Game Day Practice Match; Adelaide V Brisbane @ Metricon, 10:30am (only on Kayo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones, McHenry and McAsey picks have hurt. 3 top draft picks and as much as we want then to make it none of them will become elite players of the competition.

Jones we recruit as mid we have to turn into a defender and if today was anything to by, crikey.

McHenry has his supporters because of his feisty hard working attitude. But he’s not overly quick, he’s short, his disposal is ok but he does some dumb stuff. Again he’s playing a forward role when we need him to be a mid, but will he? I doubt it.

McAsey, he’s slow and has shown nothing to warrant pick 6. We prefer Frampton over him as a defender FFS.

Now this will attract plenty of thumbs downs and replies that I’m writing them off too early. But if you take your Crows wishful thinking hat off most deep down would know it. And don’t get me wrong, I’m hope I’m very wrong but I don’t believe I am and that sucks.
I share your concerns. Add Fog as pick 12 and our drafting is beyond poor.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yup. Was really hoping he would come out firing this year.

On paper he is perfect. 191cm, 91kg. Top 15 draft pick.

We have him for contracted for another 2 years - so hopefully we can give him a run of 10-15 games and see what we have.
I really wanted him in that draft. Having bseen him play junior and senior footy at Centrals.

Predraft a genuine midfield talent. Has the physical talent, another example of the difference in the mental game between AFL and lower levels. Especially in the busier AFL midfield.

Oh and the Modra curse. No number 6 has done well (for us) since Blight got rid of Modra. Jon Griffen, Lever, Gibbs, etc.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I share your concerns. Add Fog as pick 12 and our drafting is beyond poor.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think picking Fog was a poor choice because he was plenty hyped, people saying he was the best talent in the draft and we were lucky he slipped so far. His lack of development since he was drafted is an issue, not the actual pick itself.

Someone like Gallucci on the other hand you can make a case for given we supposedly ignored our own talent list to take him.

Watched the replay last night

The umpiring was comical, even Merret was beginning to laugh at some of the decisions.

We had a midget midfield rotation which hurt but also a lot of young bodies who couldn't stand up to the strength of Brisbane. Also hard to judge when the team is mostly young kids leading to structures breaking down in wet conditions.

Easy to slam the youngsters but they all had good moments and would all look better in a mature side.

The only take away being we need Dawson and Smith in some of the centre rotations as Berry, Pedlar, Laird, Schoenberg, Keays and Crouch all similar height. Still can't work out Hately
Would we have preferred a closer result by giving all the midfield minutes to our most experienced players... or used it as a practice match to give plenty of minutes to Barry, Pedlar & Hately... Of course Neale was going to have a field day against our younger players, but they will be better for the experience, rather than being stuck in the forward line or bench.

Also, we had our best 4 outside players missing - Smith, Dawson, Seedsman & Milera. Our ball movement & structures will look much better when they return.

Yup. Was really hoping he would come out firing this year.

On paper he is perfect. 191cm, 91kg. Top 15 draft pick.

We have him for contracted for another 2 years - so hopefully we can give him a run of 10-15 games and see what we have.
The signs are not looking great for Hately & he appears to be going further back in the queue.

Hately showed a bit at GWS but zilch with us so far. Some of that is due to playing in a bad team as well as some injuries but he would want to start pressing for a spot this year or else he is on the scrap pile.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we can blame "playing in a bad team" for Hately's issues, considering he has barely even been able to make the team.

If it was just the team that was the problem, he should at least be carving up the SANFL.

That umpiring was beyond horrific yesterday. I think it's got to be right up there in the worst 3 I'd ever seen against us, if it was for premiership points I'd have burst every vessel in my body. Almost hard to be negative against our blokes it was that shizen.

Rachele amazing as expected, class, poise, skill and proper damage forward of centre.

