AFLW Practice Match - Blues v Geelong @ IKON Park - Saturday 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
This Saturday, 19th January, the Blues host the Cats in an AFLW practice match at IKON Park, before the season kicks off in 2 weeks.

Game starts at 11am and entry is free - enter via the Coffee Shop (Royal Parade side of ground).

Match will also be broadcast on the radio from 10am. RSN Carnival digital radio in Melbourne, or via rsn.net.au/digital-radio-2 (click Carnival) or via 89.1 FM (at the ground only)

I've also attached a pdf with both team lists (in numerical order) for those that want to print a copy.

Attachments

• Team Sheet - Carlton v Geelong - AFLW PM 2019.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 51
This Saturday, 19th January, the Blues host the Cats in an AFLW practice match at IKON Park, before the season kicks off in 2 weeks.

Game starts at 11am and entry is free - enter via the Coffee Shop (Royal Parade side of ground).

Match will also be broadcast on the radio from 10am. RSN Carnival digital radio in Melbourne, or via rsn.net.au/digital-radio-2 (click Carnival) or via 89.1 FM (at the ground only)

I've also attached a pdf with both team lists (in numerical order) for those that want to print a copy.
Thank you. Might try it out tomoz

A scrappy game at times, we were in control a lot but failued to push forward at times, if it were a real match we'd have out best side out there, vescio only played 1 quarter for instance so I hope getting the ball deep in our forward during the season is easier for us. Geelong got a few clean passages of play at times from end to end and scored, particularly in the second quarter when they caught up.

Marking is still a weakpoint for us, with Danielle Hardiman and Maddison Gay gone that will hurt us in areas of the ground, Allison Downie was probably our best mark in the centre of the ground (that I noticed) with her height advantage. We need to spoil better too, punch the ball away, Loynes was good at this. Sun in the eyes could have been a valid excuse for some dropped/missed marks.

I think Geelong had a few bigger players, our girls need to hit the gym in the offseason and put on some muscle. A few late and high hits in the fourth quarter saw Sarah Hosking knocked out and taken off the ground, a lot of remonstration for that.

I reckon Geelong were treating it as a real game while we were trying things out, blooding all 11 of our new players and getting gametime into them, resting/limited time for our core group of players and lots of interchanges. Geelong hardly rotated and were just playing it out.

It looked like tayla harris hurt her shoulder in a marking contest crashing the pack, she came off the ground too but it was late in the game so she might be alright for round 1 (fingers crossed)

Reni Hicks copped a massive knee in the back during a marking contest and went off the field with two or three minutes to go in the game.

As an aisde, the numbers on our jumpers look smaller than previous seasons, I might be incorrect but next to the geelong players they looked smaller/harder to read.

All in all, if we're fit I reckon we beat them when we face them down at Kardinia park in round 4, if we get to put our best team on the field on the day. THe Cats were good, but it was mainly their top 4 making things difficult for us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A scrappy game at times, we were in control a lot but failued to push forward at times, if it were a real match we'd have out best side out there, vescio only played 1 quarter for instance so I hope getting the ball deep in our forward during the season is easier for us. Geelong got a few clean passages of play at times from end to end and scored, particularly in the second quarter when they caught up.

Marking is still a weakpoint for us, with Danielle Hardiman and Maddison Gay gone that will hurt us in areas of the ground, Allison Downie was probably our best mark in the centre of the ground (that I noticed) with her height advantage. We need to spoil better too, punch the ball away, Loynes was good at this. Sun in the eyes could have been a valid excuse for some dropped/missed marks.

I think Geelong had a few bigger players, our girls need to hit the gym in the offseason and put on some muscle. A few late and high hits in the fourth quarter saw Sarah Hosking knocked out and taken off the ground, a lot of remonstration for that.

I reckon Geelong were treating it as a real game while we were trying things out, blooding all 11 of our new players and getting gametime into them, resting/limited time for our core group of players and lots of interchanges. Geelong hardly rotated and were just playing it out.

It looked like tayla harris hurt her shoulder in a marking contest crashing the pack, she came off the ground too but it was late in the game so she might be alright for round 1 (fingers crossed)

Reni Hicks copped a massive knee in the back during a marking contest and went off the field with two or three minutes to go in the game.

As an aisde, the numbers on our jumpers look smaller than previous seasons, I might be incorrect but next to the geelong players they looked smaller/harder to read.

All in all, if we're fit I reckon we beat them when we face them down at Kardinia park in round 4, if we get to put our best team on the field on the day. THe Cats were good, but it was mainly their top 4 making things difficult for us.

Thanks for the report. Was going to go but got called in to work last minute.

Who have we got playing back now that Bri is a forward and we lost a couple to the expansion teams?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what little I've seen, I remain very concerned with our pace and agility. I'd suggest strength isn't our issue so much as a total lack of overall conditioning compared to other teams. I'd be looking super hard at diet adherence.

After the high contact which knocked out Sarah Hosking, Richelle Cranston has been offered a two week suspension

A recap of the weekends games, haven't listened yet so I'm not sure how much our gamje is discussed but I'm sure Maher would have talkeda bit about it since he was involved.

Photo gallery

Your write up of the practice match was spot on drunkill. I caught the last 3 quarters and it wasn’t inspiring. Though there were patches where we strung together possessions and moved it quite well. Seemed to be lots of rotations.

Was very worrying when Hoskins on the ground. Doctors checked her out for ages and were calls for a neck brace at one stage, so glad Cranston is getting weeks off.

Prespakis is in the Loynes mould. Hard at it and gets the ball quite a lot. Liked her game.

Loynes - same again.

Stevens did a lot of the work down back. Barden looks very useful.

While Bri got 4 goals, i think i’d prefer her in the middle.
After the high contact which knocked out Sarah Hosking, Richelle Cranston has been offered a two week suspension

A recap of the weekends games, haven't listened yet so I'm not sure how much our gamje is discussed but I'm sure Maher would have talkeda bit about it since he was involved.

Photo gallery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back