News Pre-draft priority picks are no more

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Absolute bullshit if GC or Carlton get more than what Lions did.

Last 10 years
BL - 67 wins (81.25%) Carl - 86 wins (93.67%) GC -
Since GC join
BL - 47 wins Carl - 62 wins GC - 44 wins
Last 5 years
BL - 23 wins (72.38%) Carl - 26 wins (74.54%) GC - 30 wins (76.34%)

Finals Last 10 years
BL - 1 Carl - 4 GC - 0

Last edited:

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
I am at my wits end with this competition. I'll stop supporting it if these rabbles get their priority picks they're squealing out for.
Totally agree, the Blues, especially Silvagni, have created this mess and should not be helped out of a situation of their own making. Very poor list management and drafting should not see them given assistance. I know their situation well having seen my club do the same stupid things for such a long time.
Should be only trading higher end picks for players when its an average draft, and loading up on picks when its a highly rated draft. And in this regard, Saints, for goodness sake don't trade pick 4 for Hanneberry no matter what else you are offered!!!!!!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
There's talent and then there's elite talent Carlton and the Suns getting 5 of the top 6 picks takes away all the elite talented players leaving basically nothing for the other rebuilding club I want elite talent and being a bottom 4 club you would be expecting to draft an elite player

I understand your concerns but that is still not right. There is elite talent almost up to pick 10 this year. Probably the only draft that will ever have this many. However, like when we bid on Setterfield we got bumped down a spot in draft from club higher on ladder because GWS matched the bid to effectively get pick 5 that year and the same may happen to you if Lions want Blakey but Swans will match and take him bumping Lions down a spot. Anyway your concerns over Carlton and Gold Coast having the first 5 picks you can put to bed anyway.
Any priority picks Carlton and Gold Coast get will be at end of first round, not before it. Probably pick 20 and 21. Gold Coast will probably have two of the first 3 picks as they likely get a pick straight after their normal round one pick as free aency compo pick for losing Tom Lynch. Saints should have pick 4 and guess Lions pick 5.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Totally agree, the Blues, especially Silvagni, have created this mess and should not be helped out of a situation of their own making. Very poor list management and drafting should not see them given assistance. I know their situation well having seen my club do the same stupid things for such a long time.
Should be only trading higher end picks for players when its an average draft, and loading up on picks when its a highly rated draft. And in this regard, Saints, for goodness sake don't trade pick 4 for Hanneberry no matter what else you are offered!!!!!!

That is absolutely right, Lions and Suns need help cause of the sheer number of players that have left, but Blues have stuffed up their own list management, how is that deserving of a PP?? They have a plethora of top draft picks in the past 15 years.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Indeed.

However, “(The possibility is) still there, but it’s something that needs greater discussion as to where the industry sits on all of this" (i.e. do the other clubs agree), is not something that should bode well for Carlton & GC.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There should be a rule rel to finals appearances that clubs need assistance ... but who does give a pimple face kid help any club next year. They should have to trade the pick like the GWS had 4 picks they had to trade. Those clubs should be able to have a rookie or two extra .. develop your players better ... do not tell me that there are not players being missed..its just to easy to pick the low hanging fruit from the u18's all the time.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Indeed.

However, “(The possibility is) still there, but it’s something that needs greater discussion as to where the industry sits on all of this" (i.e. do the other clubs agree), is not something that should bode well for Carlton & GC.
You know other clubs and supporters wont agree, you've just made another thread to bash Carlton. Piss poor effort.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You know other clubs and supporters wont agree, you've just made another thread to bash Carlton. Piss poor effort.

I honestly cannot understand posts like this, when people believe I have some personal vendetta against a club like 21st century Carlton. Apart from putting the occasional Carlton smartarse in line, I have been pretty encouraging about them in many of my posts this year. That is if you bother to actually look deeper.

I dispute the right to a top order priority pick based upon principal, not Carlton.

The ONLY break I would give any club this year is to allow another $1.5 million in the GC salary cap for the next 4-5 years on the proviso they can only spend it on 3 x 26+ year old players, in order to inject some maturity in to their young list, as their problems are a bit more unique to the position of Carlton

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Mate if you are going to make a statement do your homework and get your facts right. Yes poor list management and recruiting all before Silvagni arrived. He has three very good Drafts and Trade periods for us, but you and the ones who gave you a like wouldn't understand this. You are all behaving like schoolkids, wait for an announcement before you comment.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Mate if you are going to make a statement do your homework and get your facts right. Yes poor list management and recruiting all before Silvagni arrived. He has three very good Drafts and Trade periods for us, but you and the ones who gave you a like wouldn't understand this. You are all behaving like schoolkids, wait for an announcement before you comment.

Jumping the gun a bit here.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lets be honest here.
The AFL need GC to be sucessful, and they must preserve big Vic clubs place in the comp. I mean, they need to be up to speed for all these Friday night games the AFL continue to give them.
Brisbane didnt get a top 5 PP a couple of years ago, St Kilda didnt and wont, but the AFLs pets must.

Don't really care if we get a PP or not, but do object to us being called the AFLs pets, unless by that you mean our players have been living in tin dog sheds for the previous seven years, not facilities befitting a professional football team.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't really care if we get a PP or not, but do object to us being called the AFLs pets, unless by that you mean our players have been living in tin dog sheds for the previous seven years, not facilities befitting a professional football team.

You're new facilities look great. jealous!

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You're new facilities look great. jealous!

If we had them, or at least decent facilities from the start, our retention issues and this question of a PP probably wouldn't be a topic of discussion.

Lions will get good facilities again. I remember when you were winning premierships your off-field setup was considered ahead of most other clubs. These things happen in cycles.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
Rubbish Mate! Who’s been raiding all the rejects from GWS?

Juice0103

Senior List
Jul 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton and GCS PP's most likely top 10? Also are GCS getting 3 top ten picks in this draft due to Tom Lynch (Pick 3?) finishing second last and also not being in the finals since they have started?
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 10?

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Carlton and GCS PP's most likely top 10? Also are GCS getting 3 top ten picks in this draft due to Tom Lynch (Pick 3?) finishing second last and also not being in the finals since they have started?
Pick 2
Pick 3
Pick 10?
The first priority pick will be 19.

Gold Coast's compensation pick will be right after their first pick.

Pick 1 - Carlton
Pick 2 - Gold Coast
Pick 3 - Gold Coast (Tom Lynch Compensation)
Pick 4 - St Kilda
Pick 5 - Brisbane
etc

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why the Blues even want a PP. they keep telling us all is on track and part of the plan (maybe the plan included a PP?). Also, I thought if Docherty etc weren’t injured that would have performed better than last year.

Very confusing. First all is on track and now they need all the help they can get from the AFL.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Not sure why the Blues even want a PP. they keep telling us all is on track and part of the plan (maybe the plan included a PP?). Also, I thought if Docherty etc weren’t injured that would have performed better than last year.

Very confusing. First all is on track and now they need all the help they can get from the AFL.
Jumping the gun again, they haven't asked for a priority pick, everyone just settle down until it happens, if it happens. This thread is useless.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Indeed.

Chances we get a pre-draft pick is virtually zero imo.

Pick 19 at minimum would be a lock, with the possibility of a mid first round pick around 10 a decent chance imo.

Back