Game Day Practice Match Carlton v Hawthorn - February 21st 4.00PM @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy Dow was another of those draft hopefuls that Arr0w and I watched from up in the stands at Punt Rd.

View attachment 624539

I'll be the first to admit I was hoping Bolton & Barker would let him off the chain to operate as the inside mid we drafted him for.

View attachment 624540

I got my wish and Dow didn't disappoint.

View attachment 624541

The Hawks put a little work into Kennedy by taking his run, providing blocks and shepherds like any good midfield would.

View attachment 624542

Which meant that Dow effectively got to operate as the No.1 extractor.

View attachment 624543

.....and while he was sweated on and wrapped up like any inside mid on many occasions.

View attachment 624544

Dow managed explode out of quite a few with ball in hand.

View attachment 624547

And while he may only be a 2nd year player, he was impressively strong and tough at the contest on Thursday.

View attachment 624548

Apart from Kennedy, there wouldn't have been another Bluebagger who played a more physical role.....and whats more he seemed to relish it.

View attachment 624552

Even when being scragged or tackled, his Hawk opponents found it extremely difficult to stop him off-loading the ball or getting in a deft touch.

View attachment 624561

Like SPS, Fisher and O'Brien, Dow's game is evolving at a rapid rate. He acquitted himself pretty well playing a difficult role against mature bodies on Thursday and just like with O'Brien, Bolton, Barker and Russell would've been delighted with what they saw. I was most impressed how well he ran out the game given his willingness to crash in for the entirety of the evening and how he combined with O'Brien, Walsh and SPS.
This is BF posting crack!
Gimme more!

Touching briefly on some others.

FWIW, I'd much rather see Charlie Curnow do more of presenting up at the ball carrier than wrestling at a marking contest. Whenever he comes out on the lead he invariably ended up with the ball. Mind you the delivery into the forward line especially in the first quarter wouldn't have exactly inspired his confidence.

CC3.jpg

The exact same goes for McKay. Whenever he presented up he generally ended up with the ball......and at his height, even if he doesn't mark it he'll have a very good chance of drawing a free kick.

HM3.jpg

McGovern played for a approximately the first quarter and a half. Looked very rigid and stiff and had no real impact. His certainly looked restricted when running. Based upon what I saw of his movement he's behind the curve with his recovery and I'd think he'd be a doubtful starter against the Dopers. If he does, then I'd be surprised if he plays for more than a half. Must admit I never knew he had a left foot (in the footballing sense).

MM1.jpg

I know we make a lot of McKay's, Charlie's and McGovern's mobility, but the defensive side of their games were beyond piss-poor on Thursday. Harry & Charlie aren't kids anymore, they're 4th year players now, while McGovern's in his mid twenties......they all know what's required. The ease of which their direct Hawthorn opponents were able to waltz the ball out of the forward 50 was concerning. For example, in the 3rd Qtr Harry missed a simple tackle on Brand and it was left to Setterfield to bring him down. It simply ain't good enough.

JG1.jpg

I'm not with others who say we should persist with Garlett in the backline. You simply can't afford to have two unaccountable, free-wheeling, small defenders in the one backline. One of them actually needs to play as a defender. Four of Hawthorn's goals came either directly or indirectly from Garlett's turnovers while another two occurred, because he lost touch with his direct opponent. His decision-making when bringing the ball out of the backline was horrendous and nor does he win enough of the ball to play the defensive slingshot role. Sorry, it's just how it is.

EC1.jpg

Likewise, Ed Curnow really didn't perform as a defensive forward and perhaps a better idea might be to switch he and Garlett around as forward-craft isn't exactly Ed's strong suit. At least Ed knows how to play a defensive role and close down a player. He can also run all day. The only query I have about Ed in this role is bringing the ball out of defence by foot when under pressure.

