Game Day Practice Match - Bulldogs vs Bombers 3:00pm @ Tullamarine

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd be shocked if we don't pair Schache with Naughton once Keath and O'Brien return. He's well ahead of JUH at this point. Schache was a good partner for Naughton in 2019 and compliments him well. Based on how it looked yesterday (yes, take a massive grain of salt given the context), our forward line could really use someone like Schache that, say what else you will about him, understands how to play the position.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Unless Doc has significantly dropped off in form there’s no way he gets easily dropped. He never gives up.
Duryea coming out of the best 22 is a yearly argument - one that I've made in the past. But he's been an absolute rock for us there for years now and nobody has come close to offering the same balance of offence and defence as he has.

I would like to see a bit of Williams on the wing this year playing Roarke's role.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All I'll say about JUH at this point is that he still seems a ways off impacting as a tall, he's probably in competition with the glut of small forward options we have, and I would have him middle of that pack at best based off yesterday (grain of salt, see what happens against Brisbane, etc).

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duryea is clearly best 22. He's a defensive general and so capable in the air for a small. His job on Charlie Cameron was one of the performances of our 2021 finals. If Richards barges his way into the back 6, it won't be at Duryea's expense.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English looked fantastic around the ground and in the centre bounces could this be the breakout year we've all hoped for?

Richards fantastic off half back defends well and kicks are always hitting targets.

Treloar fit will add that extra proper speed to our midfield we haven't had

Dunkley fit again and shoulder not bothering him was a great sign brilliant in and under work will take over Libbas role more.

Marra was a real concern though was watching his movements off the ball and he looked very lazy, didn't want any body contact but also didn't want to work to position.

Only other worry was the kicks inside 50 were atrocious really need to lift that or it'll be a frustrating year.

Overall for me we dominated the game but didn't capitalize good hit out for this time of year and signs are more promising than nit

Martin looked pretty terrible in all honesty. Would love to directly replace him with Sweet. No further comment on him as of yet other than to say he looked every bit of his age. Not a good sign.
I thought Martin looked ok at boundary throw ins but his inability to get off the ground at CBAs was a terrible look. Definitely worrying

All I'll say about JUH at this point is that he still seems a ways off impacting as a tall, he's probably in competition with the glut of small forward options we have, and I would have him middle of that pack at best based off yesterday (grain of salt, see what happens against Brisbane, etc).
He's probably competing with Hannan who was very good yesterday. Looks like Marra will start the year in the VFL hand have to force his way in.
Schache will be the swingman Lewie Young thought he was.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
The Good:
Treloar huge, especially front of the ball.
Hannan showed why Bev loves him. Looked to be rotating forward/wing.
Roarke - showed a bit. Expect him to have first crack at a wing
Naughton - Never out of a contest
JJ - Great game forward.
Richards - Not sure how he fits there, but encouraging down back.

The potentially bad:
JUH - didn't influence the contest at all, including defensively. May have played his way out of round 1.
Schache - not sold on him down back. Made a couple of bad errors which was uncharacteristic.
VDM - a few howlers.
I thought the most noticeable thing about Richards was how clean he was receiving and picking up the ball at pace. In contrast most of VDM’s howlers seemed to be a result of fumbling which took away all of his decision making time.

The Good:
Treloar huge, especially front of the ball.
Hannan showed why Bev loves him. Looked to be rotating forward/wing.
Roarke - showed a bit. Expect him to have first crack at a wing
Naughton - Never out of a contest
JJ - Great game forward.
Richards - Not sure how he fits there, but encouraging down back.

The potentially bad:
JUH - didn't influence the contest at all, including defensively. May have played his way out of round 1.
Schache - not sold on him down back. Made a couple of bad errors which was uncharacteristic.
VDM - a few howlers.
Schache may get a reprieve forward of the ball. We might be flipping the coin between Schache and Cordy (who track watchers said had spent some time forward). Q3 probably told us a lot.
Gardner's defensive efforts probably mean he's ahead of Schache/Cordy for the CHB role and he'll be the guy who stands with Keath & O'Brien

VDM is worrying - the effort and running was there but the execution wasn't. We still have Bailey Smith to come into that HF role and JJ was excellent.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tex Wanganeen is ready to join Darcy Parish and Jake Stringer as immortals of the AFL game after yesterday.

All jokes aside can we play Richards/Williams/Dale/Duryea with Daniel floating through with Keath and O'Brien?

