Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the point of questioning them anyway though? When was the last time you saw one of them say “You know you’re right, here, I’ll change my decision”?

Never ever ever.

It’s a total waste of time and energy and it adds nothing to the game and only sets a bad example for the lower and in particular junior leagues.

They have huge umpiring shortfalls and that’s a problem. Unless of course you want games umpired by the respective teams, like in the schoolyard.

So if cutting down on arguing with them encourages more to start umpiring, at basically no cost to AFL level footy- because the players will adapt quick-smart, if they’re giving away 50m penalties in games for points- then it seems a bit of a no-brained to me.

Just get on with playing and save your energy for doing what you’re payed to do, which is play.

They’ve been questioning umpiring decisions for as long as the game has been played.

Has it ever resulted in a single decision ever being reversed? Not that I’m aware of.

Has it resulted in umpires getting every decision right? Clearly not.

So what does it achieve?

What will we lose if it’s taken out of the game?

Does anyone follow the footy so that they can see those playing arguing with umpiring decisions? Does Ben Long or Dougal Howard going troppo at an ump put bums on seats?

You almost never see Rugby Union or NRL players arguing with the referees.

I wonder if, in footy, it’s because the the umps and players are too “close.” I don’t think it helps when umps are calling players by their nicknames etc - it’s too familiar and pally. There should be some distance between them.

I’d be saying Dustin, not Dusty, Maxy, Steeley etc.

The pally feel might be nice, but it’s hardly professional imo.

You almost never see Rugby Union or NRL players arguing with the referees.

I wonder if, in footy, it’s because the the umps and players are too “close.” I don’t think it helps when umps are calling players by their nicknames etc - it’s too familiar and pally. There should be some distance between them.

I’d be saying Dustin, not Dusty, Maxy, Steeley etc.

The pally feel might be nice, but it’s hardly professional imo.

" Dusty! Dusty! Dusty!.....you need to stop doing that ..... you weren't even trying ....blah blah blah blah "
vs

" Richmond number 4, Holding the ball. Free kick to Carlton - no attempt to dispose "

If my name was Dustin , and my mates called me Dusty, that's not to say i would like my boss, or work acquaintances from other departments calling me that .

Don’t mind the support thrown behind the umps. We need more and we need talent.
Just don’t want to see penalties given for showing emotion. Game is getting more professional but along with that comes a level of sterility

" Dusty! Dusty! Dusty!.....you need to stop doing that ..... you weren't even trying ....blah blah blah blah "
vs

" Richmond number 4, Holding the ball. Free kick to Carlton - no attempt to dispose "

If my name was Dustin , and my mates called me Dusty, that's not to say i would like my boss, or work acquaintances from other departments calling me that .

In the commentary box too. You don’t see that in any other sport worldwide that I can think of.
You either want a professional League, or you don’t.

Almost worse if they improve and we don't.

carlton
norf
freo

they're probably the ones we couldn't stomach going past us.

but we've watched
richmond
western bulldogs
melbourne

do it....

vs

So we’re looking to sanitise the game to a point of complete banality? How exciting.

So we’re looking to sanitise the game to a point of complete banality? How exciting.

You want a professional game or not?
Umps should never be coaching on the field, and those like Razor Ray do… “Don’t do that. If you do it again I’m going to pay a free.”
Seriously? Just pay the free.
That way, fans have no leg to stand on when calling umpires biased.

It’s the game that should be exciting, not the banter between ump and player.

GT was right about that one thing, the umps are not the stars of the show.

Oh you like to watch it for the umpiring drama?

I prefer the footy.

Not interested in the umpiring.
The umpiring is NOT the game.

The crowd throwing empty beer cans onto the ground would be more interesting for you as well i suppose.
( or releasing a pig ).

You want a professional game or not?
Umps should never be coaching on the field, and those like Razor Ray do… “Don’t do that. If you do it again I’m going to pay a free.”
Seriously? Just pay the free.
That way, fans have no leg to stand on when calling umpires biased.

It’s the game that should be exciting, not the banter between ump and player.

GT was right about that one thing, the umps are not the stars of the show.
Agree on the coaching/unnecessary interactions wholeheartedly. Razor is a blight on the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you some stories about Ray Chaberlain during his time as a PE teacher at Mordi High during the 90’s…
Absolute gutter of a human.
Haha he was my PE teach at Mordi aswell. Said some appalling thing hahaha. Would slide today

No we don't want good and bad umpires , we want them all to be vanilla.
Its not their game.

But i don't mind your idea of the umps reading out the votes and presenting their human side during the Brownlows.

No they should not attend as guests, nor should their partners be forced to compete with WAGs.

No theme song.

How much do you think they should be paid? I just looked and EPL refs get equivalent of $200 000 - $350 000 per year.
Should our Umps get that much?
To be honest, I was taking the P155 with a bit of it.....

Wood is a stand out as a Athlete , if he can stay on the park and get consistency he will be a very good player but he has never been able too.
Having Wood , Battle , Gresham and Paton in round one will shake up the 22 we had last season.

Where does Wood play in the forward line and will that force Sharman out.
A lot to shake out - Hannerbery might surprise us and play in round one and if he does who is he replacing.

If we have all our players available who is going to miss out.

Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Hill
Billings - Steele - Hannerbery
Higgins - Marshall - Butler
Gresham - King - Membery

Ryder / Crouch / Jones

McKenzie - Paton - Wood - Ross - Clark - Sharman - Byrne - Highmore - Bytel

New R1 team without all injured - Coff, Jones, Clark, Hanners, (calling it); Ryder, Billings, Geary

Seriously, more injured then the masters league that my old man use to play in.

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Hill
NWM - Steele - Byrnes
Sharman - King - Membery

Hayes / Crouch / Gresham

Bch: McKenzie, Ross, Bytel, Wood
Emer: Webster, Windhager, Campbell, Kent

Special thanks Premium for letting me use your lineup as a base.

New R1 team without all injured - Coff, Jones, Clark, Hanners, (calling it); Ryder, Billings, Geary

Seriously, more injured then the masters league that my old man use to play in.

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Sinclair - Battle - Hill
NWM - Steele - Byrnes
Sharman - King - Membery

Hayes / Crouch / Gresham

Bch: McKenzie, Ross, Bytel, Wood
Emer: Webster, Windhager, Campbell, Kent

Special thanks Premium for letting me use your lineup as a base.

Not a snowball’s chance that Webster is not in the first 22 picked.

Umpires don't have to earn respect they should expect it as soon as they put on the uniform, just like the police or a teacher for that matter the respect should be automatic to the role. If you want to play the game, live in a society or get an education you accept limits on your freedom to do what ever you feel like doing for the good of the game the society or the class. This is not a normal social relationship of equals if they do a poor job they will be in the VFL the next week if they abuse their authority there are consequences. The crowd can complain all they want but the players need to tow the line play to the whistle and get on with it. Everything that the players do on the field is copied the next day by the U12's who watched the game.
I agree up to a point but there are plenty of cops and teachers who abuse their unquestioned authoritative positions, with no repercussions for their actions by the very institutions designed to monitor their behaviour and step in if needs be. Without the right to directly appeal or question...authority becomes very quickly corrupted. The AFL is bad enough as it is without its game day officials running rampant with a head full of bias and steam.

How about they go back to 1 umpire.
There'd be less stoppages, less frustrated players and only the top 3rd of the current mob would get a gig thus improving the quality of outcome. In other sports you tend not to notice the referees but we are as over officiated as f*** and it's ruining everything else.
💯% THIS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back