Game Day Practice Match | North Melbourne v Melbourne | Feb 28th 1.10pm @Arden St. [Live on nmfc.com.au]

Remove this Banner Ad

Elijah Taylor isn’t a small forward, he’s like 189cm or something. Basically the exact same player as Curtis Taylor, Hosie, Thomas (the forward) and Garner, ie not what we need.
Taylor was also considered a massive go home risk and had questions over his off field activities. Doubt he lasts at Sydney.

Agree with you there; the instructions to the recruiting staff this year seem to have been to load up for next year to give Brady Rawlings something to work with, and then you can do what you like with what's left in the 2019 draft. But it still doesn't explain to me how we can overlook an All Australian small forward (Elijah Taylor), who clearly fills a need, in favour of a boy (Perez) who hasn't played for two years. Hopefully Flynn brains it, but as an objective management decision, it borders on inexplicable
I think it is changing despite the Taylor example you use. The now (thankfully) former recruiting group under Scott were too risk averse. We tended to overlook the flashy types, guys with high ceilings but apparent flaws, for the safer types who were well rounded without elite traits. It's very evident in the types of older guys we have on our list. That seems to be changing now with a greater emphasis being placed on talent - Comben, Perez, Taylor and TT all have that feel to them. As much as hardness is important, in the end It's talent that separates the best teams from the rest. It's a lesson 20 years in the making for us.

Elijah Taylor isn’t a small forward, he’s like 189cm or something. Basically the exact same player as Curtis Taylor, Hosie, Thomas (the forward) and Garner, ie not what we need.
I beg your pardon, quite right.....and thus a bit like....ummm Flynn Perez, only with some demonstrated performance, like recognition as an All-Australian. Putting that debate to one side, we could have taken Jay Rantall, ranked 27 by Champion Data, and winner of the 2km time trial at the draft testing....or Trent Bianco, taken at 45 but ranked 26 by Champion Data.

The point is, regardless of individuals (will walker looked alright until he got injured, McKay might come good, etc etc), we have a recruiting culture of trying to pick from left field with good quality picks (20-40) without seemingly any strong evidence. I remember as far back as Sam Wright, his selection was justified on the basis that he hadn't been in an elite program, so there was so much upside when he got into one. He was taken (I think) at 27; Dan Hannebery, who was a proven and well-known elite runner in his draft year, was taken at 30 - by Sydney, coincidentally. Hopefully history doesn't repeat

Last edited:
Scamper Meows:
baldrick-cunning-plan-gif.gif
shouldnt that be a "cunnington plan"?

Perez was highly rated before his injury though and looks to have talent and a good work ethic. I'll reserve judgement until we see him out there playing. We're crying out for some elite use from the half back line and that is exactly the role Perez performed as a junior.

Yeah is also dual sided footballer, funny how people bemoan our lack of skill and still bemoan it when we actually start to rectify it. Perez will be an great footballer and "would have gone first rd without any doubt had he not missed the entire season. "

Hosie/Mahony will play the small fwd role, both more than capable, "Hoise is a very good reader of the play and knows where to position himself".

back on Perez, I'll say it now- will be an out and out gun, I'm on board, he's attitude is first class, has asked what extra work he should do to fast track him into the side.

There's going to be plenty of rival club supporters pissed off that their clubs over looked him. Have another look at below clip. He's the near perfect specimen for this game, has pace, good mark, good skills, puts it all on the line and will be very strong soon enough.

2019 draft will be one we look back on fondly.

Is that really true? We could have had Pickett with our first pick but we traded it to Melbourne. In the end, we don't value them so we don't pick them.
It's not just the lack of small forwards, it's the obsession with picking 6"1 - 6"2 big bodied mids - "he's a good size" so many say these days. A good size for what? Because many of our best mids and the best mids who've played the game have been more like 5"11 and 80kg. Not 6"2 and 88kg.

Not sure how you can be critical of the drafting of Walker. He was looking good until injured. McKay was always in draft calculations.

Let's see how Perez goes before we write it off as a mistake.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Walker will be a very good footballer for us, it was the go home factor that stopped us drafting Kelly, I don't necessarily agree with that though, but that was our reason.

I don't think McKay is any good, hasn't the required drive to succeed bit like Durds.

Walker will be a very good footballer for us, it was the go home factor that stopped us drafting Kelly, I don't necessarily agree with that though, but that was our reason.

I don't think McKay is any good, hasn't the required drive to succeed bit like Durds.

Sadly you are probably right....as a club can we be more effective in assessing that about a player pre draft?

