Game Day Practice match vs Saints at Arden St 25/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game day and Gasometer has dropped the bundle already!

After a season best forgotten a new dawn is upon us. While we may not be playing for points there’s a few blokes with something to prove and a new coach who I’m sure is starting with a clean slate.

It will be interesting to see how Ziebs goes down back, can Skinner do enough to earn a spot on the rookie list and how the three draftees go, but my main interest is how many of the BF brethren get evicted @Phillyroostyle from behind the bushes.

I will do my best to tune in from work while no one is watching but will appreciate those who can offer more insightful take-aways from a first hand. Let the Gif’s begin...

The squad

2. Jaidyn Stephenson
4. Aidan Corr
5. Curtis Taylor
7. Jack Ziebell
8. Bailey Scott
11. Luke McDonald
12. Jy Simpkin
17. Lachie Young
18. Shaun Atley
19. Josh Walker
20. Nick Larkey
21. Dom Tyson
23. Ben McKay
24. Tom Powell
25. Robbie Tarrant
26. Tarryn Thomas
28. Kayne Turner
31. Connor Menadue
35. Charlie Lazzaro
37. Kyron Hayden
40. Eddie Ford
42. Tom Campbell
43. Aaron Hall
44. Cameron Zurhaar
Not listed. Sam Skinner (training with NMFC)

St Kilda squad
1. Nick Coffield
5. Brad Crouch
6. Seb Ross
7. Luke Dunstan
8. Bradley Hill
9. Jack Steele
11. Hunter Clark
12. Max King
13. Jack Lonie
15. Jack Billings
16. Dan Butler
18. Paddy Ryder
20. Dougal Howard
21. Ben Long
22. Jack Higgins
23. Jack Bytel
24. James Frawley
26. Josh Battle
28. Tim Membrey
29. Jimmy Webster
32. Mason Wood
34. Tom Highmore
35. Jack Sinclair
36. Daniel McKenzie
41. Paul Hunter
44. Callum Wilkie

Mr Preseason Mason Wood to tear us a new one.

Where’s the weather report, ground location, pitch report, presiding umpires? What time are the boys arriving? Who’s got the head trainer role? Is Nathan Buckley and Co watching?

I need to know all this before I can watch a game of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Luke McDonald - Ben McKay - Aidan Corr
HB: Jack Ziebell - Robbie Tarrant - Lachie Young
C: Connor Menadue - Dom Tyson - Bailey Scott
HF: Jaidyn Stephenson - Josh Walker - Tarryn Thomas
F: Cameron Zurhaar - Nick Larkey - Curtis Taylor
R: Tom Campbell - Jy Simpkin - Aaron Hall
INT: Shaun Atley - Kyron Hayden - Charlie Lazzaro - Tom Powell - Kayne Turner - Eddie Ford

Strong backline, weak midfield, strong forward line.

Missing some decent players in Goldy, Cunners, Polec, Anderson, LDU and Dumont.

Keen to see how Hayden, Powell and Lazzaro go on ball, and how Ford fares against quality opposition. Looking forward to the rotation of Stephenson and Thomas through the middle. Fingers crossed Tyson doesn't pop a calf.

Hey folks, all the best for today. Hopefully it's a good hitout for both teams, with no injuries.

Crouch, Ross and Steele will probably bully us a bit today.
So who aside from Jy, Dom, and I'm guessing Hall are you expecting to go through the guts today?

Hey folks, all the best for today. Hopefully it's a good hitout for both teams, with no injuries.

So who aside from Jy, Dom, and I'm guessing Hall are you expecting to go through the guts today?
Hayden, Lazarro, Powell, Stephenson and maybe Thomas.

So yeah, its a pretty inexperienced midfield bunch without Goldy, Cunnington, Anderson, Dumont and even LDU.

Last edited:

Since Noble mentioned Kyron Hayden by name I wouldn't be surprised to see Jy, Dom and Kyron being the starting rotation. Stephenson, Lazarro and Powell will also likely go through as Swallow_Wood said.

Looks like your lot are putting out a pretty experienced side but that makes sense as you'd be aiming to contend this year and still have to settle in the new ring-ins like Crouch, Highmore and Higgins.

Since Noble mentioned Kyron Hayden by name I wouldn't be surprised to see Jy, Dom and Kyron being the starting rotation. Stephenson, Lazarro and Powell will also likely go through as Swallow_Wood said.

Looks like your lot are putting out a pretty experienced side but that makes sense as you'd be aiming to contend this year and still have to settle in the new ring-ins like Crouch, Highmore and Higgins.
Thanks for that. Will be a good opportunity for a few of the young guys in each side to get some good midfield minutes in.

Yeah looks like we've essentially gone best available for this game, with just our injured guys (Marshall, Hanners, Jones, Geary and Paton) missing from our best 22, plus Gresham (who didn't play the intra last week either, so not sure on his status).

Would have thought that Carlisle would be playing, but he was in the "B-side" last week and was on the outer at times last year, and Frawley has been named today, so it's looking quite likely that Frawley has been preferred, which is interesting.

Thanks for that. Will be a good opportunity for a few of the young guys in each side to get some good midfield minutes in.

Yeah looks like we've essentially gone best available for this game, with just our injured guys (Marshall, Hanners, Jones, Geary and Paton) missing from our best 22, plus Gresham (who didn't play the intra last week either, so not sure on his status).

Would have thought that Carlisle would be playing, but he was in the "B-side" last week and was on the outer at times last year, and Frawley has been named today, so it's looking quite likely that Frawley has been preferred, which is interesting.
Yeah, that is interesting. Carlisle slowing down? Never that quick to start with. His best role is probably interceptor and you might prefer Wilkie or Coffield in that role.

Hayden McKay Corr
McDonald Tarrant Ziebell

Stephenson Simpkin Scott
Campbell Hall Powell

Taylor Larkey Thomas
Turner Zurhaar Ford

Atley Lazaro Tyson Walker Skinner Menadue Young

Replace Hall with one of the Big Dogs and the middle doesn’t look toooooo bad. Defence is solid, and I’d imagine busy today. Forward line young.

Can Frawley and Carlisle co-exist on a weekly basis in the same backline?

Yeah, that is interesting. Carlisle slowing down? Never that quick to start with. His best role is probably interceptor and you might prefer Wilkie or Coffield in that role.
He had a decent amount of pace I thought for a guy his size when he first came to us, but he's had some pretty significant issues with his back in the last couple of years, so it might just be pretty stuffed.

If we do go with Frawley it presumably means Howard will push out to CHB and look to intercept more, and Highmore has reportedly been super-impressive over preseason and intercept marking is his specialty, then as you said there's Coffield and Wilkie, so Jake's days may be very numbered.

He had a decent amount of pace I thought for a guy his size when he first came to us, but he's had some pretty significant issues with his back in the last couple of years, so it might just be pretty stuffed.

If we do go with Frawley it presumably means Howard will push out to CHB and look to intercept more, and Highmore has reportedly been super-impressive over preseason and intercept marking is his specialty, then as you said there's Coffield and Wilkie, so Jake's days may be very numbered.
Maybe I'm thinking of his Essendon days. I feel like his lack of straightline speed stopped him from being a forward. Obviously reads the game that well to compensate.

Would be a boon if Highmore came on. Been a bit envious of your record with seconds players. Wilkie, Long, Hind etc. I like when the smaller guys with great skills can intercept. Cuts out the middleman as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back