2nds Practice Match v Essendon, March 29 @ Melbourne Airport

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the ground was pretty good. Awesome surface.
For once a good quality contest to watch. Played very much like an AFL game in style by both teams.
Agree with the bests given except Helbig, thought he was OK but not in the bests

Helbig - played hb mainly, some time in the middle but not much. Was OK.
Williams - I think he went off at half time. Was struggling in the first half form wise
Stephenson - very good in the ruck and around the ground. Went off at 3/4 time.
Elton - swingman in the first 3 quarters, ruck in the last when Stephenson went off. As last week, kicking is a worry
McBean - back to the form of last year. Useless overhead as he still gets pushed around but when the ball is on the ground very dangerous. The goal he kicked in the last where he tapped the bouncing ball over his opponents head while changing directions at the same time and then running into an open goal from 40 out was sublime. Had some ruck time and was more competitive than he has been previously
Lloyd - unbelievably dangerous one out, fantastic at reading the ball off a pack. Defensive pressure is OK but probably needs to improve. Would be close I think.
Gordon - wing/hb. Very good for two and a half quarters until he went off for a head clash. Came back but not as good, but still OK.
Knights - good early but went off injured:(
Lennon - hb. OK for two and a half quarters until he also went off with a leg injury and didn't return:(
Banfield - hb. Provided some dash but made some errors. Surely playing hb is just a part of his development??
O'Hanlon - hf/wing. If you wanted someone kicking for goal after the siren in a grand final I would take this guy. His kicking around the ground though was s**t.
Jackson - played a little everywhere. Was tagging Dempsey for quite a while. Is very close to a call up
Miles - on ball was very good all day mainly in and under. Got plenty of free kicks for in the back/too high. Showed more of his preseason form
Batchelor -played deep defense mainly on Winderlich with which he had a good battle. Had a couple of "Rance " moments
Mcdonough - was great off half back with some inspirational individual efforts in tight situations. Provided plenty of run off half back and his kicking was generally very good

VFL players - much much better this week. In fact I thought the midfielders in Mcqualter, whoever 75 was, Gleeson and Young were the reason we were so dominant in the 3rd quarter.
Waite and Barlow did very well as KPD's. Apart from Batchelor we had no other listed players in these roles.
Batsanis was fantastic on a wing/midfield.

Darrou, Edwards and Arnot didn't play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For once a good quality contest to watch. Played very much like an AFL game in style by both teams.
Agree with the bests given except Helbig, thought he was OK but not in the bests

Williams - I think he went off at half time. Was struggling in the first half form wise
Elton - swingman in the first 3 quarters, ruck in the last when Stephenson went off. As last week, kicking is a worry
McBean - back to the form of last year. Useless overhead as he still gets pushed around but when the ball is on the ground very dangerous. The goal he kicked in the last where he tapped the bouncing ball over his opponents head while changing directions at the same time and then running into an open goal from 40 out was sublime. Had some ruck time and was more competitive than he has been previously
Lloyd - unbelievably dangerous one out, fantastic at reading the ball off a pack. Defensive pressure is OK but probably needs to improve. Would be close I think.
Gordon - wing/hb. Very good for two and a half quarters until he went off for a head clash. Came back but not as good, but still OK.
Lennon - hb. OK for two and a half quarters until he also went off with a leg injury and didn't return:(
Banfield - hb. Provided some dash but made some errors. Surely playing hb is just a part of his development??
O'Hanlon - hf/wing. If you wanted someone kicking for goal after the siren in a grand final I would take this guy. His kicking around the ground though was s**t.
Jackson - played a little everywhere. Was tagging Dempsey for quite a while. Is very close to a call up
Miles - on ball was very good all day mainly in and under. Got plenty of free kicks for in the back/too high. Showed more of his preseason form
Batchelor -played deep defense mainly on Winderlich with which he had a good battle. Had a couple of "Rance " moments
Mcdonough - was great off half back with some inspirational individual efforts in tight situations. Provided plenty of run off half back and his kicking was generally very good

VFL players - much much better this week. In fact I thought the midfielders in Mcqualter, whoever 75 was, Gleeson and Young were the reason we were so dominant in the 3rd quarter.
Waite and Barlow did very well as KPD's. Apart from Batchelor we had no other listed players in these roles.

The ground surface was excellent for pkayers no seats no shade no scoreboard whre were the toilets abd cafe

Dont laugh. Gordon and Lloyd will be back at HB next week too most likely.

Edit: oh Gordon was already back there. Cool.

We must have the biggest HB line the world, Gordon, McDonough, Helbig, Bachelor, Banfield and Lennon ;)

I get people complaining about Martin play there as he is past the learning stage of his career and is top 3 forward mids in the comp. But everyone else playing across there it makes so much sense. It teaches defensive skills most top draftees don't have because they dominate in juniors, its the easiest place to play on the ground as your often involved and just watch the play unfold instead of trying to make the play.

In the long run it creates flexibility in your players and many many players have come from juniors dominating as a forward to become class mids and HBF.

Edwards did play, came off early though with an injury. maybe calf

The player that stood out for me the most was Lloyd. He is a very smart footballer. Has great crumbing ability and I reckon could be the answer to that small forward role. There was one snap in particular that was just class.

I thought Mcdonough was very good too - I can kind of see the hype now. Not afraid to get it either.

Elton was taking strong marks and was a real presence but his kicking was a worry. Needs to work on it.

A lot of other positives as well as mostly SumTingWong mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back