Game Day Practice Match - Bulldogs vs Bombers 3:00pm @ Tullamarine

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like our mids play a really good team-defense game in terms of running patterns, positioning, team-tackling, stoppages (most of the time), etc. But I think they are all pretty poor 1v1 defenders. They are all susceptible when caught out without support, mostly due to slow pace.
I think that’s a really fair comment but what is being caught out defending 1v1 for a midfielder? Like you said they’re all mostly one paced so of course can get burnt on the overlap etc I mean if it’s a 1v1 contest (which is rare anyway) I’m backing most of our mids over the majority of the league.

I just don’t think you can call our midfield poor defensively as a general rule - we play an attacking brand of footy

I think that’s a really fair comment but what is being caught out defending 1v1 for a midfielder? Like you said they’re all mostly one paced so of course can get burnt on the overlap etc I mean if it’s a 1v1 contest (which is rare anyway) I’m backing most of our mids over the majority of the league.

I just don’t think you can call our midfield poor defensively as a general rule - we play an attacking brand of footy

If our midfield really were poor defensively then we would be one of the most heavily scored against sides over the last 7 years due to our weak ruck stocks and key defenders. Our defensive midfield is what protects those vulnerable key backs and what restricts the dominant rucks we face.

Gards has a bit of Dougal Howard about his defensive play. Never an intercept marking threat but often gets a spoil in when you don't expect him to.

His size and speed allows him get to the spot and impact play. Hasn't got the best hands but he has gotten better every year with how aggressive he spoils.

Youse is way too kind.

I want a little more from the second key defender than an ability to be second or last to a contest and try and get a fist to it.

Our ruck stocks may be a little thread bare. However, aside from Keath, our KPD stocks are state league level atrocious.

I think I've found my theme for this coming season.

Prepare thyself.

giphy.gif

Youse is way too kind.

I want a little more from the second key defender than an ability to be second or last to a contest and try and get a fist to it.

Our ruck stocks may be a little thread bare. However, aside from Keath, our KPD stocks are state league level atrocious.

Prepare thyself.

giphy.gif
You ain't wrong, our top end KPD depth is bad. Gardiner in a vacuum though is fine, would be on a minimum chips contract, routinely plays 100% game time which is important when interchanges are capped and last year we won 8 of 9 games he played in, including 3 finals. Our defence at this juncture is fine, we conceded 100 points once last season, and I tell you what it wasn't the back 6's fault we copped 16 goals in 40 minutes.

Youse is way too kind.

Prepare thyself.

giphy.gif
I'm guessing you weren't a big Dale Morris fan then? Gardner rarely gets beaten and his spoils always clear the play and don't become dangerous to the opposition. The rest of our defence are great kicks so he just has to handball to one of them or kick it long down the line, Keath and O'Brien are the taller marking options so as long as he is occupying his player letting them fly (which he does) he is playing his role to perfection. I understand you are basically trolling but in a salary capped league you need role players and not superstars in ever position

Cordy instead of Gardner selected in the GF still annoys the s**t out of me.

Like him or not, he was improving all the time last year. Keath/Gardner need to be our FB/CHB options this year, Cordy if we need a third/fourth “taller” option but otherwise trust Williams & O’Brien to take care of things when the ball comes in

Cordy instead of Gardner selected in the GF still annoys the sh*t out of me.

Like him or not, he was improving all the time last year. Keath/Gardner need to be our FB/CHB options this year, Cordy if we need a third/fourth “taller” option but otherwise trust Williams & O’Brien to take care of things when the ball comes in

Brown would have had a much tougher job with Gardner's reach than he did with Cordy playing 10 m off him all day...

You ain't wrong, our top end KPD depth is bad. Gardiner in a vacuum though is fine, would be on a minimum chips contract, routinely plays 100% game time which is important when interchanges are capped and last year we won 8 of 9 games he played in, including 3 finals. Our defence at this juncture is fine, we conceded 100 points once last season, and I tell you what it wasn't the back 6's fault we copped 16 goals in 40 minutes.
We shouldn't be cutting corners on a position as crucial as CHB. This is not the place for your minimum chips kinda guys.

The two way work of our mids and mid size defenders, covers over the yawing chasm that we carry regarding our second tall defender.

Of course the moment our mids crack then the defence invariably gets swamped. I made the same point immediately after the GF debacle. That loss was entirely on the mids running out of puff and the coach having no way of countering the huge momentum swing that was happening. It had nothing to do with Ryan Gardner being in or out of the side. However that we went into that game with Zaine Cordy as preferred CHB is a pretty good indicator of where Im coming from.

