Game Day Practice Match; Adelaide V Brisbane @ Metricon, 10:30am (only on Kayo)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but isn't that an issue the fact that he is best 22 - hopefully he comes on leaps and bounds but I don't see much to his game atm other than he has a red hot crack. Yes we are in a rebuild but if he is an automatic selection our other options must be poor. I hope he proves me wrong but I think we all get seduced by our players and are happy with a large number of C graders {See ROB as another example fantastic effort but is he A,B or C}

Not particularly, being in a sport that requires at least 22 players and having a salary cap means that eventually every team is forced into the cheaper but flawed options at some point if you want to push into the upper echelons of the ladder (and eventually winning a premiership) as teams need to juggle having a core of elite players, solid squad players who make it tick and some genuine depth. Our first goal is to find players we want to build around, our second is to find players to try to make them tick even if they're not exactly great players in their own right.

When it comes to someone like McHenry, the question is really boiled down to can he carve out a niche as a more defensively oriented small, and he's has a three factors in his favour for a long career: 1) Half forward flank is probably the hardest position to have a reliable impact, especially if your right at the bottom of the food chain (an example would be how the position really became one where kids went to watch their career die with us in the latter parts of the 2010s), 2) he does provide a pretty high level defensive game at this point, in a sport where it's been historically easier to "cheese" a premiership with defense (for a quick breakdown: AFL | Stats That Matter - Defence Wins Premierships) and 3) We have what we hope to be our centre piece for the next decade in the forward line in Thilthorpe so we have likely have some idea of what our forward line will look like for the next decade.

What does he need to do to carve it out proper? Going by his 2021 season (and completely removing the 1st showdown as Ned was concussed early) following the axiom of you are your stat line he's (colors rep. where they'd fit in with afl stat pro benchmarks, so blue - elite, green - above average, orange - average, red - poor):

12.85 disposals/4 ground ball gets/76% DE/64% KE/0.65 clearances/2.7 marks/1.35 I50s/3.3 tackles/19.45 pressure acts/0.55 goals(@45.8%)/0.3 behinds/4.5 score involvements/1.1 FF/1.9 FA

So key points: disposals just sneaks into above average for a small forward at this point in time and he's boasting a solid contested game which is going to serve him well moving forward. Looking towards ball usage 76% DE is only a fraction off being elite for the position (76.8% DE was the needed mark). Of course it's worth noting that players who tend to handball more than kick are going to do better with this stat which McHenry does at this point. The results he's achieving with his kick is still above average, but more towards the bottom end of above average (elite benchmark: ~69%). Tackles/PA are both on the upper end of above average at this point. Score involvements are on the upper end of average.

There are a couple of standout stats though, I50s and marks. Whilst you can survive for a while off defensive play, eventually to lock down that spot Ned is either going to have to become more involved with our ball transition, or become a goal kicker. In this case, the more likely path to success is to be more involved with our transitional play (which will have a flow on effect of more score involvements). It's probably the thing I'll be watching with the most interest with Ned this year on top of building a strong rapport with Thilthorpe (which will also go a long way towards having a 10+ year career). That said, this is the step a lot of small forwards stumble at though who aren't blessed with goal kicking talent. Fingers crossed he can find a way through seeing he could be a valuable asset for a premiership tilt, both on and off the field.

ROB is also a strange target on this board at the moment (in part because the board lacks a genuine whipping boy, seeing everyone who could be is young), seeing he's a solid B-A ruck. Not in the top 3-4 in the league but really, he's not a player we need to rush with upgrading, though we should be looking at drafting a raw ruck this year, and probably next in the latter parts of the draft just to make sure we're not scrambling in 4 years.

I don't think picking Fog was a poor choice because he was plenty hyped, people saying he was the best talent in the draft and we were lucky he slipped so far. His lack of development since he was drafted is an issue, not the actual pick itself.

Someone like Gallucci on the other hand you can make a case for given we supposedly ignored our own talent list to take him.

I mean, right now, it's a poor choice as he just looks like what we drafted, in that he's a player with no clear best position. A forward game that'd hold up if he's primarily a midfielder (as he lacks genuine forward craft) and a midfield game that'd hold up if he was primarily a forward.

Unfortunately for us, he also looks like a player who has hit his ceiling and not someone who is going to become a long term option.

After watching the game today, it was truly men against boys. Not going to be our round 1 team, so I’m not worried at all. They are a very good team and will be again. Really poor umpiring did destroy the game and only really got upset when that idiot umpire 14 had a smile on his face after he game them a free, really poor look. Hope they get rid of this poor umpiring before the first round .

Have to question Nicks though with his selection for the game, I know it’s a trial game but with a very inexperienced team how do the defenders and forwards get a chance at all. Really didn’t try to experiment at all either, so I wonder what he actually got out of the game. Just feel it was a wasted opportunity to play against another team

Rachele was the only highlight really and not much else.

Wasn't covid a big factor with our selections? seeing we've had it rip through the club in the last 2-3 weeks.

I don't understand why we didn't use a later pick on the young lad from Glenelg who was destined to be top 5 before two knee injuries. Instead we draft another batch of mosquitos. Had a promising game for Essendon

Last edited:

I don't understand why we didn't use a laye pick on the young lad from Glenelg who was destined to be top 5 before two knee injuries. Instead we draft another batch of mosquitos

Kind of self explanatory.

A Pick inside the top 7....
We were never going to get Sam Walsh, only way Carlton don't take him was perhaps if Max King didn't do his ACL.

So let's look at the first 7 picks.