Hinge really showed some run and hardness, more please

Pedlar has it, just needs that fitness and tank, he cracks into the contest beautifully

Rowe very smart player, he's a thinker just a little off it defensively. Ripping goal

Rucks very ordinary

Hately good strength at the man defensively as he usually does but dreadful offensively skill wise

Schoenberg nippy and ran well through the middle, skills a bit off

Fog invisible though hard to be a key forward with the rubbish skills coming in

All our linebreakers in Smith, Milera, Dawson, Seedsman missing. So despite all the above, not a true reflection of our side...Brisbane are quality.

Chayce started the game well and had a few nice run and carries from defense that setup attacking plays e.g. RT's first goal. He definitely dropped out of the game, but it will help having the senior outside players back (Dawson, Seed, Smith, Milera) to take a bit off the pressure off. Promising signs that he will continue his improvement from the back half of 2021.

I like Pedlar and appreciate his bash & crash, I’m worried about a lack of class with his foot skills though. Hopefully they’re there.

Jones, McHenry and McAsey picks have hurt. 3 top draft picks and as much as we want then to make it none of them will become elite players of the competition.

Jones we recruit as mid we have to turn into a defender and if today was anything to by, crikey.

McHenry has his supporters because of his feisty hard working attitude. But he’s not overly quick, he’s short, his disposal is ok but he does some dumb stuff. Again he’s playing a forward role when we need him to be a mid, but will he? I doubt it.

McAsey, he’s slow and has shown nothing to warrant pick 6. We prefer Frampton over him as a defender FFS.

Now this will attract plenty of thumbs downs and replies that I’m writing them off too early. But if you take your Crows wishful thinking hat off most deep down would know it. And don’t get me wrong, I’m hope I’m very wrong but I don’t believe I am and that sucks.
So I've taken a while to respond because I wanted to find the right words.

Start with Jones and Ned. Halfway through last season I was starting to get concerned however in the back half of last year both showed they're comfortable at the level. Neds midfield minutes are only a concern if you want him to be a full time mid, and we didn't draft him as one. He did cut a lot of the dumb stuff out late last year.

Jones playing at half back might not be a "win" for some but I'd take a high quality half back at 9 any day. Is very capable and his game yesterday wasn't as bad as you suggest, though I'll admit he had his poor moments. Worth noting with these 2 that they're performing to the same level as those taken around them bar Butters, and better even than some.

McAsey is the tough one. He's got talent, but has now had 2 interrupted pre seasons and that hasn't helped his development. We are crying out for a 2nd KPD to go with Jordy, I still think Fish is the one.... You don't have to be quick to be a KPD.

So whilst I disagree, I do see where you're coming from. I'm not worried about any of them yet.....

LOL

It was a scratch match with one side fielding a severely depleted squad, the other side fielding an almost full strength squad on a greasy surface. Talk about Henny Penny reactions from some of you jokers.
Triggy Screwed Us is a Port supporter. Ignore him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only player taken near Jones that I'd prefer having is Butters. Even Caldwell has shown very little.

Surprisingly good point.
Big H would never have picked Butters anyhow given his family situation, he isn't a crows type of person and yeah Caldwell hasn't come on either.

The biggest criticism of the club from people was that we didn't sell the farm for a pick inside 7 in that draft.

Surprisingly good point.
Big H would never have picked Butters anyhow given his family situation, he isn't a crows type of person and yeah Caldwell hasn't come on either.

The biggest criticism of the club from people was that we didn't sell the farm for a pick inside 7 in that draft.
He liked Duursma, and if you don't like what Ned is like off field you wouldn't like Bow and Arrow Boy

I wanted Caldwell at the time of the draft, but he's looked just as awful as Hately has at times. They're talking him up again at the Bombers after his half in their trial game though.
Caldwel was always infinitely more talented than Hately in almost every aspect of the game, the problem was always whether his soft tissue issues would ever be able to stand up to the rigours of AFL football. If they are now behind him as claimed, look out he's a serious talent.

