News Practice Matches Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Gould looking the goods up forward, she’s excellent below her knees for her height.

Ponter playing a lot through the centre, Bonner providing a different element up forward with her leading pattern, looking to hit up more targets looks like it’s been a huge focus. Jess Allan needs to work in her marking technique but her movement much improved looks like an extra mid. Prowse a little off as the main defender will need to improve her 1-on-1 defending if forced to play that role.

21-8 at quarter time.
  • Teah Charlton with 2 good goals. Playing wing, but around the contest around the ground and then pushing up forward.
  • Marinoff racking it up everywhere
  • Jess Allan and McKinnon shared the ruck load
  • Allan pushed forward; had an opportunity but dropped a mark
  • Hatchard taking lots of marks, but still has a terrible kick
  • Haven't seen much of Randall or Thompson
  • Gould is a great marking target for the kick outs and up forward
  • Simple turnovers keeping this game close
  • Niamh Kelly may have knocked herself out in a tackle
  • Bonner and Ponter looking dangerous up forward
Hatchard has totally forgot how to dispose of the ball.

- Ponter started at the centre bounce at the start of the second
-
Don't mind what I've seen of Bonner so far. Allan looking handy in the ruck. Goodwin looks ready to go.

Charlton the definite standout so far!
Surprised how good Bonner has been so far. Goodwin also looking comfortable down back.
Hatchard has totally forgot how to dispose of the ball.
I think sometimes she thinks she's faster/stronger than she really is. Her good moments have been when she's marked it and handpassed it off to a runner going past.

- Ponter started at the centre bounce at the start of the second
-

Surprised how good Bonner has been so far. Goodwin also looking comfortable down back.

I think sometimes she thinks she's faster/stronger than she really is. Her good moments have been when she's marked it and handpassed it off to a runner going past.

Hatchard usually does alright when she just takes the first option. It's when she tries to run and carry straight through a player that she gets into trouble.

Hatchard usually does alright when she just takes the first option. It's when she tries to run and carry straight through a player that she gets into trouble.
Speed is not her strong point.

Some soft free kicks being paid. Waterhouse is lively today.
And how good is Chloe Scheer. She's the only player I've really been disappointed that we've lost.

That being said not much defence is being played by either side.

Waterhouse picking up all the scraps.
I think Randall is playing down back, but have barely seen her.

McKinnon was huge that quarter. Dominated the ruck contest. I love how she puts it out into space and also has a great leap on her. Was also getting taking marks around the ground and her field kicking was pretty decent. Allan hasn't been terrible either. Wonder if we'll go with both in the final side?

I would. I think all four of McKinnon, Allan, Gould and Prowse fit into the side. Gould forward, Prowse back, McKinnon and Allan sharing the ruck and dropping back/forward as needed.
I agree. McKinnon and Allan are mobile enough to get around the ground and be marking targets as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows are looking a lot like season 7 Crows. That is, good and competitive but not excellent. Good enough to hold on against mid-tier sides but that footy probably won't get it done against the top 4 sides.
Agreed, they still have a style that troubles teams when they have the ball but when without the ball they still look to have some issues.

Contested marking a big plus and can see just from that half they’re again looking to play with that high number of marks style, obviously some early season rust with their decision making, look like they’re still trying to process a lot of information and trying to implement exactly what their instructions are leading to a lot sloppy turnovers .

Youngsters on the halfback line in Goodwin and Kustermann had quarters they’d want to forget, seniors players also looked like they’ve checked out of this practice game early.

A lot of the time Marinoff’s ball hungry nature can actually hamper this team, multiple occasions she can just take the tackle and the bounce but she tries to get the possession out or when she or a teammate tackles someone she tries to rip the ball out on the ground rather than take the inside forward 50 bounce.

A lot of the time Marinoff’s ball hungry nature can actually hamper this team, multiple occasions she can just take the tackle and the bounce but she tries to get the possession out or when she or a teammate tackles someone she tries to rip the ball out on the ground rather than take the inside forward 50 bounce.

I've often thought this about a number of players. It's like a forward keeping a ball in play when there are only defenders around them, just seems silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back