MG1.jpg

Gibbons was OK without exerting any influence on the game. Certainly looked far more at home around the stoppages and through the middle of the ground rather than playing as a small forward. While he was little better than the Curnows, McKay, McGovern and Polson in regards to applying some defensive pressure, Gibbons could've done a little more in this department.

TDK2.jpg

If Kreuzer or Phillips still aren't available next week, I'd pump the game into TDK. I think it'd be smarter investment for the future than putting the game into Lobbe or Casboult. TDK's still a bit unco when it comes to the timing of taking his position when going for contested marks around the ground, but he's strong enough to hold his position in the air when it comes to ruck contests at ball-ups. Was a definite improvement upon Casboult when he came onto the ground after half time and made sure Ceglar and McEvoy didn't continue to enjoy the free ride they'd had against Casboult and McKay.

NN1.jpg

Nic Newman generally looked comfortable and rarely rushed. Although he's not particularly quick, he always has a good handle on where his opponent is at all times. Was always solid in the the contest and would then spread to space to provide and outlet for his fellow defenders. I don't think Newman's ever going to be a superstar, but he plays the percentages well and should be a solid citizen for us down back. Given that we're unlikely to see Docherty, Marchbank, Williamson or Macreadie in the short-to-medium term, I'd expect Newman to play most, if not all, games this season.

SOSOS2.jpg

There's obviously been an attempt over the last 12 months to turn SOSOS into a Jack of all trades......but unfortunately, as hard as he tries, he's a master of none. At AFL level by the time Jack's thought process has finished and he knows what he wants to do with ball, all too often he gets cuffed. It simply takes him too long to get the ball from hand to foot for him to make it as a midfielder. The only place I can see him making it is as a 3rd tall in the front half and given McGovern's injury history, that's not necessarily out of the question. The biggest advantage he has over all our other tall forwards is that things like the application of defensive pressure and the extra bit of effort he puts in to close down an opponent may just be all the edge he needs.

LJ2.jpg

......and Liam Jones was my last shadow. Sounds like something straight out of Avatar. I put this one in because I liked the photo.....nothing more.

Jones was terrific with his trademark effort and chestybonds marks. As much as we all may flognosticate about his demise at times, he'll be there for each and every game. Along with Newman, he was one of the few defenders who exerted some pressure on the opposition when he didn't have the ball.

Last edited:

FWIW, I'd much rather see Charlie Curnow do more of presenting up at the ball carrier than wrestling at a marking contest. Whenever he comes out on the lead he invariably ended up with the ball. Mind you the delivery into the forward line especially in the first quarter wouldn't have exactly inspired his confidence.

View attachment 625052

The exact same goes for McKay. Whenever he presented up he generally ended up with the ball......and at his height, even if he doesn't mark it he'll have a very good chance of drawing a free kick.

View attachment 625055

McGovern played for a approximately the first quarter and a half. Looked very rigid and stiff and had no real impact. His certainly looked restricted when running. Based upon what I saw of his movement he's behind the curve with his recovery and I'd think he'd be a doubtful starter against the Dopers. If he does, then I'd be surprised if he plays for more than a half. Must admit I never knew he had a left foot (in the footballing sense).

View attachment 625062

I know we make a lot of McKay's, Charlie's and McGovern's mobility, but the defensive side of their games were beyond piss-poor on Thursday. Harry & Charlie aren't kids anymore, they're 4th year players now, while McGovern's in his mid twenties......they all know what's required. The ease of which their direct Hawthorn opponents were able to waltz the ball out of the forward 50 was concerning. For example, in the 3rd Qtr Harry missed a simple tackle on Brand and it was left to Setterfield to bring him down. It simply ain't good enough.

View attachment 625070

I'm not with others who say we should persist with Garlett in the backline. You simply can't afford to have two unaccountable, free-wheeling, small defenders in the one backline. One of them actually needs to play as a defender. Four of Hawthorn's goals came either directly or indirectly from Garlett's turnovers while another two occurred, because he lost touch with his direct opponent. His decision-making when bringing the ball out of the backline was horrendous and nor does he win enough of the ball to play the defensive slingshot role. Sorry, it's just how it is.

