Preview Practice Match - GWS Friday February 25 @ 6:00 pm AEDT at Lavington Sports Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Pleased with the reports on Warner and particularly Stephens and PaddyMac.

Sounds like each of the three Rookies showed a bit and we should be quietly pleased.
Paddy looked a class above the whole time, round 1 lock.
Did JPK look safe and assured at HBF?

I imagine his role in transition when we have the ball is to handball off to a runner and/or better user of the ball by foot. Did he defend effectively when GWS were heading forward? Heppell ,made the adjus,tment at the Don's.
I recall no feelings of safety or assuredness with him. Got beaten badly in defensive 50 on one occassion to my recollection.

Lost - Dawson and Hewett

Gained P McCartin who will cover Dawson's marking ability. Definite loss of a good kick so really need Campbell to come on.

Hewett can be covered if we have our whole midfield available.

Feel we can at least match our efforts last year and if we can get a few wins early we'll improve.

Lost - Dawson and Hewett

Gained P McCartin who will cover Dawson's marking ability. Definite loss of a good kick so really need Campbell to come on.

Hewett can be covered if we have our whole midfield available.

Feel we can at least match our efforts last year and if we can get a few wins early we'll improve.
Agree, Ladhams and Paddy are both sizable ins, and more than offset Dawson as we replace him with natural progression of Blakey and Campbell in my opinion. Ladhams is a genuine presence up forward and in the ruck, with Hickey too teams will not enjoy the ruck contest against us. Rampe being 3rd tall now will also not be fun for opposition teams.

Also means mclean wont get games and immense pressure on Fox, Florent and Stephens, Wicks, Hayward, Mcdonald and Armety. Multiple of those will miss weekly.

Did JPK look safe and assured at HBF?

I imagine his role in transition when we have the ball is to handball off to a runner and/or better user of the ball by foot. Did he defend effectively when GWS were heading forward? Heppell ,made the adjus,tment at the Don's.

I don't get the sense that they intend to play JPK in defence for the rest of his career.

Think it's more about giving younger players exposure in the centre square, rather than anything they plan on doing with him. I think by round 1, he will be playing exclusively as an on baller.

Last edited:
Could you tell if it made a real difference rather than just visual? GWS supposedly are very big in the mids.

Been vocal on wanting a big mid for a bit and was keen on Johnson this year but ah well. And yes, few of the centre clearances we looked to be bullied off the ball and GWS mids could give the player with the ball far more time and space than our muds.

yep, theres was a fair bit of chatter on here 2&3 drafts/trade periods ago wanting a tall / big bodied mid.
JPK hasn't retired yet - still has something to offer in this space
Heard a fair bit of chatter about Warner and Rowbum being powerful / strong. Sheldrick and Roberts probably fit this mould too. Not tall, but strong.
Mills at 187cm is tall(ish), JMac 188cm

Also, GWS have a big midfield.. Hopper, Ward 187cm, Toranto, Stone 188cm, DeBoar 189cm, T Green, Callaghan 192cm
GWS also have 20+ 1st round picks on their list. Probably not the best midfield to compare us with

To be fair would expect most mids to be fairly strong if thrown in the guts. Think there is definitely a space for the bigger type of mid in our rotations.

The CBAs from this match. I think too many for Heeney & Florent, and not enough for Rowbottom & Stephens.

Rowy was pretty poor in the match from what I saw. Burnt players and the ball in the game. Looks to have regressed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hold that thought until you see him in a contested game.

I'm quite ok with being the only person on BigFooty who rates Brander. I'm still confident enough he will justify my excitement, even if its for *in GWS...

It's just twice now we have just missed out on him and thats annoying me lol.

Good to see the team out there again, as the game is taken to a regional centre, with a good crowd in attendance.

I think next week's final hitout will tell us a lot more.

Warner our best I thought.
Paddy slotted in nicely down back and I'm fairly sure it was he who collided with a post when he went to ground to knock a rushed behind through. So good to see no sign of hesitancy or concern on his part, in relation to head knocks.

Liked Rankin's decision making and ball use when he came on in the ressies game, but strangely he didn't appear in the last ten minutes.

Looking forward to next week and see what tweaks we make positionally and particularly in structure and ball use. :)

Good to see the team out there again, as the game is taken to a regional centre, with a good crowd in attendance.

I think next week's final hitout will tell us a lot more.

Warner our best I thought.
Paddy slotted in nicely down back and I'm fairly sure it was he who collided with a post when he went to ground to knock a rushed behind through. So good to see no sign of hesitancy or concern on his part, in relation to head knocks.

Liked Rankin's decision making and ball use when he came on in the ressies game, but strangely he didn't appear in the last ten minutes.

Looking forward to next week and see what tweaks we make positionally and particularly in structure and ball use. :)
I wonder with Rankin if they said "OK seen enough, he's fine for where he's at" and gave him a pat on the back.
Seems unanimous that he's a calm and skilful unit. Unlikely to play seniors just yet. Let him work hard and develop in VFL.
Lloyd MKII?

I'm quite ok with being the only person on BigFooty who rates Brander. I'm still confident enough he will justify my excitement, even if its for fu**in GWS...

It's just twice now we have just missed out on him and thats annoying me lol.

Just enjoy the fact that West Coast must be kicking themselves for unloading him now they've lost Oscar Allen for a long stretch and Darling forever probably.

Btw it looks like that unless a miracle happens we might not see Gould ever play for us in the main game. Paddy has got the KPD position on lock. No news about Melican's absence but hes prob next in line. Gould didn't get picked high so not a bust but just a bit peeved.

Btw it looks like that unless a miracle happens we might not see Gould ever play for us in the main game. Paddy has got the KPD position on lock. No news about Melican's absence but hes prob next in line. Gould didn't get picked high so not a bust but just a bit peeved.
Second round, U18/19 skipper, cannon boot, hard man. This is a disappointing outcome so far. It appears he's worked hard but something(s) just haven't clicked. Must be very discouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back