Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Suprised the club hasn't but up a Thilthorpe highlights package, was the only good thing about yesterday
Not really....Sam Berry was super impressive in the SANFL trial match and Newchurch gave us a glimpse of his potential should his development go well

McHenry quietly impressive also I thought considering some had written him off.

Suprised the club hasn't but up a Thilthorpe highlights package, was the only good thing about yesterday
I wonder if anyone on here is able to put a few clips together. That left foot kick to the lead, followed by the right foot kick to Newchurch alone would be enough. Elite.

So after the internal and Port trials surely the best forward combo at this point is Frampton and Thilthorpe as the two deep forwards with Berg, Walker, Fog and Lynch fighting out for the 2 high forward roles.

Sloane, Jones, Schoenberg weakest contributors in the middle with Berry putting his hand up for a role with Pedlar slightly behind.

Worrell and Borlase knocking on the door

Fair description?

So after the internal and Port trials surely the best forward combo at this point is Frampton and Thilthorpe as the two deep forwards with Berg, Walker, Fog and Lynch fighting out for the 2 high forward roles.

Sloane, Jones, Schoenberg weakest contributors in the middle with Berry putting his hand up for a role with Pedlar slightly behind.

Fair description?
I'd go Walker and fog. Lynch should be left in the twos and Berg needs to take Framptons spot

I wonder if fogarty would benefit from having thilthorpe in the forward line. By this i mean thilthorpe can take contested marks and will draw defenders to him. This might allow fogarty to be able to play a lead up forward role to compliment this. Thilthorpe once he really gets goibg will most certainly draw the opposition best defender each week. Just a thought

The good news is we nailed the 2020 draft but the bad news is that will take a while to flow through to results ( certainly not this year )

Ogilvie has made some great calls in his time but he’s also responsible for our 1 dimensional midfield , he really has struggled in that department

wouldn’t surprise me with what is going on with John Olsen on the front foot if they look to make a change, unless you’re Stephen Wells it’s prob good to refresh at times

I’m not saying this lightly and it’s really the first time I’ve thought a change is necessary

Hamish’s record really ain’t that great: he took over in 2012, and the shadow of that period looms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh God I'm depressed.
Will we ever get the Neil Craig stain off the club sheets? How did this bloke, who had zero success, still have such a lasting impact on the club??

Steve Jobs was an innovator at Apple who was cast to the wolves when the neophytes couldn’t recognise his genius

only when Jobs came back did they scale the heights

conclusion: we need the visionary genius of Neil Craig back!! ;)

I don't think Nick Gill is going to make it

I like and rate Fogarty but surely you're at least a bit worried about him

I have no reason to believe that I will not become at least a bit worried about Thilthorpe in due course, given our poor record at coaching and developing forwards.

McAsey reads the ball in the air better when he's up forward IMHO

Down back he gets caught between going to the ball (instinct) and combating his opponent (instruction). In two minds and struggles a bit. Plus obviously only a 2nd year physique.

I could see that.

It’s why players who lack the instincts to play forward often make decent defenders

I have no reason to believe that I will not become at least a bit worried about Thilthorpe in due course, given our poor record at coaching and developing forwards.
I didn't think I could be brought down any further after Milera's injury... but you're spot on :(

Just watched the whole thing. Kept a close eye on McAsey and Hately.

Port were clinical for 95%. They're confident and know their game plan. The younger guys are still coming through seamlessly. Butters is a key player imo.

I didn't think we were terrible considering how outclassed we were and that we had a hard time getting uncontested footy. Still managed to create opportunities. Some good and bad signs.

Good:

Keays easily our best with ROB not far behind.

Have to say McHenry has surprised me so far. Looks handy and had a decent game.

Tex looking pretty good for a cooked old man.

Frampton has also surprised. I like Berg still, but he hasn't done heaps wrong tbh.

Hamill and Sholl had their moments but were in and out. They're our future play makers. Hamill not as sharp as Sholl, but he makes up for that with dash. Good picks from that draft.

Didn't think fog was too bad considering his opportunities. He makes the most of his touches.

I like Rowe. He'll be a player I reckon.

Bad:

It feels like Hately should come in and make a difference. He was a first round pick and has big biceps. The problem is he's very much a rookie on the field. He looks as inexperienced as he is. He's also not as strong as he looks. Had a couple of nice handballs but apart from that doesn't look too be close to it atm. Needs experience.

I've commented a lot on McAsey but one more thing I noticed was that he goes to ground at almost every contest. He's diabolical at keeping his feet and has a glacial recovery. In a normal team he would be sitting in the reserves for a few years imo. I would honestly rather try and throw Borlase to the wolves at this point. Can't be any worse.

Schoenbergs kicking has been poor so far. Good in traffic but needs to tidy that up.

Sloane is almost a non entity.

Jones looked back to his 2020 self already. Still focusing on too much and it doesn't suit him. Get the ball and run.

McPherson was okay but he's been sloppy so far. Not like him.

Milera huge loss given where his career is at and what he was looking to bring to our one dimensional and poorly skilled
Midfield.

Seedsman's numbers are too close together. Looks like a 1 from the distance.

Smith looking a bit like an old man so far.

Overall we're a bottom side who are very much in the midst of a rebuild not only of the playing group, but the staff as well. I think we'll do better than last year given a more stable game plan, but we won't do that much better. TT, Pedlar and Berry need to come in for half a season. It sounds like none of them had the pre season required to play a full year, but they're physically ready to get exposure and will probably add decent value to the 22.

Fair description?
I thought Warrell was impressive again, has some skill sets that set him apart ie booming kick, nice height, natural runner with ball in hand and good key position height . People say Borlase is not tall but looks tall on the ground as has huge shoulders and good wing span so that makes up for 3 cm in height

Last edited:
Not the handshake and leave but play him half back or half forward .... if it was good enough for guns like hodge and Mitchell it’s good enough for Sloaney

Hodge and Mitchell absolutely elite by foot, create space and time and have elite vision. Sloane is D grade in those attributes, his value was in his junk yard doggedness and gut running ability. It's laughable to place him with that company, totally footballers. Sloane's next best role is back to elite fitness and working up and back from half forward. His other point of difference is he's well better than average above his head.

Hodge and Mitchell absolutely elite by foot, create space and time and have elite vision. Sloane is D grade in those attributes, his value was in his junk yard doggedness and gut running ability. It's laughable to place him with that company, totally footballers. Sloane's next best role is back to elite fitness and working up and back from half forward. His other point of difference is he's well better than average above his head.
What about in the other forward pocket next to rowe and thilthorpe. Sloane can take a good grab and kick a goal and can reasonably expect to play the role of a pressure forward too. Could extend his career

So full disclosure I watched the SANFL trial, then had to work for a few hours. I came back in and watched 10 mins of the 3rd quarter and Port kicked 5 or 6 unanswered goals with us barely touching it. I decided to keep hanging out with my kids instead of sitting through the rest of the game.

Do you guys recommend going back and slogging through the carnage? At this point i'm almost content in what I saw of Thithorpe, Berry, Newchurch and Worrell in the magoo's!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back