View attachment 625067

Likewise, Ed Curnow really didn't perform as a defensive forward and perhaps a better idea might be to switch he and Garlett around as forward-craft isn't exactly Ed's strong suit. At least Ed knows how to play a defensive role and close down a player. He can also run all day. The only query I have about Ed in this role is bringing the ball out of defence by foot when under pressure.

View attachment 625088

Gibbons was OK without exerting any influence on the game. Certainly looked far more at home around the stoppages and through the middle of the ground rather than playing as a small forward. While he was little better than the Curnows, McKay, McGovern and Polson, Gibbons could've done a little more with applying some defensive pressure on the Hawks defenders.

View attachment 625094

If Kreuzer or Phillips still aren't available next week, I'd pump the game into TDK. I think it'd be smarter investment for the future than putting the game into Lobbe or Casboult. TDK's still a bit unco when it comes to the timing of taking his position when going for contested marks around the ground, but he's strong enough to hold his position in the air when it comes to ruck contests at ball-ups. Was a definite improvement upon Casboult when he came onto the ground after half time and made sure Ceglar and McEvoy didn't continue to enjoy the free ride they'd had against Casboult and McKay.

View attachment 625102

Nic Newman generally looked comfortable and rarely rushed. Although he's not particularly quick, he always has a good handle on where his opponent is at all times. Was always solid in the the contest and would then spread to space to provide and outlet for his fellow defenders. I don't think Newman's ever going to be a superstar, but he plays the percentages well and should be a solid citizen for us down back. Given that we're unlikely to see Docherty, Marchbank, Williamson or Macreadie in the short-to-medium term, I'd expect Newman to play most, if not all, games this season.

View attachment 625103

There's obviously been an attempt over the last 12 months to turn SOSOS into a Jack of all trades......but unfortunately, as hard as he tries, he's a master of none. At AFL level by the time Jack's thought process has finished and he knows what he wants to do with ball, all too often he gets cuffed. It simply takes him too long to get the ball from hand to foot for him to make it as a midfielder. The only place I can see him making it is as a 3rd tall in the front half and given McGovern's injury history, that's not necessarily out of the question. The biggest advantage he has over all our other tall forward is that things like the application of defensive pressure and the extra bit of effort he puts in to close down an opponent may just be all the edge he needs.

View attachment 625106

......and Liam Jones was my last shadow. Sounds like something straight out of Avatar. I put this one in because I liked the photo.....nothing more.

Jones was terrific with his trademark effort and chestybonds marks. As much as we all may flognosticate about his demise at times, he'll be there for each and every game. Along with Newman, he was one of the few defenders who exerted some pressure on the opposition when he didn't have the ball.
Great write up and pics again TSG. Thank you.

Thanks to you and others for the insight - it's a 3 hour each way journey for me, so no way I'm going to get to a practice match.

I would, however, question the value of most of the discussion of intensity and effort in this thread (not having a ping at you specifically, there's been a lot of it).

It is fairly obvious even from the highlights package that this practice game was played at about 30% of full throttle by both teams (which is absolutely to be expected) - with a few individuals ramping it up a little higher. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about how much of a crack any player is going to have when the real stuff starts.

I also suspect young Mr Walsh is in for a rude shock on March 21 for the same reason. It will be worth watching for that alone - to see how he adjusts to the massive step up in intensity, and against probably the best whole field pressure side in the game.

Thanks to you and others for the insight - it's a 3 hour each way journey for me, so no way I'm going to get to a practice match.

I would, however, question the value of most of the discussion of intensity and effort in this thread (not having a ping at you specifically, there's been a lot of it).

