VFL Practice Match #4 - Collingwood v North Ballarat. Pies win 132-38. See #243 p10 for post game

Remove this Banner Ad

He is out there. He has had a bit of the ball and has generally used it well.

I think he took a very nice one handed mark inside 50 and missed the set shot but it was a bit far away from me to be sure it was him.
It was him.
I was standing next to his Dad when he did it and I said gee that looked familiar.

Will be delisted at years end. What a waste of 3 years for us and a waste of a promising career for him.
Its not over yet but that's how it's looking.

Who will he replace in the seniors, assuming he manages to recapture some semblance of his pre-ban form that saw him make his way to the illustrious heights of fringe player?
I know Greenwood played well against Sydney but he goes back to his averegeness there is a chance Thomas could overtake him.

I left at 3QT, but here's a few thoughts on some of the boys today:

(nb. The opposition were poor)

• Elliott: Was great. A certainty to come back next week. Movement looked good, especially through traffic. Chased hard, marked strongly and finished well. Straight swap with Mayne.
  • Blair: Solid, typical, Blairy performance. Nothing to write home about. Probably shouldn't be picked for the AFL off the back of it.
  • Shaz: BOG in my opinion up to half time. Sandringham-esque performance. Read the play exceptionally and used it smartly. Not sure what happened after half time but he didn't appear. Didn't see anything happen except for a late knock but he appeared to recover ok. Precautionary I'd imagine. Thought I saw him up in the box? He's close.
  • Aish: Impact unfortunately wasn't there. Ran exceptionally well for someone who made the trip up to Sydney(?) Could do with a couple of weeks playing VFL to solidify some form.
  • Dunn: Solid at the back and for the most part used it well. Extremely vocal - could hear him from a mile away! A real leader down back. Wouldn't be opposed to him playing vs. the Saints.
  • Brown: Appeared to be in everything - definitely doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Kicked a clever snap. I'm sure we'll be seeing him sooner rather than later in the AFL.
  • Keeffe: Wasn't really involved. Isn't a forward, and it shows even at VFL level. A long way off the 1s at the moment.
  • Thomas: Was ok, another who was solid without starring. Also a long way off.
  • Diacos: Ran hard and used it well. Always so clever both with and without the ball. The kid can play, I daresay he isn’t far off a senior debut as well.
  • Kirby: Impacted with out really impacting - I guess that's the sort of player he is. He has natural crumbing instincts which we severely lack in the first team. Has true talent, looking forward to seeing how he develops.
  • Wills: Looks even bigger than he did last year. Tackled hard as always, but didn’t get as much of the ball. First real run of the season for him so will probably take a game to get his touch back. I think he played restricted minutes.
  • McCarthy: Extremely athletic and smooth moving. Loved his ruck work. Roves the ball like someone a foot shorter than him. A lot to work with.
  • McLarty: Might be premature but I’m sold. Backs himself in the air and on the ground. Took a couple of great grabs and used it well. Has a lot to improve on but all the signs are there. Moves well in my opinion.
  • Crocker: He looked good today. Could also be a candidate for selection in the AFL. Kicked a great goal from the boundary. Hands and pressure acts solid also.
  • Oxley: Did some nice things to be fair, it was his sort of game. Shouldn’t get him called up to the AFL but you know what he brings week in week out. Not bad depth.
  • Mackie: Had one memorable moment where he beat his man, and ran 40m for a shot at goal from 60 that fell wide. Has a beautiful right boot on him, but just didn’t get enough of it. Very interested to see how he goes.
  • Lynch: Centre bounce work was good. He’s raw, but he looks like he’s worth persisting with. Took a nice one handed grab running with the flight and slotted the goal. Moves well.
  • Cox: Centre bounce work looked strong as well, however he is good here at AFL so it’s to be expected. Took a couple of nice marks when he was resting forward. Not sure I see a spot for him at the moment but he is good depth.

I left at 3QT, but here's a few thoughts on some of the boys today:

(nb. The opposition were poor)

