground (or at least felt like it given the noise comparison when goals were scored). Lions_Insider some feedback would be that if we're going to promote an event then the suns need to have more than one outlet open to get food and drinks in the whole ground. Trying to get a bottle of water was almost impossible and required a 35 minute wait in line at one point.

They sent an email back to one of our members who raised the same point.
Acknowledged they underestimated the turnout given the initial weather concerns which lead to parking and food issues.

Still poor by the club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just listened to fagan's 3aw interview - for Suns game we had an average age of 20years and average of 9 games in the backline at the start of the game and it showed. He felt they got better as they went along - didn't mention moving Andrews back.

Any link?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just listened to fagan's 3aw interview - for Suns game we had an average age of 20years and average of 9 games in the backline at the start of the game and it showed. He felt they got better as they went along - didn't mention moving Andrews back.

Basically a second string backline without Andrews, Adams/Walker, Gardiner, Rich and Hodge

The midfield getting belted is more of a concern.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard interview too and laughed. Fages all calm, general feeling of it was only a praccy match, young backline, etc etc. This doesn't correlate to the feedback we were getting on the day where he had the teapot stance in full motion during the first three quarters.
I preferred jeds view of the game where he said boys didn't turn up with right attitude. He just put it front and centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes we had a young backline, but what is much more concerning is the experienced midfield we had out there getting belted against a Suns midfield which is lacking stars. Gotta make sure the attitude is right at the start of the games, especially round 1 but hopefully by JLT 1 or 2 we can get off to a good start

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
This weekend I think will tell us a lot more about how we are tracking - against a team we defeated twice last year, so whilst it isn't for premiership points, there'll certainly be individuals in the opposition keen to do well against us for a variety of reasons.

Cuts looking cut!
F2CA87C2-9E6D-4435-A9E1-EA7D1472E809.jpeg

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
This weekend I think will tel. us a lot more about how we are tracking - against a team we defeated twice last year, so whilst it isn't for premiership points, there'll certainly be individuals in the opposition keen to do well against us for a variety of reasons.

After listening to Fagan's interview, I'm not convinced the JLT game V Hawks will be a whole lot different. Coach can give kids valuable exposure to the higher standard & he can put the pedal to the metal when he wants. Happy backing his philosophy of giving the kids a go. Sure most would like to see the team really wound up & winning however, giving our youth time to shine is vital to unearthing future stars & role players.
Personally, I like Fagan's approach, it also saves the kids & I from over 3 1/2 hours in the car, melting or getting drenched & most likely watching the Hawks give our young blokes more experience.
A reminder to any disappointed fans. Did you not think it was clever/cagey that the Swans / Hawks & even going back to Sheedy at the Bombers hardly won practice matches & had ripper years? It's smart. They were genuinely using practice matches with a view to improve the side for the season proper. I'm rapt Fagan & his Team have adopted this philosophy.
Remember folks, there are no prizes for winning Barrier Trials. Winning races pays. 22 more sleeps til our first Race & I have every reason to have faith Fagan 😎 is capable of doing a Bart Cummings with this group.

*edit: grammar correction.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
After listening to Fagan's interview, I'm not convinced the JLT game V Hawks will be a whole lot different. Coach can give kids valuable exposure to the higher standard & he can put the pedal to the metal when he wants. Happy backing his philosophy of giving the kids a go. Sure most would like to see the team really wound up & winning however, giving our youth time to shine is vital to unearthing future stars & role players.
Personally, I like Fagan's approach, it also saves the kids & I from over 3 1/2 hours in the car, melting or getting drenched & most likely watching the Hawks give our young blokes more experience.
A reminder to any disappointed fans. Did you not think it was clever/cagey that the Swans / Hawks & even going back to Sheedy at the Bombers hardly won practice matches & had ripper years? It's smart. They were genuinely using practice matches with a view to improve the side for the season proper. I'm rapt Fagan & his Team have adopted this philosophy.
Remember folks, there are no prizes for winning Barrier Trials. Winning races pays. 22 more sleeps til our first Race & I every reason to have faith Fagan 😎 is capable of doing a Bart Cummings with this group.
I could be wrong but IIRC Fagan and co have said we will be playing our best side in the JLT this year which IMO would be the right move, with Lachie Neale and maybe Jarryd Lyons playing important inside roles this season, they'll need all the practice they can get to work on connections with new team mates. We do not want yet another slow start to the season, being 0-5 going into the Suns game would be so bloody deflating.

I don’t think any club legitimately plays their best 22 in the pre season. For starters, it assumes there is no competition for spots which is clearly not true. You don’t settle on your best 22 at this point of the year. Secondly, best 22 players may not be available right now or there is a risk in playing them which isn’t worth taking in a nothing game. Thirdly, the option of extended benches means there often isn’t even a 22 named.

Preseason games are for fitness, touch and, for young players, teaching. Even if a club names an older player for a preseason game, self preservation dictates that they aren’t going anywhere near as hard as they would in the regular season. So, even if the best 22 was on the field, it is going to be a shadow of itself.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don’t think any club legitimately plays their best 22 in the pre season. For starters, it assumes there is no competition for spots which is clearly not true. You don’t settle on your best 22 at this point of the year. Secondly, best 22 players may not be available right now or there is a risk in playing them which isn’t worth taking in a nothing game. Thirdly, the option of extended benches means there often isn’t even a 22 named.

Preseason games are for fitness, touch and, for young players, teaching. Even if a club names an older player for a preseason game, self preservation dictates that they aren’t going anywhere near as hard as they would in the regular season. So, even if the best 22 was on the field, it is going to be a shadow of itself.
This is from the Courier Mail last week just before the practice game v the Suns, I can't get behind the paywall for the full article but I do recall hearing it elsewhere.

LIONS TO PLAY THEIR BEST TEAM
Brisbane has its gaze firmly on Round 1 and will use all their available players in Saturday’s scratch match with Gold Coast and pick its best sides throughout the JLT Community Series.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
I could be wrong but IIRC Fagan and co have said we will be playing our best side in the JLT this year which IMO would be the right move, with Lachie Neale and maybe Jarryd Lyons playing important inside roles this season, they'll need all the practice they can get to work on connections with new team mates. We do not want yet another slow start to the season, being 0-5 going into the Suns game would be so bloody deflating.

Cheer up Jason. You've given me a flashback 😵

This is from the Courier Mail last week just before the practice game v the Suns, I can't get behind the paywall for the full article but I do recall hearing it elsewhere.

LIONS TO PLAY THEIR BEST TEAM
Brisbane has its gaze firmly on Round 1 and will use all their available players in Saturday’s scratch match with Gold Coast and pick its best sides throughout the JLT Community Series.
I know that’s what the headline say but it is not the reality. For example, Gardiner is aiming to be ready for round 1 but probably won’t play a JLT match. There will likely be others that we decide to be cautious with if they pick up a niggle - guys who would play if it were a real game.

If nothing else, if we take advantage of the extended bench we are playing more than our best side. And you’d like to think that the players on the fringe will want to earn a spot and not think the best side is locked in.

Effectively what Adcock says in the article is that we won’t be resting blokes. I’d take a wait and see on that given there are two games to be played but really it is more a philosophy about what we intend to get out of preseason rather than an absolute guide to round 1 selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back