Practice Match vs Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a 194cm man I am insulted that you think us folk so immobile
Sitting here daydreaming, hmmm...(que the harp)

*Walking down the street with old mate Wacko23Jacko*

Me- yo Wack, we got to turn this corner up ahead.
Wack- I comply.
Me- well... Start turning dude you're walking me off the footpath.
Wack- I comply.
Me-turn you giant 194cm pr*ck!! I'm getting shoved into the bushes over here!
Wack- I comply.
*moments later*
Me- *scratched and lacerated* FFS Wacko. FFS.
Wack- hello.

Prestia - played 3/4 and was a little rusty as you'd expect playing first game for the year, showed no ill effects and will be better for the run.
Hampson - hard to tell if he was rusty or if it was a normal Hampson performance. Missed marks you'd expect a 200+cm tall to take, spent no time in the ruck from memory
Miles - as per normal got plenty of the footy and should have finished with 4 goals. I've mentioned before that I'd like to see Miles possessions be more damaging and today they were as he pushed the ball forward to set up play.
Lloyd - solid hitout from him. Didn't dominate, but got his fair share of the ball and spent more time in the middle than up forward. Would need to do more to dislodge others from the 22.
Higgins - at the risk of sounding like a spoil sport, Higgins' game needs to be taken with a grain of salt. While he did get plenty he was playing on fresh air in the first quarter and then spent most of the next 3 quarters stationed up forward with spurts in the middle. If he does get picked don't expect him to be racking up 20+ disposals as he looked to run out of gas at times.
Markov - played HB and gives the side a nice 1-2 punch with Menadue on the other flank. Showed plenty of dash when rebounding from D50 and made good choices when hitting up teammates.
Broad - started the game on the wing and did well. Was much better when he went to the back line in the second half. Attacked the ball and the man well and ball use was the best I've seen from him. Will be straight back in come round 4.
Moore - Took some very good grabs and presented up well when we needed a get out option. Based on that performance couldn't pick him for AFL.
Menadue - as mentioned with Markov he gives us a good 1-2 punch rebounding the ball out of D50. Set up plenty of fast break opportunities by tucking the ball under his arm and taking off. Would be a handy addition to the 22 if we're looking for more run.
Balta - at times over committed to the contest or took on more than he should, but at other times he was very solid alternating between CHB and FB taking some good contested grabs.
Drummond - first game in nearly a year after a second reco so expected to be rusty and lacking a bit of feel for the game. Better for the run and will only improve.
Chol - much improved overall performance. Played KPF and second ruck and did well in both roles. Still misreads the flight at times and runs himself under the ball, but when he got it right took strong grabs, if we were looking at playing another tall to support Nank and Jack, Chol would be the one I'd pick.
Garthwaite - solid negating role down back, very Astbury like in that he got the job done with a minimum of fuss. In partnership with Balta they are a good combination.
Smith - looks much different to last year. Seemed to have slimmed down and added a bit of speed to his game. Ball use was also better than previously.
Stengle - like Bolton in the AFL he looked dangerous at times, but didn't have a major impact on the game.
Soldo - played first ruck and was quite good. Won plenty of hitouts and got a few disposals. Wasn't afraid to fly the flag for team mates when they were roughed up. Was sitting near a couple of scouts from Box Hill and Williamstown VFL who said that he will be a good player in a couple years.

Miller and Baker were not wearing their usual jumpers from what I could tell. Miller looked ok albeit quite raw down back, while Baker rotated through the middle and did some nice things.

Based on todays game and Caddys possible suspension I would go with:
Out - Conca Bolton Caddy
In - Menadue Prestia Vlastuin

Prestia - played 3/4 and was a little rusty as you'd expect playing first game for the year, showed no ill effects and will be better for the run.
Hampson - hard to tell if he was rusty or if it was a normal Hampson performance. Missed marks you'd expect a 200+cm tall to take, spent no time in the ruck from memory
Miles - as per normal got plenty of the footy and should have finished with 4 goals. I've mentioned before that I'd like to see Miles possessions be more damaging and today they were as he pushed the ball forward to set up play.
Lloyd - solid hitout from him. Didn't dominate, but got his fair share of the ball and spent more time in the middle than up forward. Would need to do more to dislodge others from the 22.
Higgins - at the risk of sounding like a spoil sport, Higgins' game needs to be taken with a grain of salt. While he did get plenty he was playing on fresh air in the first quarter and then spent most of the next 3 quarters stationed up forward with spurts in the middle. If he does get picked don't expect him to be racking up 20+ disposals as he looked to run out of gas at times.
Markov - played HB and gives the side a nice 1-2 punch with Menadue on the other flank. Showed plenty of dash when rebounding from D50 and made good choices when hitting up teammates.
Broad - started the game on the wing and did well. Was much better when he went to the back line in the second half. Attacked the ball and the man well and ball use was the best I've seen from him. Will be straight back in come round 4.
Moore - Took some very good grabs and presented up well when we needed a get out option. Based on that performance couldn't pick him for AFL.
Menadue - as mentioned with Markov he gives us a good 1-2 punch rebounding the ball out of D50. Set up plenty of fast break opportunities by tucking the ball under his arm and taking off. Would be a handy addition to the 22 if we're looking for more run.
Balta - at times over committed to the contest or took on more than he should, but at other times he was very solid alternating between CHB and FB taking some good contested grabs.
Drummond - first game in nearly a year after a second reco so expected to be rusty and lacking a bit of feel for the game. Better for the run and will only improve.
Chol - much improved overall performance. Played KPF and second ruck and did well in both roles. Still misreads the flight at times and runs himself under the ball, but when he got it right took strong grabs, if we were looking at playing another tall to support Nank and Jack, Chol would be the one I'd pick.
Garthwaite - solid negating role down back, very Astbury like in that he got the job done with a minimum of fuss. In partnership with Balta they are a good combination.
Smith - looks much different to last year. Seemed to have slimmed down and added a bit of speed to his game. Ball use was also better than previously.
Stengle - like Bolton in the AFL he looked dangerous at times, but didn't have a major impact on the game.
Soldo - played first ruck and was quite good. Won plenty of hitouts and got a few disposals. Wasn't afraid to fly the flag for team mates when they were roughed up. Was sitting near a couple of scouts from Box Hill and Williamstown VFL who said that he will be a good player in a couple years.

