Practice Match at Sandringham

Remove this Banner Ad

SUNDAY 27th MARCH
VENUE: TREVOR BARKER OVAL

DEVELOPMENT
START: 10.00 am

SENIORS
START: 1.00 pm (but may be earlier depending on length of Development game)

NEXT WEEK
SATURDAY 2nd - PRACTICE MATCHES @ CASEY FIELDS

SUNDAY 27th MARCH
VENUE: TREVOR BARKER OVAL

DEVELOPMENT
START: 10.00 am

SENIORS
START: 1.00 pm (but may be earlier depending on length of Development game)

NEXT WEEK
SATURDAY 2nd - PRACTICE MATCHES @ CASEY FIELDS

Will be there as per usual, so look out for the post match really brief review featuring whichever player I can actually remember playing.

I'm unaware of teams being posted for practice matches in the past. It's in house and usually some players get a limited run in the senior and development teams.
Fair enough. I'm just working out what time to get there as I want to see Burton for the first time. Curious to know what game he'll play in.

Based on my observations of Ryan at training you wont be disappointed and might even need to take a cold swim in the bay before you can fasten your seat belt :$ . Think Gunner mark two possibly with a stronger body.

PRACTICE MATCH 2 SQUADS

Box Hill v Sandringham

Trevor Barker Oval

Sunday 27 March

Seniors, 1pm

Mirra, M. Lock, M. Warren, J. Soccio, S. Iles, L. Kidd, C. Jones, M. Traynor, A. Kennedy, C. O’Sullivan, J. Fisher, K. Brand, K. Heatherley, K. Lovell, B. Hardwick, K. Stewart, D. Howe, T. Miles, J. Miller-Lewis, L. Langford, D. Willsmore, M. Pittonet, B. McIntyre, L. Cox, B. Whitecross

Development, 10am

Murphy, A. Bond, J. Summers, L. Tobin, N. Evans, T. Gordon, L. Wiliams, J. Sullivan, P. Lawlor, J. Walker, Z. Monkhorst, S. Smith, J. Sandric, D. Hehir, S. Horner, J. Nolan, X. Dimasi, B. Kilpatrick, R. Sheridan-Ferrie, A. Brolic, L. Cavanagh, T. Castledine, J. Kidd

Sandy dominated the first half. 10.11.71 lead BHH 3.4.22

Bhh fielded a very inexperienced side. The 3 experienced players have been underwhelming excluding Mirra who is battling above his weight.

Wx has been quiet. Decision making is poor.

Willsmore has done SFA. Probably has his mind on the money he lost at Caufield yesterday.

Absolutely no run out of the backline. Brand is trying to create run, which is not his game, and he's getting caught out on the rebound. Has battled manfully, but is under a truckload of pressure. Heatherly is too small as is Mirra and they're stacking their fwd line.

Just returned home from the slaughter house after leaving just after 3/4 time

HFC players
Hardwick -only played limited time
Whitecross - needs to do a lot more
Brand & Heatherley down back under pressure most of the time
Willsmore took 1 good mark for the game
L Langford & J Miller-Lewis tried hard

A game to be forgotten very quickly - Sandy had much bigger bodies and the score line showed it.

No point wasting my time doing a long post. Everyone was s**t.

• Brand - Not gonna make it is my guess after a performance like that. He got a heap of the ball but completely overstates his performance. The ball was in the backline the entire time and it was mainly disposals under pressure to Heatherley, Willsmore or Mirra. He got destroyed by McCartin, who finished with a bag of goals and around 5+ contested marks. He kept reading the ball in the air poorly and being at the back of the pack while McCartin attacked the ball and was right at the front of the pack. Poor
  • Willsmore - Had a shocking day in terms of disposal. Missed a set shot in the first quarter and after that didn't hit any targets probably from confidence drop after the miss. Played behind the ball mainly (defence) so got a lot of disposals.
  • Heatherley - Had a much better day than all other defenders. Took 2-3 contested marks and didn't really get beaten one on one and gave away a free for a massive rugby tackle where he lifted the oppo player which was the highlight of my day.
  • Jermaine Miller Lewis - Average very average. Didn't dispose well, got a few nice overhead marks but didn't do much
  • Langford - Not the best key backman, doesn't really take any marks, but fought hard.
  • Miles - Quiet day but had a good second half with a lot of run and carry and trying to be vibrant. Played mainly HBF.
  • Hardwick - Fought well in the first half and played quite a bit of midfield which was surprising. Quite a few clearances to his name. Can't fault him today.
  • Whitecross - Pretty average, don't think he got the ball much, but then again neither did anyone.
  • Kade Stewart - I really like this guy. Fantastic kick on him and looks like a proper football player rather than an athlete, which is different from the cross-over athletes who aren't footballers. He fights hard for the ball, runs hard and if he had more muscles he'd be a much better tackler. Nothing bad to say about his day.
That was it from the Hawthorn players. Howe, Lovell and Pittonet didn't play even though they were named.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was fun :p

The only good box hill tackle of the day (by Heatherly) was called dangerous :rolleyes:

• Brand - Not gonna make it is my guess after a performance like that. He got a heap of the ball but completely overstates his performance. The ball was in the backline the entire time and it was mainly disposals under pressure to Heatherley, Willsmore or Mirra. He got destroyed by McCartin, who finished with a bag of goals and around 5+ contested marks. He kept reading the ball in the air poorly and being at the back of the pack while McCartin attacked the ball and was right at the front of the pack. Poor
That was it from the Hawthorn players. Howe, Lovell and Pittonet didn't play even though they were named.
Amazing how people see things differently. I can not agree with this, at all.