I'm guessing you weren't a big Dale Morris fan then? Gardner rarely gets beaten and his spoils always clear the play and don't become dangerous to the opposition. The rest of our defence are great kicks so he just has to handball to one of them or kick it long down the line, Keath and O'Brien are the taller marking options so as long as he is occupying his player letting them fly (which he does) he is playing his role to perfection. I understand you are basically trolling but in a salary capped league you need role players and not superstars in ever position
What you might consider trolling. I consider expressing my actual opinion.

Dale Morris and Ryan Gardner do not belong in the same conversation. Dale Morris rarely trailed in his direct opponent to the contest and actually understood how to manoeuvre his direct opponent around and under the ball. He could use these attributes against his opponent and mark the ball. Ryan Gardner always trails, has no idea about body contact or often where his direct opponent is and very rarely marks the thing. Thats why the one attribute that everybody pins their praise on is incremental improvement and his ability to punch the ball. To say that "his spoils always clear the play and don't become dangerous to the opposition." like every time he does, it either goes out of bounds or miraculously to a teammate is ardent nonsense.

Once again. This is not the position a team should be cutting corners on. Roll players are for the flanks, pockets and the seconds.

I would give up any number of our mid range players and all the draft picks in the world for a competent CHB. Let alone a Darcy Moore type.

We shouldn't be cutting corners on a position as crucial as CHB. This is not the place for your minimum chips kinda guys.

The two way work of our mids and mid size defenders, covers over the yawing chasm that we carry regarding our second tall defender.

Of course the moment our mids crack then the defence invariably gets swamped. I made the same point immediately after the GF debacle. That loss was entirely on the mids running out of puff and the coach having no way of countering the huge momentum swing that was happening. It had nothing to do with Ryan Gardner being in or out of the side. However that we went into that game with Zaine Cordy as preferred CHB is a pretty good indicator of where Im coming from.
Spot on, we should be targeting a significant improvement in that area. We may have improvement there this year with O'Brien, allowing Gardner to settle into either a 3rd tall or become valuable depth. Like others have said I have no idea why we dropped Gardner for Cordy for the granny apart from experience.

Dale Morris and Ryan Gardner do not belong in the same conversation. Dale Morris rarely trailed in his direct opponent to the contest and actually understood how to manoeuvre his direct opponent around and under the ball. He could use these attributes against his opponent and mark the ball. Ryan Gardner always trails, has no idea about body contact or often where his direct opponent is and very rarely marks the thing. Thats why the one attribute that everybody pins their praise on is incremental improvement and his ability to punch the ball. To say that "his spoils always clear the play and don't become dangerous to the opposition." like every time he does, it either goes out of bounds or miraculously to a teammate is ardent nonsense.

Once again. This is not the position a team should be cutting corners on. Roll players are for the flanks, pockets and the seconds.

I would give up any number of our mid range players and all the draft picks in the world for a competent CHB. Let alone a Darcy Moore type.
I wonder if Dale has moved to the Gold Coast yet. I’m on the lookout 👁

Hit the nail on the head. I had a big laugh with the Gards and Morris comparison. Dale was the best body on body defender in the league for his size. Nearly always undersized and it didn’t matter he was that good. Riewoldt rated hI’m one of his hardest opponents. Gards can only jump and punch aimlessly, can’t use his body, has poor awareness but is ahead of Zaine these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic performance. Treloar and Naughton can hold their heads high but the rest were putrid. Shows where our heads are at after getting smashed in the GF. Dunks and Treloar's friendship has alienated the group.
This would be funnier if it were not paste by numbers piss take

Still reckon Sweet plays R1, sort of thing Beveridge* would do.