1. Sam Walsh - A grader already.

2. Jack Lukosius - Underwhelming to this point considering draft position

3. Izak Rankine - Very underwhelming to this point considering draft position

4. Max King - Looks the goods after recovering from an ACL

5. Connor Rozee - Started like a house on fire but not looking to be the star he promised to be at this point

6. Ben King - Looks the goods, certainly better than some thought

7. Bailey Smith - A grader but we were never picking him

Let's not kid ourselves if we had sold the farm to get higher we were only ever taking one of Lukosius, Rankine or Rozee almost certainly in that order.

At this point none are looking like "sell the farm" type AFL footballers IMO.
I have been critical of Chayce Jones, although think he has found his spot and could by very important there. But when you look at what we could have got by "selling the farm", we did pretty good.

Walsh and Ben King the only two who look worthy of such a move. And we were never getting either.

Right now you wouldn't give up more than a second rounder for Luko or Rankine.

Rozee seems injury prone.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's duursma got to do with my post?

Imagine getting Ben king, then wouldn't have to waste pick 2 the following year on Tilly 😉
Well for starters you said we'd have never picked Butters because of he and his families character, but we liked Duursma, and hes a monster douche. And then you insist on the RT bashing by calling him a wasted pick.....

God you're a nuff.

All of Schoenberg, Pedlar, Rachele and Taylor have very goodt acceleration from the contest.

Rachele and Taylor have extremely good footskills, Schoenberg not too shabby either and I wouldn't be judging Pedlar too harshly in that regard until he gets fully fit.
Yup. Was really hoping he would come out firing this year.

On paper he is perfect. 191cm, 91kg. Top 15 draft pick.

We have him for contracted for another 2 years - so hopefully we can give him a run of 10-15 games and see what we have.
Hately disposal by hand and foot is very poor , despite his height he doesn’t play tall and he actually doesn’t even stand out on the field , very narrow shoulders and thin in hip region . I can’t see him getting another contract end of this year

Last edited:
Compare it to who port picked up and yeah it is disappointing.
Maybe we should've given Big H time off during that period to grieve his loss, because clearly he wasn't thinking clearly unfortunately 😔
How many more times are you going to mention Haimish's personal loss? We get it, you think it influenced his recruiting. Right or wrong, you've made your point, move on.

And pay your bets.

Hately disposal by hand and foot is very poor , despite his height he doesn’t play tall and he actually doesn’t even stand out on the field , very narrow shoulders and thin in hip region . I can’t see him getting another contract end of this year
I was on his train as a junior, but I have to say, he plays timid. Doesn't really like contact. For a player of his size and (lack of) pace, that's probably terminal for his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look its not a bad thing. He looked comfortable at the level and hopefully it gives him confidence to do it on the big stage.

I just think its a little early to be annointing him the next superstar or silly comparions to JHF.
‘It’s not a bad thing ‘ haha ok

Never mentioned JHF

JHF and Callaghan ( and Sinn) also look very good , especially impressive from vic boys given they’ve barely played for 2 years

I have been critical of Chayce Jones, although think he has found his spot and could by very important there. But when you look at what we could have got by "selling the farm", we did pretty good.

Walsh and Ben King the only two who look worthy of such a move. And we were never getting either.

Right now you wouldn't give up more than a second rounder for Luko or Rankine.

Rozee seems injury prone.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bailey Smith is an absolute gun but given his issues we were never going to take that risk and obviously had we moved up it would have been for the local lad.

There was a national agreement on the definition of a close contact. Why should a decision made by one state's CHO impact an entire national competition? That would be insanity.
That's not the definition of a national agreement!

The AFL could have delayed the game until this afternoon, that would be fair.

Players could have flown up this morning.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's not the definition of a national agreement!

The AFL could have delayed the game until this afternoon, that would be fair.

Players could have flown up this morning.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Separate issue. And it was a national agreement, our crew adopted it too but then added something extra. As Spurrier says, she's not at national cabinet, so whilst those that are there agreed, her influence on the state controller overrules anything decided by politicians.

Well for starters you said we'd have never picked Butters because of he and his families character, but we liked Duursma, and hes a monster douche. And then you insist on the RT bashing by calling him a wasted pick.....

God you're a nuff.
No need for name calling, but I never mentioned duursma and don't know if he is a douche.
And I'm pretty sure Caldwell wouldve been picked ahead of him anyhow.

Also never called Tilly a wasted pick, but if we managed to score Ben king and the following draft scored Logan Mac, surely even you with your limited footy knowledge, could see that's a much better outcome for us?

He is contracted until end of 2023

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many more times are you going to mention Haimish's personal loss? We get it, you think it influenced his recruiting. Right or wrong, you've made your point, move on.

And pay your bets.
I mean I it's a footy forum so I guess it's ok to talk about tilly as much as one wants to?

And youre one to talk, have it on good authority brodie Grundy wants to come home yeah?
Next week signs on at Collingwood for 7 years 😉

No need for name calling, but I never mentioned duursma and don't know if he is a douche.
And I'm pretty sure Caldwell wouldve been picked ahead of him anyhow.

Also never called Tilly a wasted pick, but if we managed to score Ben king and the following draft scored Logan Mac, surely even you with your limited footy knowledge, could see that's a much better outcome for us?
Limited footy knowledge ?? Lol that's a bit ironic coming from you.

Caldwell has been a bigger flop than any of our guys.

Let's say we sold the farm for Ben King, which we were never going to do.... Why would we have picked McDonald the next year, who is virtually the same player ?? He's not Nat Fyfe, he will not be a midfielder.

And you did say "we wasted a pick on Tilly"

Stop with your rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back