It is fairly obvious even from the highlights package that this practice game was played at about 30% of full throttle by both teams (which is absolutely to be expected) - with a few individuals ramping it up a little higher. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about how much of a crack any player is going to have when the real stuff starts.

I also suspect young Mr Walsh is in for a rude shock on March 21 for the same reason. It will be worth watching for that alone - to see how he adjusts to the massive step up in intensity, and against probably the best whole field pressure side in the game.

He’ll be a target for the unsociable stuff on the 21st nothing surer.

Every new drafted player is targeted - par for the course unlike SPS/Fisher/Dow/LoB - Walsh will have the benefit of these same players able to play for extended periods at AFL levels of output and also having the benefit of a much more lethal forward line to kick to.

What opposition has to concern themselves with this year will be thinking about covering Cripps whilst at the same time covering for a bunch of bigger faster fitter players around Cripps at the same time. If oppostion wishes to smother Cripps and Walsh - they might just make it easier for other Carlton players to get of the leash.

Carlton 2019 midfield capability on paper at least is a totally different one than what was cobbled together in 2018.

To be fair to Polson he is probably one of the more consistent ones when it comes to Shepard’s, blocks and other 1%s.

Correct.

Watched our players out of the goal square against Hawks.

Polson was constantly moving into the path of Hawk KPD’s to free up Harry and crew on the lead.

Not saying he is a gun - but he’s certainly committed to playing a team role.

He’ll be a target for the unsociable stuff on the 21st nothing surer.

Don’t see the 2 country bulls in Cripps or Bam Bam not standing up for anyone. Even JSOS has a strong Carlton fire to throw his weight around. This team has stuck together thru the toughest season & is a very tight nit group. I’d expect fireworks if anything’s tried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 625052

View attachment 625055

View attachment 625062

View attachment 625070

View attachment 625067

View attachment 625088

Gibbons was OK without exerting any influence on the game. Certainly looked far more at home around the stoppages and through the middle of the ground rather than playing as a small forward. While he was little better than the Curnows, McKay, McGovern and Polson in regards to applying some defensive pressure, Gibbons could've done a little more in this department.

View attachment 625094

View attachment 625102

View attachment 625103

There's obviously been an attempt over the last 12 months to turn SOSOS into a Jack of all trades......but unfortunately, as hard as he tries, he's a master of none. At AFL level by the time Jack's thought process has finished and he knows what he wants to do with ball, all too often he gets cuffed. It simply takes him too long to get the ball from hand to foot for him to make it as a midfielder. The only place I can see him making it is as a 3rd tall in the front half and given McGovern's injury history, that's not necessarily out of the question. The biggest advantage he has over all our other tall forwards is that things like the application of defensive pressure and the extra bit of effort he puts in to close down an opponent may just be all the edge he needs.

View attachment 625106

Thanks TSG,
Jack has apparently worked hard over the break to increase his endurance levels which was an area that needed to be addressed. He is clearly giving himself every chance to succeed and i think tagging might just be another educational tool he might benefit from . He has previously been tried in quite a few possies without any great success and he has been linked to a mid role so this might be another learning experience necessary for his development. A couple of years as a run with player might really benefit him in the long run.

Don’t see the 2 country bulls in Cripps or Bam Bam not standing up for anyone. Even JSOS has a strong Carlton fire to throw his weight around. This team has stuck together thru the toughest season & is a very tight nit group. I’d expect fireworks if anything’s tried.
Hope so but the tigers have been consistently good at it for a couple of seasons. Not really our go just ATM .

Thanks TSG,
Jack has apparently worked hard over the break to increase his endurance levels which was an area that needed to be addressed. He is clearly giving himself every chance to succeed and i think tagging might just be another educational tool he might benefit from . He has previously been tried in quite a few possies without any great success and he has been linked to a mid role so this might be another learning experience necessary for his development. A couple of years as a run with player might really benefit him in the long run.

Love this idea for JSOS, he can have an impact wherever on the ground they drag him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back