Game Day Practice Match | North Melbourne v Melbourne | Feb 28th 1.10pm @Arden St. [Live on nmfc.com.au]

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Yeah is also dual sided footballer, funny how people bemoan our lack of skill and still bemoan it when we actually start to rectify it. Perez will be an great footballer and "would have gone first rd without any doubt had he not missed the entire season. "

Hosie/Mahony will play the small fwd role, both more than capable, "Hoise is a very good reader of the play and knows where to position himself".

back on Perez, I'll say it now- will be an out and out gun, I'm on board, he's attitude is first class, has asked what extra work he should do to fast track him into the side.

There's going to be plenty of rival club supporters pissed off that their clubs over looked him. Have another look at below clip. He's the near perfect specimen for this game, has pace, good mark, good skills, puts it all on the line and will be very strong soon enough.

2019 draft will be one we look back on fondly.
Gotta admit when i seen the draft vid of Perez I thought, look out we’ve got a live one here.

Probably the best highlight vid of any draft prospect we’ve had, good size, hard at it, speed, smooth moving and can use both sides of his body - by hand & foot.

He reminds me of a young Bont, fingers crossed he fully recovers from the knee and he turns out to be just as good..

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not just the lack of small forwards, it's the obsession with picking 6"1 - 6"2 big bodied mids - "he's a good size" so many say these days. A good size for what? Because many of our best mids and the best mids who've played the game have been more like 5"11 and 80kg. Not 6"2 and 88kg.
Its the modern game. Need size and power to win contested ball and break free from congestion. Cunnington is 6"1 and 88 kg and he looks like a midget compared to Fyfe et al

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with you there; the instructions to the recruiting staff this year seem to have been to load up for next year to give Brady Rawlings something to work with, and then you can do what you like with what's left in the 2019 draft. But it still doesn't explain to me how we can overlook an All Australian small forward (Elijah Taylor), who clearly fills a need, in favour of a boy (Perez) who hasn't played for two years. Hopefully Flynn brains it, but as an objective management decision, it borders on inexplicable
Small forward is a problem area that's for sure but an equally pressing need is outside class off half back and Perez has been drafted with that in mind I suspect. Taylor, Hosie and Mahoney can hopefully go some way towards addressing our dearth of small forwards

Massive call I know, but he’s got a touch of the Bont.
Hosie? Bont's got more class in his little finger. Hosie strikes me as a bigger Papley type, or a more offensively-minded Turner. Hustle and bustle, balance of pressure and offensive smarts. In style if not quality, more a Jaidyn Stephenson or Jamie Elliott type.

Hosie? Bont's got more class in his little finger. Hosie strikes me as a bigger Papley type, or a more offensively-minded Turner. Hustle and bustle, balance of pressure and offensive smarts. In style if not quality, more a Jaidyn Stephenson or Jamie Elliott type.
Pretty sure he's referring to Perez.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty sure he's referring to Perez.
Yup....100% referring to Bont.....purely on the way he picks up the ball, changes direction slightly, then looks for an option.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Righto. I did say "touch of the Bont"

You did mate.

I'm just jaded from a lifetime of speculative calls on our young players post the 90s that ended up looking insane.

Daniel Wells as Peter Matera was about the only one that landed anywhere near reality. Except for the bit where he plays in any premierships for us.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Holy crap balls.

After nearly 20 years of hanging out in this joint I thought some half-decent common sense would be a constant around these parts but its deteriorating quicker than peoples memories..

After a couple of ordinary preseason games with 70% of our best locks out and our coaches giving 1st & 2nd year players a sniff, some of the depressing comments on here just has me laughing out loud.

I’m old and even I remember only 6 months ago this club winning 8 of its last 12 games which included big wins over top sides Collingwood and Richmond (didn’t that side that win the flag?..) and the absolute obliteration of our annual nemesis Port.

We haven’t lost hunger from last year, we haven’t lost our ability from last year, our coach hasn’t suddenly got dumber from last year, we just haven’t had the cattle on the park yet like last year.