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tex Wanganeen is ready to join Darcy Parish and Jake Stringer as immortals of the AFL game after yesterday.

All jokes aside can we play Richards/Williams/Dale/Duryea with Daniel floating through with Keath and O'Brien?

I feel like we could get away with it against most sides. There's a few with multiple decent talls that would stretch us a bit.

Tex Wanganeen

Never forget:
Still very pissed that Connors bent us over because Jess caught Paddy bending someone else over. The club should never forget the opportunistic way that Port traded so unreasonably with the club and the way that Wanganeen is proudly posing for pictures with him. First step should be to kick Tex out of James Hird academy.

I apologise for earlier getting the context of this post wrong. It wasn't because Gavin spoke about the supplements, it was because Gavin posed for a photo with Paddy Ryder.

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
More positive than negatives from that hit out I thought.

English was really strong in the ruck. I thought he got the better of Draper, which is a big improvement on the home and away game where he got slaughtered. Made me think he could actually be ready to go as a first ruck.

Shache was solid in the contest. I don’t recall him getting outbodied. Also made some mistakes and didn’t drop his head. In the passed his made 1 error and doesn’t see the ball for the rest of the game.

Richards probably provided the most drive off half back. He was extremely neat with his footskills. Excited to see how he goes this year.

Treloar was brilliant. Glad they took him off at 3qtr time. He was cracking in too had for a preseason game!

Dunkley, Naughton and Hannan were also solid.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like we could get away with it against most sides. There's a few with multiple decent talls that would stretch us a bit.
I’m warming towards Gardiner & Keath as the key position backs who match up directly against talls with Tim O’Brien as the floating interceptor. Would allow Williams, Dale, Duryea and Richards to rotate through the other 3 spots.

Also is there a structural reason for anyone other than Dale to take kick outs? I just feel Dale can always at worse get the ball out of bounds 70m away from goal with his ability to quickly burst out of the goalsquare and penetrate. I’d much rather push Caleb up more and have him deliver balls into FWD50.

DueWest

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richards was very good, think he will be the big improver this year albeit off a quiet one last year. Given our strong half backs it will be interesting where he fits in. His best position is half back, just a natural rebounder with good skills

Rucks still worry me

Didn’t notice Dunkley as much as the claimed stats a few pages back, if he got those numbers great but impact was lower than it could have been

Treloar brilliant, don’t get injured please

Arthur Jones looks “likely”. He will get an opportunity this year

Does anyone have an update on match ?

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unless Doc has significantly dropped off in form there’s no way he gets easily dropped. He never gives up.
Never forget..
S1BrWB21APP161507201.JPG

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Richards was very good, think he will be the big improver this year albeit off a quiet one last year. Given our strong half backs it will be interesting where he fits in. His best position is half back, just a natural rebounder with good skills

Rucks still worry me

Didn’t notice Dunkley as much as the claimed stats a few pages back, if he got those numbers great but impact was lower than it could have been

Treloar brilliant, don’t get injured please

Arthur Jones looks “likely”. He will get an opportunity this year

Does anyone have an update on match ?
In judging Dunkley's game I think we need to pause and appreciate that we were viewing from a single zoomed-out camera with Brendan Goddard commentating ... hardly conducive to appreciate inside grunt work of Dogs players.

English looked fantastic around the ground and in the centre bounces could this be the breakout year we've all hoped for?

Richards fantastic off half back defends well and kicks are always hitting targets.

Treloar fit will add that extra proper speed to our midfield we haven't had

Dunkley fit again and shoulder not bothering him was a great sign brilliant in and under work will take over Libbas role more.

Marra was a real concern though was watching his movements off the ball and he looked very lazy, didn't want any body contact but also didn't want to work to position.

Only other worry was the kicks inside 50 were atrocious really need to lift that or it'll be a frustrating year.

Overall for me we dominated the game but didn't capitalize good hit out for this time of year and signs are more promising than nit
Fairly good summation. Jones second half was exciting, adds a little bit different to what we have got.

First match against an opposition so will forgive them, but I am not sure atrocious is strong enough for our forward entries. Looked like we we actually trying to hit up the Bombre players

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In judging Dunkley's game I think we need to pause and appreciate that we were viewing from a single zoomed-out camera with Brendan Goddard commentating ... hardly conducive to appreciate inside grunt work of Dogs players.
Was at the game and was unsure of his impact at the time but seeing the stats didn't surprise me he was in and under every pack

Yes, Richards and Duryea can defend the others are more attack mined

Back