AFLW Practice Match vs Geelong Saturday 18 December, 2pm AEDT, Swinburne Centre

Great discussion in here. I'm yet to see the replay as yet but it doesn't seem like there's been a great leap forward.

Seems to me that there is still a huge lack of trust in the group and in a possession based game plan that the top teams play. That's why we have overcrowding around the footy and poor disposal going forward.

Just don't think we are a team that can cover the loss of good players.
Hosking, McKenzie and Cordner were fantastic last year and taking them out certainly gives us a circa 2020 look about us.

IMO you can't play better football missing key players and after not playing for 9 months compared to playing week after week so I'm not surprised we didn't show any great leap forward compared to last year.

I think there were still positives. Throw in Hosking, McKenzie, Shevlin, Lavey and Cordner to that side and add what we saw from Reid, King, Kiily and Yassir and we are a much better side than last year. The questions are who is available R1 and how much better will the other teams be?

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sure there's a team in the league who can cover the loss of keys players yet. The depth in the talent pool still isn't quite there yet, the gap between a teams top five and bottom five players is way more pronounced in the AFLW at the moment.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Molan is def not on the radar as a winger me thinks. Despite touted as a half back, would not surprise if Shevlin moved there. Looks a natural in that position to be honest. Tall but can cover the ground well. Kamdyn McIntosh type role. Hope she is fit for R1.

i'd be surprised if Lavey, Burchell, Dempsey, Reid aren't our wingers, have pace & all are tallish but can cover the ground well
would try Akec thru there as well, just to try something different with her
Shevlin is a lock for HB rebounding role with D’Arcy

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Must admit haven't managed to watch that 4th qtr yet. Haven't seen anyone comment on this so I wonder it's one of those incidents that you don't really bat a eyelid at live but AFL are jumping on with all the focus on concussions.

Darcy Moloney, Geelong Cats, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Maddy Brancatisano, Richmond, during the fourth quarter of the Pre-Season Practice Match between Richmond and the Geelong Cats, played at the Swinburne Centre on Saturday, December 18, 2021.

In summary, she can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

new AFL rules
"The potential to cause injury must be factored into the determination of Impact"

No way has it been factored into account with Moloney's tackle on Brancatisano.
And any doubt with regards to that being careless or intentional ought to have been clarified by the fact Moloney wanted to go on with it after the tackle.

Meagan Kiely was also lucky, not even picking up a reprimand after she ran past the ball to bump Georgie Prespakis which resulted in a head clash (an ultimately tame one, but again: "potential to cause injury must...").

i'd be surprised if Lavey, Burchell, Dempsey, Reid aren't our wingers, have pace & all are tallish but can cover the ground well
would try Akec thru there as well, just to try something different with her
Shevlin is a lock for HB rebounding role with D’Arcy

Dempsey was good last year so deserving of a spot on the wing R1. Bit of a surprise packet actually. Just has to be a bit cleaner.

Its the other wing that’s a bit of a toss up. Whoever it is needs to impact. Such a crucial position in AFLW.

Lavey is a good pick but it’s a pain that she won’t play every game.

Burchell I hope can step up. Just too in and out of games at present.

Reid is an unknown. Is half back, half forward more her go?

Akec plays like a wing. Again just needs to be cleaner. Her good and bad are pretty far apart at the moment. I do like what she MAY bring to the position though.

I agree Shevlin will line up at half back but I think we will go to her if no one will make that wing position their own.

new AFL rules
"The potential to cause injury must be factored into the determination of Impact"

And any doubt with regards to that being careless or intentional ought to have been clarified by the fact Moloney wanted to go on with it after the tackle.

Meagan Kiely was also lucky, not even picking up a reprimand after she ran past the ball to bump Georgie Prespakis which resulted in a head clash (an ultimately tame one, but again: "potential to cause injury must...").

Think we've seen that the AFL have been all over the shop in this area in the past so we shouldn't expect anything different going forward.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Dempsey was good last year so deserving of a spot on the wing R1. Bit of a surprise packet actually. Just has to be a bit cleaner.

Its the other wing that’s a bit of a toss up. Whoever it is needs to impact. Such a crucial position in AFLW.

Lavey is a good pick but it’s a pain that she won’t play every game.

Burchell I hope can step up. Just too in and out of games at present.

Reid is an unknown. Is half back, half forward more her go?

Akec plays like a wing. Again just needs to be cleaner. Her good and bad are pretty far apart at the moment. I do like what she MAY bring to the position though.

I agree Shevlin will line up at half back but I think we will go to her if no one will make that wing position their own.

good points TigermanM2

HFF seems like a hard position to play for a 1st year draftee, would love for Stella Reid to be given the outside player possie much like Ellie McKenzie did last year
Ellie played wing & floated fwd, only got put into the mid/centre square role last few games, which she did very well

Stella is tallish, great left foot kick, marks the ball, moves similar, heck she's almost a clone somewhat to Ellie
hope Reid's eased into that same role, Lavey & Reid starting wingers for me

our mantra has been to start attack from defense (AFL & AFLW), so i'm inclined to have Cordner 177cm, Miller 184cm as talls
& Shevlin 174cm, D’Arcy 171cm as interceptors & re-bounders

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
new AFL rules

AFL has used the 'rules that don't apply to Geesook' exemption again. It gets rolled out most weeks

Back