Cool ya jets family and lets wait for the real stuff..
Well we haven't been any good since you joined so maybe head over and join the Richmond board too and every other team for that matter.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you speaking in 3rd person?
You'll be pleased to know I've just completed a two week re-education program under the guidance of Flinders and Southern. Parliament and the then Museum were also lectured in 1981 and 1983 respectively for their supposed lack of humility whereas the obedient Flagstaff (some would say spiritless) toed the line. I pointed out to Flinders and Southern that it was easy for them to say with their history and prime locations. New stations need publicity and if that meant third person references, so be it. Anzac, Parkville and even Town Hall and State Library quietly agreed - the latter two as they try to forge their own identity. So watch this space!!

alternator

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From our perspective this match was....................appalling.

If it doesn't serve to con the opposition, then I don't see any point in why we had it.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
From our perspective this match was....................appalling.

If it doesn't serve to con the opposition, then I don't see any point in why we had it.

Sunny side up view is that Rhyce may have been too close to the action during preseason to spot the possible cracks.

At lest now his troops have well and truly shown him their performance and gameplan inadequacies during the dead rubbers.

If we'd cantered over the dogs and dees the level of delusion might've got dangerous.

alternator

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sunny side up view is that Rhyce may have been too close to the action during preseason to spot the possible cracks.

At lest now his troops have well and truly shown him their performance and gameplan inadequacies during the dead rubbers.

If we'd cantered over the dogs and dees the level of delusion might've got dangerous.

I just don't want to see us toss away four rounds of football again, before corrections are employed, then we go on to finish a game or two outside of the finals. Again.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I just don't want to see us toss away four rounds of football again, before corrections are employed, then we go on to finish a game or two outside of the finals. Again.

No argument here.

I'm just recalibrating myself to remember that Rhyce hits Round 1 as a first time coach.

It'd be unfair to hold his caretaking stint during a fairly undermanned (as a club) period against him as if he was more experienced than he is.

In Round 1 2020 he starts from "GO". From then on we'll start getting a real idea of how he handles being the senior coach.

You did mate.

I'm just jaded from a lifetime of speculative calls on our young players post the 90s that ended up looking insane.

Daniel Wells as Peter Matera was about the only one that landed anywhere near reality. Except for the bit where he plays in any premierships for us.
Mate, don't forget we still have a "Chris Judd" second coming playing for us wearing number 18 ;)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Mate, don't forget we still have a "Chris Judd" second coming playing for us wearing number 18 ;)

Makes sense. Other memorable stars (sadly none of these are made up):

Dylan Smith - "modern day Ben Cousins"
David Trotter "next James Hird"
Ash Watson "Brent Harvey aerobic capacity"
Rod Crowe "next Glenn Archer"
Eddie Sansbury "kicked 5 on.." .. you know the rest
Mitch Wilkins "picked him right before Geelong swooped, Bassett coached and said he's going to be a star"
Mitch Hibberd "next Bontompelli"

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
You are absolutely correct , and my initial intention wasn’t to single out Will, but rather, highlight the previous recruitment department’s obsession with speculative picks in recent years.
They appear to get too cute with selections
Guys that didn’t even feature in the plethora of phantom / mock drafts
J Williams , Neilson, Watson etc that we burnt decent draft picks on , who would’ve been available much later if we had that much of a hard on for them
On draft night I’m sure most of us were shocked/ surprised when Will’s name was read out , but of course I hope the kid has a great career and in years is discusssed as a bargain pick up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mitch Wilkins!!!! only played school boys footy in SA, no exposed form, he'd get blown over in a light breeze, yet we took him top 50.

Makes sense. Other memorable stars (sadly none of these are made up):

Dylan Smith - "modern day Ben Cousins"
David Trotter "next James Hird"
Ash Watson "Brent Harvey aerobic capacity"
Rod Crowe "next Glenn Archer"
Eddie Sansbury "kicked 5 on.." .. you know the rest
Mitch Wilkins "picked him right before Geelong swooped, Bassett coached and said he's going to be a star"
Mitch Hibberd "next Bontompelli"
I recall Dylan Smith being a like for like Peter Bell replacement.

Back