AFLW Practice Match - Carlton v Geelong @ Princes Park - Saturday 11am

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
This Saturday, 19th January, Geelong take on Carlton in an AFLW practice match at Princes Park, before the season kicks off in 2 weeks.

Game starts at 11am and entry is free - enter via the Coffee Shop enterance (Royal Parade side of ground).

Match will also be broadcast on the radio from 10am. RSN Carnival digital radio in Melbourne, or via rsn.net.au/digital-radio-2 (click Carnival) or via 89.1 FM (at the ground only)

I've also attached a pdf with both team lists (in numerical order) for those that want to print a copy.

Attachments

• Team Sheet - Carlton v Geelong - AFLW PM 2019.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 177
Good to get a listen of some footy from LA....

Forgot about this but great to hear it.

Puts the Cats Mens VFL to shame sadly but thats another story.

Sounds like the Cats are doing it well.

GO Catters

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I read the story on Conventry's injury on Krocks football page - question, who is Flynn?

ELISE Coventry’s AFLW season is over before it begins after suffering a serious knee injury in Geelong’s practice match win over Carlton at IKON Park on Saturday.
Scans have confirmed the 34-year-old, who made the move from netball ahead of the Cats entry into the VFL in 2017, suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in an incident late in the first quarter.
Flynn played 30 games across 2017-18 before Geelong used pick No.55 in the AFLW draft in October to give the 34-year-old an opportunity.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/geelong-cats-news/coventry-blow-cats/

That's it Geelong players are never allowed to tackle Carlton players ever again.

Bit harsh to miss a quarter of the season due to an errant tackle..

I just tried a google search for AFLW Tribunal Changes & AFLW Match Review Penalty System because I knew there had been issues last year when Brennan was suspended for the GF - other than the article talking about her suspension & that there will be changes I couldn't find anything else about what changes have actually been made.

But I thought that these quotes from the original article are quite interesting when thinking about Rocky being charged & the potential 2 week suspension:

A joint statement from the AFL and the Western Bulldogs yesterday said: “The AFL will amend the differences in the sanctions regime to ensure AFLW players are not more likely to be suspended than men for identical conduct with identical disciplinary records”.
- So was Rocky's conduct identical to what we would see from an AFL player for them to receive a 2 week suspension or a 6 week suspension which is closer to 1/4 of the AFL season?

A male player in the AFL would have been fined $2000 and $3000 respectively for the two rough conduct offences.
Fines were excluded from AFLW penalties due to relatively low payments received by women but for Brennan the move had a disastrously unintended consequence.
- Don't exclude fines, but rather than have the fines at a set amount $1,000 1st offence, $1,500 second offence etc (or whatever it in the AFL), make it a percentage of match payments. Maybe something like 1st offence is 25% of match payment, second offence is 50% so that way the players aren't missing games for stupid indiscretions but rather they are being hurt where it counts & relative to what they earn - I'm not sure of their wages but taking a guess that the likes of Rocky, Moana Hope or Daisy Pearce (I'm aware she has this season off) would be earning more than say Nina Morrison.

Wednesday joint statement said: “The AFL acknowledges that the sanction regime established by the league for the women’s game differs from the men’s game. This regime was established in good faith and in consultation and agreement with the players through the AFLPA in 2016.”
- That I totally agree with the point that the women's game differs from the men's game; seems that it's so much easier to be suspended for an extended period(i.e. a quarter of the season) in the AFLW than it is in the AFL where majority of suspension don't see players miss large chunks of the season. So with the AFLW, they may also need to start taking into account the length of the season when dishing out penalties.

https://outline.com/xmguus

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just tried a google search for AFLW Tribunal Changes & AFLW Match Review Penalty System because I knew there had been issues last year when Brennan was suspended for the GF - other than the article talking about her suspension & that there will be changes I couldn't find anything else about what changes have actually been made.

But I thought that these quotes from the original article are quite interesting when thinking about Rocky being charged & the potential 2 week suspension:

- So was Rocky's conduct identical to what we would see from an AFL player for them to receive a 2 week suspension or a 6 week suspension which is closer to 1/4 of the AFL season?

- Don't exclude fines, but rather than have the fines at a set amount $1,000 1st offence, $1,500 second offence etc (or whatever it in the AFL), make it a percentage of match payments. Maybe something like 1st offence is 25% of match payment, second offence is 50% so that way the players aren't missing games for stupid indiscretions but rather they are being hurt where it counts & relative to what they earn - I'm not sure of their wages but taking a guess that the likes of Rocky, Moana Hope or Daisy Pearce (I'm aware she has this season off) would be earning more than say Nina Morrison.

- That I totally agree with the point that the women's game differs from the men's game; seems that it's so much easier to be suspended for an extended period(i.e. a quarter of the season) in the AFLW than it is in the AFL where majority of suspension don't see players miss large chunks of the season. So with the AFLW, they may also need to start taking into account the length of the season when dishing out penalties.

https://outline.com/xmguus
It all depends what the charge is mate. Cranston was rough conduct with high impact to the head. The injured player also never returned to the field, which they take into account. If the charge was low impact to the head and the player she tackled stayed out there and was unhurt, she would have got off the charge without a suspension. The Brennan case was a little different, she was charged with rough conduct and low impact to the head. The player she tackled stayed out on the ground. If the same thing happened this season, Brennan would get a fine, the ladies cant get suspended anymore for tackles if they are graded low impact to the head. If a male got charged and found guilty of the same offence as Rocky, they would get 2 weeks like she did. The suspensions now for men and women are pretty much the same. They don't take into account the length of the season.

Back