*Although it is a ruck we are talking about.
And Sweet hasn’t demonstrated any history of actually being able to hold down that position in the AFL

i hope he has developed and improved but I am not confident

Duryea didn’t get much game time at all. I wonder if the coaches are preferring Ed in that role at this point of the preseason. I think they’re competing for the same spot.
Would not have thought so after his performance last year could just be they know what he can do

Lachie Hunter was brilliant last season and been very good for a long time. I will forgive him for not hitting a few targets in a meaningless game and expect him to play his best football when it counts. The only time under Beveridge I have ever seen them serious in a practice match was his first year at the club. Ever since then they have just gone through the motions and in three weeks time will look like a completely different side. O'Brien's hamstring is only a minor one and still a good chance to play round 1. Keath and Smith should be fine to go also. Like the looks of Jones and great to see Treloar up and running when he was in doubt for round 1 last season. The key is Naughton, if he can stay relatively injury free and improve his goal kicking efficiency, then I would put my house on them to make top 4.
I still remember that first pre season when those dummies Mark Allan and David Schwarz interviewEd Bevo and made some stupid comment like how we would just be aiming for some improvement and wouldn’t make the finals. Bevo was absolutely livid and would have jumped down the phone line and taken them both out. I remember thinking that we may have found ourselves a good coach

The Good:
Treloar huge, especially front of the ball.
Hannan showed why Bev loves him. Looked to be rotating forward/wing.
Roarke - showed a bit. Expect him to have first crack at a wing
Naughton - Never out of a contest
JJ - Great game forward.
Richards - Not sure how he fits there, but encouraging down back.

The potentially bad:
JUH - didn't influence the contest at all, including defensively. May have played his way out of round 1.
Schache - not sold on him down back. Made a couple of bad errors which was uncharacteristic.
VDM - a few howlers.
Hannan showed what a difference fitness and a pre season can make. He is a dangerous player when he is fit

Hunter's advantage is his fitness and running, of course he's going to look ordinary the less fitness intensity a match is being played in. Hardly his strength.

Duryea also didn't play in the Melbourne practice game last year for some reason, even though we theoretically played a full strength team that match, but he was fully fit throughout the pre-season and played every game until Round 20. So there's form in that regard, and it's happened before and not unusual.

Tactically in terms of playing players in certain positions - Richards HB, Johannisen HF, Dunkley 100% mid only, Schache a half forward and down back, English rucking 50+% of the game even though Martin also rucked, Hunter going on the ball for spurts and not just playing outside for the entire match probably most notable.
I’m pretty sure Dureya did have some minor niggle last year but I reckon with him Bevo is confident in what he can do

I think I saw Jones got 10 possessions in a half. That equals 20 possessions in a full game ... if he was able to keep it up for 4 quarters.

That's pretty impressive for a kid having his first hitout for the club against seasoned opposition.

How was his ball usage and decision making? If it is any good and he can repeat that performance over four quarters against Brisbane I'd reckon he's a genuine chance of a Round 1 debut. Bevo won't be afraid to go for it if he thinks he's got a player on his hands.

Its a good start. But I saw Jason Tutt get 30 posessions and 3 goals or similar in his first game.
Hannan showed what a difference fitness and a pre season can make. He is a dangerous player when he is fit

hannans decision making is the worry, and I cant see fitness helping that much. Practice matches are that bit slower than the real thing and thats where 'VFL players' tend to find their level.

Its a good start. But I saw Jason Tutt get 30 posessions and 3 goals or similar in his first game.

hannans decision making is the worry, and I cant see fitness helping that much. Practice matches are that bit slower than the real thing and thats where 'VFL players' tend to find their level.
yeah nah i Don’t agree he is any better or worse than any others in that respect but to be able to play at his pace and being a good mark is invaluable. His pace is threating with or without the ball and fitness is the key to that particularily as he had leg issues in last years pre season

CD will only record it as a disposal once the player fully steps out of the square as per their 2021 definition.

It does seem as there are some line calls though and it has affected the fantasy arena, more so Dreamteam than Superoach because kick-ins are always counted as uncontested.
How stupid am I? I tend to gloss over stats a bit although I appreciate the great work you do but I only just realised CD was champion data I used to think you were talking about Caleb Daniel all the time

The 'people' that kept trying to maintain that perception repeatedly is the 'people' who many of us ended up with on 'Ignore'! GF autopsy thread last year was a prime example. I'm sure you remember Scrag - given your reaction to the first post! :)

View attachment 1333438

And a few of us enjoyed this reply from another poster:

View attachment 1333439

Anyway, sorry for bringing him up again, I did deliberately exclude the names of the posters.

I think Dale will be fine, he is not as intimidated as JJ was by the attention at times - although tbf to JJ, he had many contests even last year where he kept his eyes on the ball, so he bounced back from the perception of being soft as well. And with Dale filling the old JJ role in defence, JJ looks like he will be a weapon in F50.
I agree 💯 and also I admire anyone brave, stupid or reckless enough to brave the post GF threads. My therapist (wife) refused point blank to allow me to go there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back