Miller and Baker were not wearing their usual jumpers from what I could tell. Miller looked ok albeit quite raw down back, while Baker rotated through the middle and did some nice things.

Out - Conca Bolton Caddy

With those ins, where would you like to see CEllis play if he holds his spot? (I don’t think he will)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out - Conca Bolton Caddy
Thanks rt!

Sitting here daydreaming, hmmm...(que the harp)

*Walking down the street with old mate Wacko23Jacko*

Me- yo Wack, we got to turn this corner up ahead.
Wack- I comply.
Me- well... Start turning dude you're walking me off the footpath.
Wack- I comply.
Me-turn you giant 194cm pr*ck!! I'm getting shoved into the bushes over here!
Wack- I comply.
*moments later*
Me- *scratched and lacerated* FFS Wacko. FFS.
Wack- hello.

I deny all allegations!!!

With those ins, where would you like to see CEllis play if he holds his spot? (I don’t think he will)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HF rotating on ball

managed to get along to the game today. my two cents, for what it's worth:

balta - this kid will be special if developed right. just a super athlete with a lovely pair of hands. apart from one or two times, every marking contest he had was either halved or resulted in him clunking it. bit of dash to him as well. sometimes tried to do too much and turned it over, but you can see it's because he's trying to be aggressive which is great trait in a young bloke.

broad - looked very sharp. fit, strong, composed, good ball use, run, and competed well. had a ripping preseason apparently, and it was evident today.

wombo - really liked his game. couple of clever snaps, and some beautiful assists. very elusive too. on today, i'd say he'd be next in line for the small forward gig if bolton gets dropped. always had time and space, and just looked a class above

garth - does not lose contests. was a rock in defence

moore - think he deserves a senior opportunity. worked and competed real hard, whether it was leading up at the footy or in marking contests. jack needs some help, i feel, and perhaps he could be the man

jack (higgins, that is) - did some good things. not a dominant performance, but his smarts and work-rate are evident.

prestia - some nice touches here and there, and couple of good midfield tackles, which will be welcomed in the senior side. nothing too spectacular, but got through unscathed which is good

miles - typically industrious. good backup if needed.

menadue - had some quality touches. not a complete game, but i reckon he needs to come into the senior side soon - offers a lot more than c ellis or conca
Great summary
re Balta - is a natural talent but not sure he has the required work rate yet which is to be pretty much expected from a first year player (particularly kp) thought he got caught between a few contests, whether that's a work rate thing or not quite reading the game properly I'm not sure. But with another year under the tutelage of Truck and Leppa he will get to more contests

KPP are only getting a hold of us because we’ve been losing the contest in the midfield. We need to start winning the ball again and the rest will sort itself out.
I agree with that , as mentioned previous, we ve carried 4 mids that have barely touched it , won’t get away with that v good sides

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great summary
re Balta - is a natural talent but not sure he has the required work rate yet which is to be pretty much expected from a first year player (particularly kp) thought he got caught between a few contests, whether that's a work rate thing or not quite reading the game properly I'm not sure. But with another year under the tutelage of Truck and Leppa he will get to more contests

yeah i have similar thoughts, he's a little way off it yet.

that being said, i really reckon he could play senior footy later this year and have an impact. imagine him and the tross in full flight. i'm at half-mast already :D

Is that a record bc that is an absolute belting in anyone language
The worst I recall in recent years was Bulldogs vs Brisbane in 2016 I think. Bulldogs had 176-125 (+51), which is actually not that far off to Adelaide's 192-144 (+48). I didn't realise we came so close to that game.

At least it wasn't actually one like it was last year, but we definitely need to do something about our midfield.
We picked the wiring side to take on crows at AO. Reality is the game was still well and truly alive 10min into final Q . We ll tinker and get the trend line going in right direction , can’t wait for broady to return

Out - Conca Bolton Caddy

Cheers RT, great work.

We picked the wiring side to take on crows at AO. Reality is the game was still well and truly alive 10min into final Q . We ll tinker and get the trend line going in right direction , can’t wait for broady to return
Its amazing considering we had so little of the ball compared to them. Couldnt take a mark around the ground either.

Yeah it was and I was actually pretty alright with our performance until we blew it out to 36 points.

Oh boy do I want to see him back along with Vlastuin so that we can finally have our preferred 6 in defence again.

they wont play moore

they will keep playing lineup as close as possible to the grand final side
Agree.
Malthouse.Dunne.Stachan
Smith.Jess.Keane
Wood.Raines.Wiley
Welsh.Mount.kB
Bourke.Roach.Cloke.
Lee.Rowlings.Flea.

The worst I recall in recent years was Bulldogs vs Brisbane in 2016 I think. Bulldogs had 176-125 (+51), which is actually not that far off to Adelaide's 192-144 (+48). I didn't realise we came so close to that game.
And STILL drew within 10 points late in the last. Not excusing the loss - contested ball should be our game - but there’s still plenty there, and clearly still huge competition for spots. Doubt we’ll see many players have three straight poor games - 2 fails and it’s out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back