Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Do you guys recommend going back and slogging through the carnage? At this point i'm almost content in what I saw of Thithorpe, Berry, Newchurch and Worrell in the magoo's!

Don't do it to yourself.

Other than a couple of nice bits of play from Hamill and Keays, we were back to playing like we did early on in 2020. The midfield in particular was completely uncompetitive.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't do it to yourself.

Other than a couple of nice bits of play from Hamill and Keays, we were back to playing like we did early on in 2020. The midfield in particular was completely uncompetitive.
Cheers, Yeah the 10 mins I saw was a midfield bloodbath. I think i'll skip it and just wait for next week.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hodge and Mitchell absolutely elite by foot, create space and time and have elite vision. Sloane is D grade in those attributes, his value was in his junk yard doggedness and gut running ability. It's laughable to place him with that company, totally footballers. Sloane's next best role is back to elite fitness and working up and back from half forward. His other point of difference is he's well better than average above his head.
Exactly what I’m saying , and there isn’t a comparison in talent but the role change that should happen

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
So after the internal and Port trials surely the best forward combo at this point is Frampton and Thilthorpe as the two deep forwards with Berg, Walker, Fog and Lynch fighting out for the 2 high forward roles.

Sloane, Jones, Schoenberg weakest contributors in the middle with Berry putting his hand up for a role with Pedlar slightly behind.

Worrell and Borlase knocking on the door

Fair description?

No. Walker by far the standout of all in the FWD line, Frampton a close 2nd and the rest fighting it out. Thilthorpe should be given a crack in the seniors this weekend, he was unplayable in the trial match. So versatile that he could replace Fog or Lynch.

Tex showed in the first trial match that he's still got the goods as long as the supply to the FWD line is adequate. But just wait for the boo-boy posters to come on BigFooty when he can't seem to work miracles with a lack of quality supply.

My guess is that Berg won't get a R1 game, Thilthorpe will light it up this weekend but we'll still pick Fog to see what he does in a season-proper setting.

We have plenty of players knocking on the door, and i'm surprised that we've been so conservative with our selections so far.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know I’m biased seeing I know Keays personally (hence my interest in this forum and the Crows in general) but for what it’s worth, he actually would have been picked higher than 24 if he wasn’t an academy selection. A lot of mock drafts at the time had him from 16-21. Although it’s clear everyone appreciates his high level play so far, don’t sleep on the fact this could be the norm from now on. Forget the whole rookie pick/delisted thing

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I know I’m biased seeing I know Keays personally (hence my interest in this forum and the Crows in general) but for what it’s worth, he actually would have been picked higher than 24 if he wasn’t an academy selection. A lot of mock drafts at the time had him from 16-21. Although it’s clear everyone appreciates his high level play so far, don’t sleep on the fact this could be the norm from now on. Forget the whole rookie pick/delisted thing
He looks to have backed up his 2020 form better than most so I doubt you'll find too many detractors on here.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Based on what? Neither of them have shown anything to date. At least McAsey has only been in the system for 1 interrupted season. Fogarty is rapidly running out of excuses.
Fogarty has shown plenty, just not as often as he should.

The back end of his 2019 was very good.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

Meh... he showed less yesterday than McAsey did, and Fogarty has been in the system a lot longer.

I really hope he does make it, but so far there are very few positive signs as far as Fogarty is concerned.

He's gotta take more steps forward otherwise he'll be the next Mackay that we all look back on as having that one good game ages ago

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's gotta take more steps forward otherwise he'll be the next Mackay that we all look back on as having that one good game ages ago
The reality for Fog and Walker is that they won't play deep forward moving forward. With Thilthorpe and Berg/Frampton we have 2 x 200cm forwards that will be hard to match up on like Geeolong and Brisbane have opted for.

Walker and Fog need to play on the 50 and further upfield. This could actually help Fog as he then gets the third best defender and gets to be around the contest more.

Having Walker and Fog delivering into the forward line is the best use of their skill set

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
With Tex looking fitter, he can play Lynch's role. Albeit differently.

Let Fog play closer to goal.

Tillthorpe, wherever. He looks smart enough to play a role regardless of designated position. A great third tall (for now) who can run

Frampton/Hberg second Ruck/Forward.

Next two years are developing years. Structure not that important. Fog and Tillthorpe have to play as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Next two years are developing years. Structure not that important. Fog and Tillthorpe have to play as much as possible.
Within reason ... the next few years are development/rebuild years for the club and I don't reckon they should run Tilly into the ground - play him but as soon as his body gets weary, give him plenty of rest to recover before going again. Slow and steady is the way to go.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Within reason ... the next few years are development/rebuild years for the club and I don't reckon they should run Tilly into the ground - play him but as soon as his body gets weary, give him plenty of rest to recover before going again. Slow and steady is the way to go.
Agree, don't flog him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh God I'm depressed.
Will we ever get the Neil Craig stain off the club sheets? How did this bloke, who had zero success, still have such a lasting impact on the club??
Craig didn't have this terrible "lasting impact". It's just that every time BF posters see a selection or tactical decision they don't like, it's all "Oh, it's Neil Craig all over again". Those decisions are made by the current coaches for their own reasons, right or wrong, and not because they are feeling some "impact" from Neil Craig.

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just finish watching the 'SANFL' Crow's trial game and really like the game of Berry and Thilthorpe.
Newchurch does have something special in the open field.
I really liked Himmelberg's endeavor especially his first half, he did a lot of work that went unnoticed by the commentators.
Still double grabbed too much in this game but towards the end of last year he was taking strong one grab marks.
His ruck work is more than serviceable.
Borlase got beaten early but really tightened up on his opponent and Ace Taylor did some good things.
Pedlar was called Hinge the whole first quarter and while he was on the field he did well.

No player absolutely dominated but some promising signs in this game.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Craig didn't have this terrible "lasting impact". It's just that every time BF posters see a selection or tactical decision they don't like, it's all "Oh, it's Neil Craig all over again". Those decisions are made by the current coaches for their own reasons, right or wrong, and not because they are feeling some "impact" from Neil Craig.
Thanks Obama

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hodge and Mitchell absolutely elite by foot, create space and time and have elite vision. Sloane is D grade in those attributes, his value was in his junk yard doggedness and gut running ability. It's laughable to place him with that company, totally footballers. Sloane's next best role is back to elite fitness and working up and back from half forward. His other point of difference is he's well better than average above his head.
He’s definitely a good enough player to read it across half back and mark it and kick it well out of there with good decision making , forward or back but not much time in mid is how I’d play him

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just finish watching the 'SANFL' Crow's trial game and really like the game of Berry and Thilthorpe.
Newchurch does have something special in the open field.
I really liked Himmelberg's endeavor especially his first half, he did a lot of work that went unnoticed by the commentators.
Still double grabbed too much in this game but towards the end of last year he was taking strong one grab marks.
His ruck work is more than serviceable.
Borlase got beaten early but really tightened up on his opponent and Ace Taylor did some good things.
Pedlar was called Hinge the whole first quarter and while he was on the field he did well.

No player absolutely dominated but some promising signs in this game.

Berry did much better than Pedlar this week. I rewatched the first quarter carefully and noticed that Pedlar was a starting mid, but he did nothing at all in his first stint, mainly because he seemed to be very closely checked by the oppo. Then he was off for 10 minutes, came back on and was back to his normal self until the end of the quarter, mainly because he was more in the open, allowing his left foot to shine.

Back