News Practice Matches Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be good to see how we match up against Brisbane. Hopefully it is broadcast in some fashion.

Geelong almost had our measure last time we played them, with Scheer best on ground <--- although that Ponter intercept and running goal was pretty special.

Somehow we're playing a practice match at Adelaide Oval, but none of our main season matches there including any potential finals. Go figure?

Will be good to see how we match up against Brisbane. Hopefully it is broadcast in some fashion.
Unfortunately it’s the same bloody day as our men’s game at the Gabba. Won’t get anyone out there to it.

That's a damn big score for AFLW! Good signs going forward.

I'd love to see some stats or at least a list of the goalkickers.

Edit: Looks like it was five "quarters", which goes some way to explaining the high score. Still no list of goalkickers but from the Twitter account it seems like Jones got a couple, along with Gould and Ballard.

Last edited:
That's a damn big score for AFLW! Good signs going forward.

I'd love to see some stats or at least a list of the goalkickers.

Edit: Looks like it was five "quarters", which goes some way to explaining the high score. Still no list of goalkickers but from the Twitter account it seems like Jones got a couple, along with Gould and Ballard.
Always good to get a win against a strong team like Brisbane. Heard Gould will be playing more forward with Jess Allan returning. Wonder where that leaves McKinnon? We need a match report.

Always good to get a win against a strong team like Brisbane. Heard Gould will be playing more forward with Jess Allan returning. Wonder where that leaves McKinnon? We need a match report.

McKinnon has typically played as a second ruck who then drops back. But I'm not sure how that fits in with Prowse playing back there as well.

I guess we'll get to see during this weekend's practice match against Geelong.

Our side for Geelong

1. C.Gould 2. E.Jones 4. Z.Prowse 5. R. Martin 7. K.Kustermann 8. N. Allen 10. E.Marinoff 11. S.Goodwin 12. C.Biddell 13. K.Mueller 14 S.Thompson 15. D.Ponter 17. M.Newman 19. J.Waterhouse 21. M.McKinnon 23. N.Kelly 25. T.Charlton 26. C.Randall 27. A.Ballard 28. B.Tonon 31. Y.Bonner 32. J.Allan 33. A.Hatchard 39. S.Allan

24 players so looks like an extended bench scenario. Possible line-up?

B Prowse - S. Allan
HB Newman - Biddell - Goodwin

R J.Allan - Marinoff - Hatchard
C Kelly - Charlton - Thompson

HF Jones - Gould - Martin
F Bonner - Ponter

I Randall - Kustermann - Allen - Mueller - Waterhouse - McKinnon - Ballard - Tonon

(No idea whether Randall will play defense, forward or mid so I put her on the bench)

Not playing:
Ward, Varnhagen, Levy, Smith, Munyard, Whiteley, Dowrick (injured), Button (injured)

Our side for Geelong

1. C.Gould 2. E.Jones 4. Z.Prowse 5. R. Martin 7. K.Kustermann 8. N. Allen 10. E.Marinoff 11. S.Goodwin 12. C.Biddell 13. K.Mueller 14 S.Thompson 15. D.Ponter 17. M.Newman 19. J.Waterhouse 21. M.McKinnon 23. N.Kelly 25. T.Charlton 26. C.Randall 27. A.Ballard 28. B.Tonon 31. Y.Bonner 32. J.Allan 33. A.Hatchard 39. S.Allan

B Prowse - S. Allan

F Bonner - Ponter

I Randall - Kustermann - Allen - Mueller - Waterhouse - McKinnon - Ballard - Tonon

(No idea whether Randall will play defense, forward or mid so I put her on the bench)

Not playing:
Ward, Varnhagen, Levy, Smith, Munyard, Whiteley, Dowrick (injured), Button (injured)
Nice, glad to see Waterhouse named, think she can add some real x-factor to the forward line, thought we'd see more of her last year.

Our side for Geelong

B Prowse - S. Allan

F Bonner - Ponter

Not playing:
Munyard not making the 24 is the only surprise, looks to have dropped quite a few rungs down the ladder with Waterhouse, Kustermann and Tonon preferred over her.

Of the others missing the only ones I’d hope would maybe be seen throughout the year would be Levy or Smith but they realistically have little chance with a relatively full strength team available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Munyard not making the 24 is the only surprise, looks to have dropped quite a few rungs down the ladder with Waterhouse, Kustermann and Tonon preferred over her.

Of the others missing the only ones I’d hope would maybe be seen throughout the year would be Levy or Smith but they realistically have little chance with a relatively full strength team available.

Munyard was our only mid who looked decent up forward last season. Hopefully they've now taken the time to work out a better forward structure, and maybe Munyard doesn't fit up there anymore.

I don't think she fits in our midfield anymore.

Munyard was our only mid who looked decent up forward last season. Hopefully they've now taken the time to work out a better forward structure, and maybe Munyard doesn't fit up there anymore.

I don't think she fits in our midfield anymore.
Munyard is a weird player to gauge, struggled early on in her AFLW career to adjust to the pace from the SANFLW where as a youngster she had looked like she had very good pace and was a superb goal kicking winger but at AFLW level her skills looked rubbish because she would always be under pressure or tackled straight away when she got possession.

She like a couple of others probably a victim of having to spend the majority of their time either on the half-forward line or on the bench and then only on rare occasions given a spurt higher up the ground. Hasn’t ever really showed what she is capable of at AFLW level, big crossroads season for her. May have been better for her longer term footballing career to make that move to Port but even they looked stacked when it comes to HF/Wing runners now.

She can, but with Prowse already there it might be too many of a similar type.
Problem with McKinnon is she cannot kick, so not sure playing her forward is a good idea. She's not first ruck either, so she needs to find a position.

McKinnon's field kicking always seemed fine to me. It's just her goalkicking that is atrocious.
Set her up with Laird

Something about 2 wrongs make a right?

21-8 at quarter time.
  • Teah Charlton with 2 good goals. Playing wing, but around the contest around the ground and then pushing up forward.
  • Marinoff racking it up everywhere
  • Jess Allan and McKinnon shared the ruck load
  • Allan pushed forward; had an opportunity but dropped a mark
  • Hatchard taking lots of marks, but still has a terrible kick
  • Haven't seen much of Randall or Thompson
  • Gould is a great marking target for the kick outs and up forward
  • Simple turnovers keeping this game close
  • Niamh Kelly may have knocked herself out in a tackle
  • Bonner and Ponter looking dangerous up forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back