Pre-1965 behinds (goal-kicking)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've heard mention of this being collated from time to time and I believe the data is out there - I think the Age published behinds back to about 1930 - but I'm not sure where it's at.

I'd like to help gather data, but don't want to step on anyone's toes if they're already working on it.

The final goal would be to have it all uploaded to AFL Tables and AF.com.

Anyone up for it? Or already is?

I've heard mention of this being collated from time to time and I believe the data is out there - I think the Age published behinds back to about 1930 - but I'm not sure where it's at.

I'd like to help gather data, but don't want to step on anyone's toes if they're already working on it.

The final goal would be to have it all uploaded to AFL Tables and AF.com.

Anyone up for it? Or already is?
I'm pretty sure I posted this elsewhere, it was part of an email I received from the AFL's Col Hutchinson back in February:

"On another subject, I have been processing the goals and behinds scored by individual players match-by-match in the period spanning 1931-1964.
The following sources of data are being used:
The Age, Sporting Globe, Geelong Advertiser, The Record (Emerald Hill) and some hand-written records relating to Carlton matches.
Some club annual reports also contain such data.
Obviously, there are some gaps where such information was not published, but significant useful data is being accumulated.
The South Melbourne information is quite comprehensive.
Such match information for almost every Swans' season from 1931 onwards is available.
The exceptions are 1946-47-48.
It is likely that the local Footscray and Essendon newspapers published similar data during some of the relevant seasons."

I have no idea what Col H./the AFL stats folks plan on doing with this, but I really hope they pass on what they have found to the likes of AFL Tables and AustralianFootball.com.

I'm pretty sure I posted this elsewhere, it was part of an email I received from the AFL's Col Hutchinson back in February:

"On another subject, I have been processing the goals and behinds scored by individual players match-by-match in the period spanning 1931-1964.
The following sources of data are being used:
The Age, Sporting Globe, Geelong Advertiser, The Record (Emerald Hill) and some hand-written records relating to Carlton matches.
Some club annual reports also contain such data.
Obviously, there are some gaps where such information was not published, but significant useful data is being accumulated.
The South Melbourne information is quite comprehensive.
Such match information for almost every Swans' season from 1931 onwards is available.
The exceptions are 1946-47-48.
It is likely that the local Footscray and Essendon newspapers published similar data during some of the relevant seasons."

I have no idea what Col H./the AFL stats folks plan on doing with this, but I really hope they pass on what they have found to the likes of AFL Tables and AustralianFootball.com.

Cool, I do recall seeing that once before. I'll hold off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back