Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Only had a stinker because he wasn’t up to match speed (duh first praccy match)

He willed us nearly across the line in the last. Just kept driving us forward.
that makes me feel a little better.

As I said above, I reckon Skunk sat out almost the whole 3rd quarter, so he really had an excellent game. First half in particular he was marking everything, all over the ground.

His first half was excellent. I don't remember seeing him much at all after half time. As a spare he looks really good, without an opponent he is an even better mark, he has excellent timing.

Considering the fact it seems incredibly likely they their prime midfield crew in particular played more minutes than ours, that they had their no.1 ruck playing for a chunk of the game and then a 210cm guy the rest- against our 3rd and 4th stringers- and that it was at their home training ground and “spiritual home”, I don’t see any reason for concern at not winning the game.

We’ll obviously still have things to work on, but few if any teams won’t.

On to next week.
This is exactly my take away too. The Scum so obviously went harder at it with a "better" squad and we never got out of a canter. Zero cause for concern.

I wouldn't have called Steele a beautiful user, his kicking doesn't strike me as that, but you're right that he doesn't waste it much. Good decision making, I guess!

He is very clean though. Of the top 20 mids in AFL he doesn't waste possession much ever. Guys like Danger and Fyfe are really messy, Steele doesn't have the same dynamic impact but he's a very neat and reliable disposer of the footy. His 30 disposals are probably worth 45 of theirs in hitting targets.

He is very clean though. Of the top 20 mids in AFL he doesn't waste possession much ever. Guys like Danger and Fyfe are really messy, Steele doesn't have the same dynamic impact but he's a very neat and reliable disposer of the footy. His 30 disposals are probably worth 45 of theirs in hitting targets.
yep. he never laces out a kick through traffic or hits someone running on the other side of the ground over his head but he just makes good decisions and plays between his kicking ability. makes sure he doesn't miss or kicks into space where players will be

yep. he never laces out a kick through traffic or hits someone running on the other side of the ground over his head but he just makes good decisions and plays between his kicking ability. makes sure he doesn't miss or kicks into space where players will be
Actually dissagree on the not hitting someone lace out. I reckon Steele absolutely does do this. In fact what he and Hunter do better the any other player on our list both by hand and foot is make it as easy as possible for their team mates when they give it to them.

Actually dissagree on the not hitting someone lace out. I reckon Steele absolutely does do this. In fact what he and Hunter do better the any other player on our list both by hand and foot is make it as easy as possible for their team mates when they give it to them.
hmm maybe. I guess he's just not flashy is what I meant

Yeah he doesn't have that nice raking kicking style like say JWeb but has a good economical kick that hardly misses. Probably not capable of drilling a 59meter bullet tho

Rob Harvey was the absolute king of the 20-30 meter "lay out" kick. Never drilled it, just popped it out in space to run onto.

Alot of Steele about that too. Rarely sizzles one 3 feet off the deck into someones bread basket so it doesnt "look" as good but its just as effective. Also most forwards prefer it delivered that way cause you can actually mark it in your hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our mid field has not changed.Usual Saints start....
Must be better options than Ross.
Razor ray, great start to the preseason.
Don't rate the new ruck. Great goal but not much else.
Butler & Clark need a rest.
Wood is a forward,not wing.
Forward line ???
Webster absolute rocket. great to have him back.
Billings still missing.

Forward line ???
Billings still missing.

Razor was good he kept giving them goals gave us a score to chase.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have called Steele a beautiful user, his kicking doesn't strike me as that, but you're right that he doesn't waste it much. Good decision making, I guess!
Considering how much of the footy he gets on the inside I'd definitely call him a quality ball user.

Forward line ???
Billings still missing.
I would add
The team is best served with Max King at CHF as a hit up connection between the arch’s

I would add
The team is best served with Max King at CHF as a hit up connection between the arch’s

His best footy and our was with him patrolling the top of the goal square where we drop it in dangerous spots and guys like Butler and Snags can pounce on the spoils.

Are we still disappointed now watching the blues tonight they look very good against a good team

I’m not watching the game but I imagine the Dee’s are feeling pretty comfortable regardless of the result.

Carlton, with their new coach and players on the other hand are extremely keen to get on their supporters good side and bring in a new era. And good on them if they can make good on that throughout the regular season, but I’m not sold yet.

Our game against Carlton, I was definitely more disappointed in our pressure and lack of cohesion then that we lost to “Carlton” - they were clearly a great team to have a hit out against because they weren’t taking the piss.

I’ll chuck on the second half, and give it a squiz

Edit: I’m now watching the third Qtr, and I’ll give to Carlton. They’re looking good, doesn’t mean much at the moment obviously, but very strong with their clearances, and Cripps is looking like his old self. Funnily enough, from what I’ve seen thus far the free kicks are strongly going Carlton’s way yet again. Anyway…

Very excited to watch the saints Essendon game now actually.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back