• Elliott: Was great. A certainty to come back next week. Movement looked good, especially through traffic. Chased hard, marked strongly and finished well. Straight swap with Mayne.
  • Blair: Solid, typical, Blairy performance. Nothing to write home about. Probably shouldn't be picked for the AFL off the back of it.
  • Shaz: BOG in my opinion up to half time. Sandringham-esque performance. Read the play exceptionally and used it smartly. Not sure what happened after half time but he didn't appear. Didn't see anything happen except for a late knock but he appeared to recover ok. Precautionary I'd imagine. Thought I saw him up in the box? He's close.
  • Aish: Impact unfortunately wasn't there. Ran exceptionally well for someone who made the trip up to Sydney(?) Could do with a couple of weeks playing VFL to solidify some form.
  • Dunn: Solid at the back and for the most part used it well. Extremely vocal - could hear him from a mile away! A real leader down back. Wouldn't be opposed to him playing vs. the Saints.
  • Brown: Appeared to be in everything - definitely doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Kicked a clever snap. I'm sure we'll be seeing him sooner rather than later in the AFL.
  • Keeffe: Wasn't really involved. Isn't a forward, and it shows even at VFL level. A long way off the 1s at the moment.
  • Thomas: Was ok, another who was solid without starring. Also a long way off.
  • Diacos: Ran hard and used it well. Always so clever both with and without the ball. The kid can play, I daresay he isn’t far off a senior debut as well.
  • Kirby: Impacted with out really impacting - I guess that's the sort of player he is. He has natural crumbing instincts which we severely lack in the first team. Has true talent, looking forward to seeing how he develops.
  • Wills: Looks even bigger than he did last year. Tackled hard as always, but didn’t get as much of the ball. First real run of the season for him so will probably take a game to get his touch back. I think he played restricted minutes.
  • McCarthy: Extremely athletic and smooth moving. Loved his ruck work. Roves the ball like someone a foot shorter than him. A lot to work with.
  • McLarty: Might be premature but I’m sold. Backs himself in the air and on the ground. Took a couple of great grabs and used it well. Has a lot to improve on but all the signs are there. Moves well in my opinion.
  • Crocker: He looked good today. Could also be a candidate for selection in the AFL. Kicked a great goal from the boundary. Hands and pressure acts solid also.
  • Oxley: Did some nice things to be fair, it was his sort of game. Shouldn’t get him called up to the AFL but you know what he brings week in week out. Not bad depth.
  • Mackie: Had one memorable moment where he beat his man, and ran 40m for a shot at goal from 60 that fell wide. Has a beautiful right boot on him, but just didn’t get enough of it. Very interested to see how he goes.
  • Lynch: Centre bounce work was good. He’s raw, but he looks like he’s worth persisting with. Took a nice one handed grab running with the flight and slotted the goal. Moves well.
  • Cox: Centre bounce work looked strong as well, however he is good here at AFL so it’s to be expected. Took a couple of nice marks when he was resting forward. Not sure I see a spot for him at the moment but he is good depth.
Cheers, mate.
Much appreciated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elliott comes in for Mayne. It's a certainty. Elliott was simply terrific today. Every time he got the ball he looked a cut above.
Sharenberg's first quarter was a delight to see. Judgement, poise and footy smarts. Handballed, marked and looked on course for a quick senior berth. Then he got crunched and went off not to be seen until during the last quarter when he appeared briefly on the boundary, speaking to the support staff. He looked perfectly fine, so suspect a mild concussion only. Wouldn't think he would be recalled just yet, but is tracking nicely.
Wills didn't appear until the second quarter, but it was fantastic to see him impact immediately. At one stage in the last he barged through the centre, collected the ball, dished it off and then crunched a NB player who took minutes to get up. Shame he's not a few inches taller - he'd slot in perfectly up forward.
Dunn is the kind of player who makes the others walk a bit taller. A real general down back. Players are so confident in his kicking ability, that they point to where they want it and he duly delivers. He's an elite user of the ball.
Kirby is better than I thought. He has definitely lost weight since I last saw him, and is a raging bull with the ball. He had a run in the middle in the second half and didn't look out of place. Needs to develop a tank, but he has the X factor.
Keeffe was OK; got plenty of possessions, but looks a long way off in my opinion, as does Thomas.
Mitch McCarthey is a bit light-on, but is a good size who has a fantastic leap. Looked good when playing in the middle. Is this boy our only future forward tall?

Apart from Elliott picking himself for next week, I can't see any other changes, unless Dunn gets a gig. We'll need to find another tall back vs. the Saints.

I missed most of the first half

Elliott - one of our best, moved well, leap well and too classy for North Ballarat

Crocker - Dropped a few marks, but has really sticky hands when he gets his hands around the footy, played more up around the 50 instead of the goal square, which I liked with a view to the seniors. Struggled kicking at goal a bit with the wind and hit up a few better options inside the 50 on other occasions otherwise he could have had a bag.

Keeffe - got more involved as a forward today, but he looks a duck out of water without natural forward ability. A few occasions when we had nothing on Keeffe hesitated in his decision, which meant he had to chip it short to a contest instead of kicking to long to the square

Blair - the last time he got dropped he dominated as an inside mid at VFL level, today however he seemed to play more forward bringing his AFL game style with him. I would have liked to see him up around the ball more in an attempt to help him find some form

Kirby - looks a natural footballer, strength and good pace allowed him to get through traffic including one nice run out of the centre.