He liked Duursma, and if you don't like what Ned is like off field you wouldn't like Bow and Arrow Boy
A Pick inside the top 7....
We were never going to get Sam Walsh, only way Carlton don't take him was perhaps if Max King didn't do his ACL.

So let's look at the first 7 picks.

1. Sam Walsh - A grader already.

2. Jack Lukosius - Underwhelming to this point considering draft position

3. Izak Rankine - Very underwhelming to this point considering draft position

4. Max King - Looks the goods after recovering from an ACL

5. Connor Rozee - Started like a house on fire but not looking to be the star he promised to be at this point

6. Ben King - Looks the goods, certainly better than some thought

7. Bailey Smith - A grader but we were never picking him

Let's not kid ourselves if we had sold the farm to get higher we were only ever taking one of Lukosius, Rankine or Rozee almost certainly in that order.

At this point none are looking like "sell the farm" type AFL footballers IMO.

I think Taryn Thomas is the one, whom we bid on anyway. I like what Jones is doing in the back line. Think is developing nicely. Needs to play with confidence and not go into his shell and take them inside kicks that really open the game up through the middle of the ground which we all know he is capable of doing as he is a very skilled player.

What's duursma got to do with my post?

A Pick inside the top 7....
We were never going to get Sam Walsh, only way Carlton don't take him was perhaps if Max King didn't do his ACL.

So let's look at the first 7 picks.

1. Sam Walsh - A grader already.

2. Jack Lukosius - Underwhelming to this point considering draft position

3. Izak Rankine - Very underwhelming to this point considering draft position

4. Max King - Looks the goods after recovering from an ACL

5. Connor Rozee - Started like a house on fire but not looking to be the star he promised to be at this point

6. Ben King - Looks the goods, certainly better than some thought

7. Bailey Smith - A grader but we were never picking him

Let's not kid ourselves if we had sold the farm to get higher we were only ever taking one of Lukosius, Rankine or Rozee almost certainly in that order.

At this point none are looking like "sell the farm" type AFL footballers IMO.
Imagine getting Ben king, then wouldn't have to waste pick 2 the following year on Tilly 😉

After watching the game today, it was truly men against boys. Not going to be our round 1 team, so I’m not worried at all. They are a very good team and will be again. Really poor umpiring did destroy the game and only really got upset when that idiot umpire 14 had a smile on his face after he game them a free, really poor look. Hope they get rid of this poor umpiring before the first round .

Have to question Nicks though with his selection for the game, I know it’s a trial game but with a very inexperienced team how do the defenders and forwards get a chance at all. Really didn’t try to experiment at all either, so I wonder what he actually got out of the game. Just feel it was a wasted opportunity to play against another team

Rachele was the only highlight really and not much else.

Easy to slam the youngsters but they all had good moments and would all look better in a mature side.

The only take away being we need Dawson and Smith in some of the centre rotations as Berry, Pedlar, Laird, Schoenberg, Keays and Crouch all similar height. Still can't work out Hately
I posted the other day, if we had injuries to senior players, we'd struggle ......we've jettisoned a number of senior players, which has left us exposed

However, injury free .....this list is capable of knocking on the door of the 8

Missing yesterday;
Doedee
Dawson
Milera
Walker
Sloane
Seedsman
Smith
ROB

You add those 8 players and the whole side is stiffened with some very good mature players .....and no, I didn't make an error with ROB

BRIS put out their best side ....in their home state, and in conditions BRIS were more used too .....so I enjoyed the hitout "practice match"

Rachele was the only highlight really and not much else.
Oh, don't forget Thilthorpe .....significant improvement in strength, and he's started using it

I thought Hinge showed there's something there .....and Davis also stood up .....but most impressed with Schoenberg and McPherson

Oh, don't forget Thilthorpe .....significant improvement in strength, and he's started using it

I thought Hinge showed there's something there .....and Davis also stood up .....but most impressed with Schoenberg and McPherson
That Rachele lad goes alright hey....:fire:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back