Preview Practice Match - GWS Friday February 25 @ 6:00 pm AEDT at Lavington Sports Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see Stephens getting a game unless they drop one of rowbottom, Hayward or Florentine

Might get a game if mills doesn’t get up

He also has guss and Roberts thst will develop fast to contend with

Can see us playing an extra mid this season maybe, I know we say it every year but Parker forward would solve this as well

I feel like one thing that's gone unmentioned is how the likes of Buddy, Lloyd, Parker, Heeney etc did next to nothing. I could maybe recall one or two good things each of them did. Clearly we're a very different team when all of them are firing, as I suspect they will by round 1.

I thought Franklin was moving well which is the most important thing at this time of year.

Heeney was underwhelming though. He looked small standing next to the GWS mids.

Thanks for the commentary folks… glad I didn’t get myself tied in an oldies IT knot for the crap coverage.
Pyke, prematch, hinted about not revealing too much with the Round 1 fixture in mind and goes some way into explaining a less than fluid display.
Keen for an improved showing from our VFL team this season. Confidence and proficiency feed into each other and, with our depth building nicely, winning games is essential to developing each and every player on our list… not just the ones dropping back from the fringe of the 22 to work on specific areas of their game.

I thought Franklin was moving well which is the most important thing at this time of year.

Heeney was underwhelming though. He looked small standing next to the GWS mids.

Spot on. Even though he has shown an ability to be strong in a contested marking contest he has the build of a lean athletic wingman. Does he have the body strength to hold his feet at ground level and win contested ball at ground level against opposition big body mids ? That's who he will be opposed to. I am not convinced. Not to say he still can't be a match winner for us in the role he has previously played. Injury free and a little more consistency and still a massive bonus for us.

Spot on. Even though he has shown an ability to be strong in a contested marking contest he has the build of a lean athletic wingman. Does he have the body strength to hold his feet at ground level and win contested ball at ground level against opposition big body mids ? That's who he will be opposed to. I am not convinced. Not to say he still can't be a match winner for us in the role he has previously played. Injury free and a little more consistency and still a massive bonus for us.
I think if we play him as an extractor we are not using his gifts, but as an outside mid he could probably be very good.

Ok. Back and have some juice.

Overall thoughts:

Stephens should be best 22. Not ifs or buts. Needs an extended run to get comfortable but definitely should enough. Constant off ball movement to right spots.

Campbell. Is. Not. A. Defender. He can do it but such a damn waste.

Logan gets a run first. McLean cannot do the same run and link play he can. With Ladhams and Hickey rotating resting fwd, Logan has the complementary skill set.

Warner will have a big year if injury free.

Forward entries were shocking. No weigh or consideration on delivery. Cooked it multiple times.

Mid set up looked shonky but may have been due to multiple rotations.

Gould is not it. Too in betweener for this level. Can rebound but cannot defend bigs. Looked a bit lost man marking in defence.

Rankine was great. If has good development over next year, should have a position in the back pocket. So composed.

Clarke and Taylor are done. Decision making is poor. Execution equally so. Above VFL level but not afl level type. Bell was Bell.

Roberts and Sheldrick looked very nice when on. McAndrews has a lllloooooonnnnnggggg development ahead of him. Good at tap work which is a plus.

Main stand outs and what I was looking for. If anyone wants more info, ask away
Great summary.. thanks Membling
Stephens - agree 100%. Good field positioning and clearly has the speed and endurance to do it all game. No slouch with his disposal either
Campbell - I dont mind the idea of half back for his development. Horse has a history of developing quality players there.. Jones, Mills, Dawson, Blakey, JMac. Campbells development is key, hes got a huge upside
Logan - yep.. 1st choice of 2nd tall behind Buddy
Warner - 100%.. Reckon we could see a lot of improvement from the 3rd & 4th yr players. Gould however is still a big maybe.. fingers crossed
Always like a good project player and Rankin & Stretch (McAndrew) fit the mould. Still got a way to go, especially Stretch!