Yeah is also dual sided footballer, funny how people bemoan our lack of skill and still bemoan it when we actually start to rectify it. Perez will be an great footballer and "would have gone first rd without any doubt had he not missed the entire season. "

Hosie/Mahony will play the small fwd role, both more than capable, "Hoise is a very good reader of the play and knows where to position himself".

back on Perez, I'll say it now- will be an out and out gun, I'm on board, he's attitude is first class, has asked what extra work he should do to fast track him into the side.

There's going to be plenty of rival club supporters pissed off that their clubs over looked him. Have another look at below clip. He's the near perfect specimen for this game, has pace, good mark, good skills, puts it all on the line and will be very strong soon enough.

It’s hard not to get a little excited by Perez even off the brief vision. What you’ve told us adds to it. Hopefully he gets some VFL action before too long.

As for what he needs to do to fast track into the side...he’s actually getting a leg up by the blokes currently in the team.

"Hoise is a very good reader of the play and knows where to position himself".

This is spot on about Hosie. He drops into space, leads to opportunity and looks organised. Pretty reasonable set shot too from what I've seen.

On Walker, any mail on where we we him fitting in long term? Forward, wing, mid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Sam Flanders would of been a good get at North’s 1st pick. If the 2020 draft is good. Wouldn’t be opposed to trading 2021 pick 1st for anther 2020 1st pick. Reckon there will be a big list turn over this year.

Suspect there was no-one more disappointed than the man himself that he could have gotten to North's pick if they still had it.

It's not just the lack of small forwards, it's the obsession with picking 6"1 - 6"2 big bodied mids - "he's a good size" so many say these days. A good size for what? Because many of our best mids and the best mids who've played the game have been more like 5"11 and 80kg. Not 6"2 and 88kg.

I was surprised we didn't pick Spargo with our 2nd pick of his draft year. Being 173cm probably didn't meet the size criteria also . As has been mentioned, too early to make a call on Will Walker, but you're right on the usual preference call.

I loved that quarter!!

I was so disappointed that day. Great potential with a point of difference.
It was actually 2 minutes short of a half. Running with one of the leagues best midfielders and did pretty damn good. Enough for anyone with a bit of knowledge about footy to see there's a lot to work with.

This.

I am extremely bullish on all three of our 2019 draft picks. When I watched the video of Flynn Perez he looked exactly the sort of player we need. Comben looks like he will be a superstar mobile marking forward. Mahoney has more football smarts already than probably two-thirds of our list.

I think our class of 2018 is looking great as well wit TT shaping up as an elite AFL footballer and Scott, Taylor, and Crocker all showing strong potential.

Throw in the likes of LDU, Larkey, Zurhaar, and Simpkin and I think our under 23 group is as good as anyone's. I think that says our recruiting has been pretty damn good for the last four or five years.

The five years prior to that seem to be much more problematic.

I am extremely bullish on all three of our 2019 draft picks. When I watched the video of Flynn Perez he looked exactly the sort of player we need. Comben looks like he will be a superstar mobile marking forward. Mahoney has more football smarts already than probably two-thirds of our list.

I think our class of 2018 is looking great as well wit TT shaping up as an elite AFL footballer and Scott, Taylor, and Crocker all showing strong potential.

Throw in the likes of LDU, Larkey, Zurhaar, and Simpkin and I think our under 23 group is as good as anyone's. I think that says our recruiting has been pretty damn good for the last four or five years.
You'd like to think so, but I'd probably go with main board line of thinking here... ie everyone thinks their kids have as much or more upside than everyone else. Let's see if they do or not.

You'd like to think so, but I'd probably go with main board line of thinking here... ie everyone thinks their kids have as much or more upside than everyone else. Let's see if they do or not.

That's probably fair but I am comfortable discussing our group and defending them. Our 23 to 28 brigade I wouldn't go into bat for in the pub debate.

You're correct, at least I like our line of thinking when it comes to drafting these kids. We've a strategy in place.

Our drafting has been deplorable.

Our 2015 draft picks were a big fail. Our only player still on the list is McKay.

Our 2014 wasn’t much better and reaching for NIELSON at 25 was the laughing stock pick of the draft. He was expected to go Rookie or late in the draft at best.

We reached for a HF in WALKER at 23 when he wasn’t even on the radar of most clubs while Geelong pick up Kelly at 24.

An interview I heard some 12 months ago with a Richmond scout was that outside of the first round or key position picks they are looking for small to medium players that either have speed or are as tough as nails with above average foot skills.

Our policy seems to be the complete opposite. THOMAS was gifted to us as an academy pick and JY had a serious injury at TAC level which allowed him to slip to our pick.

We need a massive clean out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes our previous recruiting team had zero idea and loved taking a slider - ie atley, wood and durdin as examples.
Hopefully Shaw read the riot act to all players when he took over and said he’ll give them a year to prove themselves.
We need a clean out big time.

Massive call I know, but he’s got a touch of the Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back