• Willsmore - Had a shocking day in terms of disposal. Missed a set shot in the first quarter and after that didn't hit any targets probably from confidence drop after the miss. Played behind the ball mainly (defence) so got a lot of disposals.
  • Heatherley - Had a much better day than all other defenders. Took 2-3 contested marks and didn't really get beaten one on one and gave away a free for a massive rugby tackle where he lifted the oppo player which was the highlight of my day.
  • Jermaine Miller Lewis - Average very average. Didn't dispose well, got a few nice overhead marks but didn't do much
  • Langford - Not the best key backman, doesn't really take any marks, but fought hard.
  • Miles - Quiet day but had a good second half with a lot of run and carry and trying to be vibrant. Played mainly HBF.
  • Hardwick - Fought well in the first half and played quite a bit of midfield which was surprising. Quite a few clearances to his name. Can't fault him today.
  • Whitecross - Pretty average, don't think he got the ball much, but then again neither did anyone.
  • Kade Stewart - I really like this guy. Fantastic kick on him and looks like a proper football player rather than an athlete, which is different from the cross-over athletes who aren't footballers. He fights hard for the ball, runs hard and if he had more muscles he'd be a much better tackler. Nothing bad to say about his day.
So brands a long way off senior selection is that what your saying,jezz lot off people saying he should have played tomorrow

The scoreboard is a bit misleading. Sandy had a lineup that, without seeing the team list, seemed to be near full strength. Meanwhile, BHH were fielding an u/19 side that didn't have a ruckman, KPF or any of the non-AFL experienced players other than Mirra in the first half. It was virtually an U/19 BHH side. They were monstered.

The inexperience of the midfield showed as they couldn't lay the hits or tackles, couldn't read the opposition ruckman and weren't overly defensive. Showed their lack of experience when they got the ball in defense. They all ran to the same spots and crowded the HFFs. It also had a look of North Melbourne last night. They were all taught where to run, but didn't know what to do once they got there, especially if things didn't go to plan.

I struggled identifying who was who without a form guide telling me numbers so my apologies for not being succinct. Not being a regular BHH attendee doesn't help.

WX - Offered nothing. Didn't show much leadership as the only midfield leader out there. Could be the end of him at Haw. if he can't find something soon.

Willsmore - Rubbish. Nuff said.

Brand - Not a game to remember, but he was trying to do more than he needed to. As I've posted above, he was trying to play as a KPD and a rebound defender to try and create something for the forwards, but the midfield being comprehensively beaten meant that it wasn't long until a turnover and he was left chasing tail to get back on his man. He was defending the resting ruckman (Holmes and Longer) all day and battled well. Forgive this game.

Heatherly - Poor. Looked a step behind all day. Struggled against the bigger, fatter Paddy McCartin.

Hyphen - Compared with last year, he's improved a great deal. Played in patches in the development team last year, but today he was always there abouts. Didn't do a whole lot aside from a few good marks, but he's increased his tank and improved a great deal overall over summer. Didn't helped that he was changed between the back line and the forward line constantly. Will be better for the run.

L.Langford - Needs grunt. Decision making was predictable and/or poor. Offered very little. Doesn't seem to have a position.

Stewart - My pick of the listed players today. In a midfield that got destroyed, he battled hard. His attack on the ball was unquestionable and his work in close was well above what you'd expect a rookie listed player in his first year. Not a bad find from the recruiters.

Miles & Hardwick - Didn't know their numbers so can't comment on their game. Too many players with the same haircut.

Of the BHH listed players:

Iles - Only played the second half. At the 3QT break he said words that astounded me, "We need to expect to lose the taps so we need to work off their ruck", which after getting slaughter for 3 quarters by the Sandy rucks, it amazes me that he needs to say something so bloody obvious to his troops. They missed his leadership and the limited time he played showed what he brings. He got the only goal of the 3rd quarter through pure hustle and committment to laying the tackle.

Fisher - I liked his game. He played hard and had a 'never die wondering' look about his game. Played as the makeshift KPF in the 2nd half and was frustrated as hell by the delivery in there.

14 (name unknown) - Played the second half and when he came on provided good pressure and attack on the ball. Won a few 3 or 4 on 1 contests however, when he won the ball, he had nothing to go to, which is a good summary of the game.

Kennedy - Looked like a player who hadn't played for a year. Looked a couple of steps behind and quite reactionary. His reading of the play was well off too.

Overall, a game they would have expected to lose. Add in a ruckman or 2, a KPF or 2 and some experienced mids and the result would be much closer.

So brands a long way off senior selection is that what your saying,jezz lot off people saying he should have played tomorrow
He should be. Put him in a position where he doesn't need to defend and has the likes of Gibson to help him out and the likes of Birchall, Burgoyne, et. al to hand off to once he gets the ball in the D50, and you'd see a very good Brand.

He couldn't play to his strengths today.

He should be. Put him in a position where he doesn't need to defend and has the likes of Gibson to help him out and the likes of Birchall, Burgoyne, et. al to hand off to once he gets the ball in the D50, and you'd see a very good Brand.

He couldn't play to his strengths today.
Don't agree sorry,never tried at that level has missed a lot of footy since his last game NAB cup show a little but their practice games.you say put him in a position where he dosn't need to defend what's he doing out there then.hes a defender if i,am not wrong?

OUCH, I hope the development team fared better. It would be interesting to know how many St Kilda players played for Sandy. Sadly it sounds like my CFA commitment this morning was very fortuitous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back