News Practice Match v Collingwood Thursday 20th Feb 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If that is the case why is it necessary to have a cumulative total of likes below the posts tally in each poster's profile? It appeals to the narcisist in us all

Maybe admin thought it would inspire better content, more thoughtful debate.

I appreciate if someone likes what I am saying or the way I have said it as a general acknowlegment, but I have no idea what my tally is and couldn't care less.

I do wonder why people get hung up on the existence of the like tally though. It kind of feels like interstate team supporters bringing up that it's not fair that Victorian teams get to count VFL flags together with AFL flags. It seems a little insecure.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The like tally, on the whole, doesn't mean much. Thoughtful content can generate hardly any reactions, while inane jokes can rack them up. Still, sometimes those inane jokes are just what this place needs to break up the Serious Business(TM), so keep em coming ferris.

I'll be honest though - I predominantly use the like counts to judge whether Macca43 or I have won an exchange ;)

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t quite get what you are trying to say.

Are you trying to put on public record you aren’t a narcissist because you are oblivious to your ‘like’ tally?

Or are you putting forward the argument that the ‘like‘ tally will inspire people to improve the quality of their contributions? Btw who are these posters that need to be publicly stroked?

Or are you dismissing those who view it as cringeworthy like me as your typical insecure type?

Are you trying to put on public record you aren’t a narcissist because you are oblivious to your ‘like’ tally?

Or are you putting forward the argument that the ‘like‘ tally will inspire people to improve the quality of their contributions? Btw who are these posters that need to be publicly stroked?

Or are you dismissing those who view it as cringeworthy like me as your typical insecure type?

I'm saying that you are reading far too much into something that doesn't matter much at all.

Some don't care about a like tally. Some do. Some care about those who care.

It is obviously different for everyone.

And yes ... It's mere existence doesn't mean it's going to appeal to the narcissist in everybody.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Realise this is posed to ODN, but I'll respond anyway.

Reckon the reality is that there's a bit of everything at play.

Some people get a sense of pride/worth/validation out of having a high like tally. In some ways, I'm one. It won't stop me posting something that won't get likes, but I'd like to think that a strong like : post ratio indicates that there are enough people here that value my contributions that it's worth getting distracted from actually doing my job at times...

That's not to say that everyone who gets the likes is such a person, some people are just naturally knowledgeable or insightful or funny, or are able to provide exclusive content (photos, videos, rumours), and the likes come as a result. No doubt some of these people also fall into the first category, and explains why they are the way they are.

Those doing it "for the likes" shouldn't be judged for that, just judge their content and leave the motivations aside. Unless we're talking about Brett Temple or his ilk, who plagiarise and outright bullshit to build their own profile, they can piss right orf.

Then there's people who don't like the likes and think they're detrimental to the experience because they can promote competitiveness, or forced brevity, or whatever. See Brett Temple example. These people aren't wrong, though I think this forum avoid the issue pretty well care of the work of the mods and the (maybe sometimes overzealous) self-policing the community does.

Then you've got folks who don't like to use the likes because they don't feel it adds or detracts from the experience, and view it as irrelevant fluff.

Don't think any of these groups are exclusive - there's overlap all around.

Personally - the likes don't bother me, I like getting them but I'll survive if I don't, though I do feel that they encourage me to try and add content to the platform that people will see value in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Whilst we love to dream about what the future may hold for our youngsters I think #19 in the forward pocket may dictate how our season pans out.

Watching him create space, direct traffic and zip around our front half on Thursday was incredible and showed me the key ingredient that we've been missing. I know its only a practice match but we looked so much more potent with a dangerous small forward. He'll attract a fair amount of attention and allow the other pieces to fall into place.

Add into the mix Martin, Gibbons and DC and I think we'll have an exciting small set up which is capable of kicking a winning score and more importantly allow the bigs time to recover and not be rushed back.

What I did learn from Thursday is we'll line up with a slightly more mature team come round one which will allow the likes of Dow & O'Brien the opportunity to develop in the VFL til they're ready.

I think we are in serious need for the AFL season to start in earnest.

Makes a change from previous years when we were in serious need for for the AFL season to end....

Makes a change from previous years when we were in serious need for for the AFL season to end....

It was a vicious cycle we were stuck in, hoping that the new season would be better then looking towards the end of the season again not long into a new season.

The second half of last season was different, I really didn't want it to end when it did, for once I'm looking forward to a new season in terms of continuous improvement rather than to erase the memory of the previous season.

Tim H

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a vicious cycle we were stuck in, hoping that the new season would be better then looking towards the end of the season again not long into a new season.

The second half of last season was different, I really didn't want it to end when it did, for once I'm looking forward to a new season in terms of continuous improvement rather than to erase the memory of the previous season.
I was going to click the like button but I'm worried people will read too much into it.:huh:

spry

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't need to look back, i never do

IMG_4872.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

no-one does it for the likes - whatever 'it' is - but they are there to be used when people are in agreement - posters who regularly write paragraph after paragraph on basically the same subject, day after day, week after week somehow thinking this makes them more important here than those who don't, are probably in need of some sort of therapy and ongoing self-validation - I reckon the real point of the "like" argument is that we all "like" to be agreed with and when that little flag goes up, the tiny frisson of delight ensures we keep coming back to the deep, dark, well of dispute............then there's carlton.......

Back