McLarty - really attacks the contest hard, made a few nice spoils and took a couple of strong marks

Wills - looks to have slimmed down over the preseason, but he's maintained his strength as one North Ballarat player found out after being on the receiving end of good bump. Although I didn't I see it today, I hope a slimmer figure will see him add half a yard of pace, which would help his AFL chances. Needs at least another couple of games though before discussing an AFL gig

Oxley - best game I've seen him play this season, with some nice run and ball use

Aish - found a bit of the footy, but I don't think he done enough to earn a recall

Brown - got more of the footy today and also got himself into good spots, I thought he played a pretty decent match and probably had a bigger output than Blair today

McCarthy - he looks to play smaller than his size with great agility, however at the same time he's got a great leap. Something to work with and there's potentially scope he'll play a similar role to White going forward

Cox - didn't dominate the game, but he's got some smarts about him. Perhaps it comes from his basketball background, but he made some clever knock ons today in general play

Mackie - like Oxley a better game from him today, with others saying similar about Scharenberg it seems to was the day for half back flankers. Mackie played more in straight lines today, both in his kicking and run and carry, which certainly benefited his game

Thomas - started to work into the game late, which has me wanting to give him 4-6 weeks to find more touch before judging his long term prospects

On the VFL players Woodward will be a very handy addition to our midfield and I thought he played a great game today. Borthwick looks like he'll step up his game this year and become more consistent with his ability to find the footy, he's also starting to shape as a leader on the field.

I missed most of the first half

Elliott - one of our best, moved well, leap well and too classy for North Ballarat

Crocker - Dropped a few marks, but has really sticky hands when he gets his hands around the footy, played more up around the 50 instead of the goal square, which I liked with a view to the seniors. Struggled kicking at goal a bit with the wind and hit up a few better options inside the 50 on other occasions otherwise he could have had a bag.

Keeffe - got more involved as a forward today, but he looks a duck out of water without natural forward ability. A few occasions when we had nothing on Keeffe hesitated in his decision, which meant he had to chip it short to a contest instead of kicking to long to the square

Blair - the last time he got dropped he dominated as an inside mid at VFL level, today however he seemed to play more forward bringing his AFL game style with him. I would have liked to see him up around the ball more in an attempt to help him find some form

Kirby - looks a natural footballer, strength and good pace allowed him to get through traffic including one nice run out of the centre.

McLarty - really attacks the contest hard, made a few nice spoils and took a couple of strong marks

Wills - looks to have slimmed down over the preseason, but he's maintained his strength as one North Ballarat player found out after being on the receiving end of good bump. Although I didn't I see it today, I hope a slimmer figure will see him add half a yard of pace, which would help his AFL chances. Needs at least another couple of games though before discussing an AFL gig

Oxley - best game I've seen him play this season, with some nice run and ball use

Aish - found a bit of the footy, but I don't think he done enough to earn a recall

Brown - got more of the footy today and also got himself into good spots, I thought he played a pretty decent match and probably had a bigger output than Blair today

McCarthy - he looks to play smaller than his size with great agility, however at the same time he's got a great leap. Something to work with and there's potentially scope he'll play a similar role to White going forward

Cox - didn't dominate the game, but he's got some smarts about him. Perhaps it comes from his basketball background, but he made some clever knock ons today in general play

Mackie - like Oxley a better game from him today, with others saying similar about Scharenberg it seems to was the day for half back flankers. Mackie played more in straight lines today, both in his kicking and run and carry, which certainly benefited his game

Thomas - started to work into the game late, which has me wanting to give him 4-6 weeks to find more touch before judging his long term prospects

On the VFL players Woodward will be a very handy addition to our midfield and I thought he played a great game today. Borthwick looks like he'll step up his game this year and become more consistent with his ability to find the footy, he's also starting to shape as a leader on the field.
Did Tardrew play ?

The question for me is whether his good will still outweigh the bad in 8 weeks time when Langdon has returned and Sharenberg is really rolling. I agree that he does provide that point of difference down back, but between the fumbles and the WTF kicking (I could have killed him after that kick in I mean even if it worked it was still a deadshit kick) I think he's more a go between until others are ready. A watch and see type scenario.

The big bonus for me is that there doesn't seem to have been an injury come out of this weekend that will see anyone miss next week. That result is we can limit change at senior level and effectively go with a core of 18 through the first month of the season which is a huge plus for me so long as we don't revert to selection roulette.

I am not quite sure how to measure Goldy against Shaz and Langdon. His poor hands is his major weakness. If he had better hands he would clearly be best 22, same as White and probably Dawes before them.

But I do think he has two things on Shaz and Langdon. One is speed and the other is ability to play or at least complete taller than he actually is. And because of this he may get games because they are important to matchups with opposition teams.

It will not be a selection based on best player, but best matchup. Will be interesting to see how our team evolves if we start getting a full list match fit.

Did Tardrew play ?
I didn't notice him, but that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't play. I'm still trying to get used to the numbers of our new players and changes for several others, so it's easy for me to miss blokes at the moment. MagpieBat is probably the best one to ask.

Mitch McCarthey is a bit light-on, but is a good size who has a fantastic leap. Looked good when playing in the middle. Is this boy our only future forward tall?.

He, and potentially McLarty as potential KPFs, assuming Keeffe doesn't adapt to the role. McLarty being used predominantly in defense at the moment but played a bit of TAC as a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back