Game Day Practice Match Carlton v Hawthorn - February 21st 4.00PM @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be interested to know how we have done with late picks compared to other sides?

We also have to consider list balance.

It's a frivolous analysis, that comparison. For the sake of sating curiosity, I'd be happy to see it, but unless we can find a club in the same position as us we're comparing apples to oranges. Doesn't matter a whole lot who Hawthorn or West Coast or Adelaide might have managed to secure with the equivalent of our future fourth rounder, because each of those clubs is offering a completely different sales pitch to us.

Paddy Dow was another of those draft hopefuls that Arr0w and I watched from up in the stands at Punt Rd.

PD1.jpg

I'll be the first to admit I was hoping Bolton & Barker would let him off the chain to operate as the inside mid we drafted him for.

PD2.jpg

I got my wish and Dow didn't disappoint.

PD3.jpg

The Hawks put a little work into Kennedy by taking his run, providing blocks and shepherds like any good midfield would.

PD4.jpg

Which meant that Dow effectively got to operate as the No.1 extractor.

PD7.jpg

.....and while he was sweated on and wrapped up like any inside mid on many occasions.

PD5.jpg

Dow managed explode out of quite a few with ball in hand.

PD6.jpg

And while he may only be a 2nd year player, he was impressively strong and tough at the contest on Thursday.

PD10.jpg

Apart from Kennedy, there wouldn't have been another Bluebagger who played a more physical role.....and whats more he seemed to relish it.

PD9.jpg

Even when being scragged or tackled, his Hawk opponents found it extremely difficult to stop him off-loading the ball or getting in a deft touch.

PD8.jpg

Like SPS, Fisher and O'Brien, Dow's game is evolving at a rapid rate. He acquitted himself pretty well playing a difficult role against mature bodies on Thursday and just like with O'Brien, Bolton, Barker and Russell would've been delighted with what they saw. I was most impressed how well he ran out the game given his willingness to crash in for the entirety of the evening and how he combined with O'Brien, Walsh and SPS.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to know how we have done with late picks compared to other sides?

We also have to consider list balance.

Names like Newman Garlett Williamson Kerr Macreadie Polson Lobbe Gibbons look good value to me so far.

Be interesting to see how BSOS Finbar Goddard Owies progress

3 drafts ago we started the rebuild and with not much to deal with. Achieved a lot IMO

In all fairness to SOS, we had four first round selections in 2015, two top 10 selections in 2017 and two first round selections in 2018.

Our recruiters were clearly focused on the top end of the draft over the past four years.

When you clear out senior talent for draft picks, you can't afford to miss in the draft. If you mess up your early selections, the rebuild will take more than a decade because the first round of draftees, in our case Weitering, Curnow, McKay and Cuningham don't have the ability to drive our group forward.

St Kilda is a prime example of the point I'm trying to make. St Kilda started their rebuild in 2012. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't appear they selected the right players with their high end selections to push for a finals campaign in the near future.

As top 30 selections become more scarce, expect more resources to be utilised for the back end of the draft and mature aged talent.

Paddy Dow was another of those draft hopefuls that Arr0w and I watched from up in the stands at Punt Rd.

View attachment 624539

I'll be the first to admit I was hoping Bolton & Barker would let him off the chain to operate as the inside mid we drafted him for.

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

The Hawks put a little work into Kennedy by taking his run, providing blocks and shepherds like any good midfield would.

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

.....and while he was sweated on and wrapped up like any inside mid on many occasions.

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

And while he may only be a 2nd year player, he was impressively strong and tough at the contest on Thursday.

View attachment 624548

Apart from Kennedy, there wouldn't have been another Bluebagger who played a more physical role.....and whats more he seemed to relish it.

View attachment 624552

Even when being scragged or tackled, his Hawk opponents found it extremely difficult to stop him off-loading the ball or getting in a deft touch.

View attachment 624561

Like SPS, Fisher and O'Brien, Dow's game is evolving at a rapid rate. He acquitted himself pretty well playing a difficult role against mature bodies on Thursday and just like with O'Brien, Bolton, Barker and Russell would've been delighted with what they saw. I was most impressed how well he ran out the game given his willingness to crash in for entirety of the evening and how he combined with O'Brien, Walsh and SPS.

These reviews are so good mate. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a frivolous analysis, that comparison. For the sake of sating curiosity, I'd be happy to see it, but unless we can find a club in the same position as us we're comparing apples to oranges. Doesn't matter a whole lot who Hawthorn or West Coast or Adelaide might have managed to secure with the equivalent of our future fourth rounder, because each of those clubs is offering a completely different sales pitch to us.

I’d find it interesting and not frivolous at all. But that’s me

View attachment 624539

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

View attachment 624548

View attachment 624552

View attachment 624561

Like SPS, Fisher and O'Brien, Dow's game is evolving at a rapid rate. He acquitted himself pretty well playing a difficult role against mature bodies on Thursday and just like with O'Brien, Bolton, Barker and Russell would've been delighted with what they saw. I was most impressed how well he ran out the game given his willingness to crash in for entirety of the evening and how he combined with O'Brien, Walsh and SPS.

I was harsh on Dow in my post-game comments, in retrospect. He got absolutely smashed in there (and he loved it), which was difficult to see at times + as you said it was essentially him and Kennedy playing inside, nobody was helping.