Ill add.. as questions as much as opinions
Paddy - looked absolutely AFL level. could be a massive (free) pick up at either end of the ground.
We'll miss both Mills and Paps if out for long
Alot of strange positioning and combinations.. dont think Horse wanted to give much away, rather him wanting a physical hit out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did JPK look safe and assured at HBF?

I imagine his role in transition when we have the ball is to handball off to a runner and/or better user of the ball by foot. Did he defend effectively when GWS were heading forward? Heppell ,made the adjus,tment at the Don's.

Did JPK look safe and assured at HBF?

I imagine his role in transition when we have the ball is to handball off to a runner and/or better user of the ball by foot. Did he defend effectively when GWS were heading forward? Heppell ,made the adjus,tment at the Don's.

Looked very assured. His ability to read the play and get into the right position was really good. He will be burnt in transition and quick ball movement but that is a known.

hey boiz, sorry for the incursion, just wondering if Paddy Mac played and how he went if so?

cheers!

Paddy played and did very very well as a KPD. Knew where to go and did not lag on his opponent. Should be in round 1 team on this form

Looked very assured. His ability to read the play and get into the right position was really good. He will be burnt in transition and quick ball movement but that is a known.

Paddy played and did very very well as a KPD. Knew where to go and did not lag on his opponent. Should be in round 1 team on this form
well I still don't think it's a good idea he plays at all, but if he does play I hope he goes well! Love paddy. Reads it very well, good leg on him too

Great summary.. thanks Membling
Stephens - agree 100%. Good field positioning and clearly has the speed and endurance to do it all game. No slouch with his disposal either
Campbell - I dont mind the idea of half back for his development. Horse has a history of developing quality players there.. Jones, Mills, Dawson, Blakey, JMac. Campbells development is key, hes got a huge upside
Logan - yep.. 1st choice of 2nd tall behind Buddy
Warner - 100%.. Reckon we could see a lot of improvement from the 3rd & 4th yr players. Gould however is still a big maybe.. fingers crossed
Always like a good project player and Rankin & Stretch (McAndrew) fit the mould. Still got a way to go, especially Stretch!

Ill add.. as questions as much as opinions
Paddy - looked absolutely AFL level. could be a massive (free) pick up at either end of the ground.
We'll miss both Mills and Paps if out for long
Alot of strange positioning and combinations.. dont think Horse wanted to give much away, rather him wanting a physical hit out.
Lots to agree with SG but (there's always a but!) Campbell at half back is one thing, back pocket is another thing altogether. Much more of a lockdown role. I would question whether we have room for Cunningham, Lloyd AND Campbell.
Halfback to me looks stronger like:
JMac Tommy Blakey

Stray thought, we need a tall mid. At the CBAs we looked outsized every single time.

May not be a huge issue but for balance, reckon a big mid would be ideal
yep, theres was a fair bit of chatter on here 2&3 drafts/trade periods ago wanting a tall / big bodied mid.
JPK hasn't retired yet - still has something to offer in this space
Heard a fair bit of chatter about Warner and Rowbum being powerful / strong. Sheldrick and Roberts probably fit this mould too. Not tall, but strong.
Mills at 187cm is tall(ish), JMac 188cm

Also, GWS have a big midfield.. Hopper, Ward 187cm, Toranto, Stone 188cm, DeBoar 189cm, T Green, Callaghan 192cm
GWS also have 20+ 1st round picks on their list. Probably not the best midfield to compare us with

Lots to agree with SG but (there's always a but!) Campbell at half back is one thing, back pocket is another thing altogether. Much more of a lockdown role. I would question whether we have room for Cunningham, Lloyd AND Campbell.
Halfback to me looks stronger like:
JMac Tommy Blakey
yep..
Cunners, Tom Mac, Rampe and Lloyd will play. Is there room for another small? probably not?? Another tall (Paddy seems front runner after last night) seems a must
a Half back line including JMac, Blakely and Campbell (Campbell likely off the bench) with all three rotating through the wing looks pretty dam good to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back