He's a ripper, can't wait to see what he does with Cripps and Ed around taking some heat away.

View attachment 624539

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

View attachment 624548

View attachment 624552

View attachment 624561

What you come to expect from a guy that puts his mouth on a players foot and loses a tooth then grins.
Though according to a few hes in for a terrible year.....lol

View attachment 624539

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

View attachment 624548

View attachment 624552

View attachment 624561

As youknow, i'm a big Paddy Dow fan. Good analysis.

I reckon when he matures and learns his trade as he goes along, the bell will toll in his head that he's "got more" than his opponents and he will excel. He loves the contest and loves trying to please his teammates and his coach atm, but he is understandably playing with a fair bit of deference to all the midfield guns around him. When he shrugs that deference he will be an animal i reckon.

Fingers crossed we get 40 games out of our 200kg's of muscle(Kruze and Crippa) this year to give the young blokes a chance in the midfield.

Thought Newman did an exceptional job defensively in one on one contests. Knows how to position himself and win the 50 50 ball. Really rate him and in all honestly, I think he'll be a more valuable pick up for us than McGovern.

I couldn't believe what I saw with Goddard. Thought he was really struggling based on some of the training reports. I was so impressed. It's only one performance but I don't believe there's much of a gap between Weitering and Goddard. At least defensively in one on one contests. Obviously Goddard didn't run out a full game so I don't know about his capacity to compete for four quarters, but I was presently surprised by what I saw.

What I want to know is why St Kilda didn't persist?
Speaking to a stkilda supporting mate, who was a damn good KP footballer himself, was told he simply wasn't near the level required.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 624539

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

View attachment 624548

View attachment 624552

View attachment 624561

Great write up mate, keep them coming

I know you and I wanted Cerra and i would still have taken Constable, but I do love the bull in Dow and as Terry mentioned, he is not that far away from stamping himself on the game

View attachment 624539

View attachment 624540

View attachment 624541

View attachment 624542

View attachment 624543

View attachment 624544

View attachment 624547

View attachment 624548

View attachment 624552

View attachment 624561

Was great to read this! Most other reports suggested he was sluggish and not involved. Brilliant photography too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You people realise half of our match day threads don't go half as long as this one...… withdrawals???
Yes they do.

You get about 50 posts each from posters like moody, 2thabone, cookie etc just being super negative. Then you three times as many replies from everyone else telling em how it really is.

Then you also get the rest of the discussion.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d find it interesting and not frivolous at all. But that’s me

I'm always up for hypothetical comparisons, just pointing out that this specific one would be limited in what it could tell us, because there's a whole lot of context to be factored in as well, a significant amount of which we're not privvy to.

Draft analysis over time I find a little easier, as you can look at who we took and which "better" players were taken later. But mature recruits via trade? Lots of unknowns.

I'm always up for hypothetical comparisons, just pointing out that this specific one would be limited in what it could tell us, because there's a whole lot of context to be factored in as well, a significant amount of which we're not privvy to.

Draft analysis over time I find a little easier, as you can look at who we took and which "better" players were taken later. But mature recruits via trade? Lots of unknowns.

Why can’t I add the context? I’d just like to know. Didn’t think it was a big issue

Last edited:
Average pace, average agility, average kick placement. Improvement on Mullett, but I feel that we could have recruited better in terms of both his position on the list and that of Goddard, Gibbons/Bugg and Cottrell.

A lot better. On the bright side, our drafting ability in the first 3 rounds is much improved.
Harsh

Speaking to a stkilda supporting mate, who was a damn good KP footballer himself, was told he simply wasn't near the level required.

He's definitely entitled to his opinion but I know what I saw on Thursday and it definitely doesn't assimilate to those comments.

He might have seen too much of him whilst he was injured and underdeveloped for a KPD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident Goddard blanketed Sam Weideman in the VFL last season.

Why are you here? What's your purpose in baiting Carlton fans? It's a practice game - well done. Why are Hawthorn fans the most insecure and needing of attention and validation?
It's because the media have stopped talking about them. Last year it was all about the rise & rise of the Demons & Maggies & following the recruitment of Shiel, the media want to talk about the Dopers. The Hawks, much like the Cats, have become yesterday's news.

I really like this photo.

Shows an area of our game that we can improve if we develop a cohesive structure and play as a team.

I can see James Worpel in the background hunting down Paddy Dow, with Cam Polson stationed right next to him.

In this passage, we need to see Polson protect Paddy Dow and lay a bump on Worpel. This will give the ball carrier more time to make the right decision and effectively execute the disposal.

I know it's a little thing but these are the things that make good teams great. Not everything is about possession counts.

You people realise half of our match day threads don't go half as long as this one...… withdrawals???
Certainly an indication of how much we have been hanging out to actually have some match play to talk about rather than speculating about who is going to do what & who isn't.

He's definitely entitled to his opinion but I know what I saw on Thursday and it definitely doesn't assimilate to those comments.

He might have seen too much of him whilst he was injured and underdeveloped for a KPD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident Goddard blanketed Sam Weideman in the VFL last season.
I've never seen him play personally so can't say. I rate Weiderman so that is good to hear.

He did touch on him being injured etc but just didn't rate him. Great footballers are harsh judges though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back