Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people want higher scoring matches?

It doesn't make any sense.
They must enjoy high scoring one sided contests more than low scoring tight contested close contests i guess, the new generation have short attention spans so i guess when they know they game is over halfway through the 3rd qtr they can turn off and return to their ipads/phones.

They must enjoy high scoring one sided contests more than low scoring tight contested close contests i guess, the new generation have short attention spans so i guess when they know they game is over halfway through the 3rd qtr they can turn off and return to their ipads/phones.
Think you'll find it more about $$$$ in advertising.

And the results are in, hmmmmm

In the last 5 seasons ( 2014-2018 ) we have had 237 instances of teams scoring 120+

Average winning margin: 67.7 pts

0-39 points: 35
40-59 points: 58
60+ points: 144

Losing team scoring 100+ points : 14

Average winning margin per year for team scoring 120+ points

2014: 69.7 pts with 65.2% of games won by 60+ ( 30 from 46 )
2015: 70 pts with 69.2% of games won by 60+ ( 36 from 52 )
2016: 65.5 pts with 63.3% of games won by 60+ ( 38 from 60 )
2018: 68.4 pts with 58.1% of games won by 60+ ( 18 from 31 )
And the year which seems to have pissed people off
2017: 61.3 pts with only 45.8% of games won by 60+ ( 22 from 48 )

What is it the AFL really are pissed off with and what do they really want.

If they want open free wheeling high scoring circle work then get prepared for thrashings because remember the above average winning margins for a team scoring 120+, was when the losing team could flood the backline to limit the damage.
Excellent post !!!

The person in the front of the tv doesn't care for this, as for the AFL scoring is not going to improve. The beltings will though as the teams getting creamed can't flood numbers back to limit the damage.

I'm confused... you seem to be contradicting yourself. "The AFL scoring is not going to improve...but the beltings will".
If a team belts the other and kicks 20-25 goals to 10. That's 35 goals being scored and 35 ads. Verses 12 vs 11... 23 goals. It's about ad $$$$.

However if the beltings see viewer numbers go down, then they have a problem. Obviously the AFL want 25 vs 24 goals. As you said though, more likely beltings will occur.

not neccessarily a glut of goals...I think it's rather the prevention of boring as f*** nil-all draws.

if a game gets you 10 goals total (dunno, I just picked a lowish number), how's the business model going to work ? You going to negotiate TV rights for billions of dollars with 10 ads per game ? yeah the fans have different view but the AFL has to look after their business too.

if you want rolling mauls, ballup after ballup after ballup, ultra defensive Sydney/Ross Lyon style.....there's the NRL.....how's their scoring ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we are gonna absolutely flog carltoon in rd1. last year the only reason we didn't win by 100 is they got those 5 bs frees early on and they flooded their entire team back for the rest of the match. with 666 i could see us winning it by 130

I'm confused... you seem to be contradicting yourself. "The AFL scoring is not going to improve...but the beltings will".
If a team belts the other and kicks 20-25 goals to 10. That's 35 goals being scored and 35 ads. Verses 12 vs 11... 23 goals. It's about ad $$$$.

However if the beltings see viewer numbers go down, then they have a problem. Obviously the AFL want 25 vs 24 goals. As you said though, more likely beltings will occur.
Should've been more clear, what i mean is that scoring as a whole averaged out over all the games wont improve, the beltings will be larger due to the winning team scoring more and the losing team scoring less than what they do now.

Example: 2018 belting of 135-68 will become 151-52 in 2019 with the losing team unable to flood back to limit the damage and thus not be able to exit out of defensive 50 because they have 14 players back there and wont be able to score some cheapies out the back.

As for the dollars who cares, we don't see any of it.

Cannot afford any risks to Dusty.
A once-in-a-generation champion.
It's a long season, he became stale last year.
We need Dusty refreshed and relaxed for the business end.

Hey guys, this is a Supercoach question, is superstar Dusty over his niggle/injury from last year? Was he in cruise mode during the JLT? Better luck this year as last year was wasted.

Regards
DtF
He’s over it, but I wouldn’t select him personally. He plays forward too often.

They rigged it for clubs like Geelol so they can be semi good again as the scabs can't afford to be a bottom team. They try and prop up the piss ant clubs so the balance sheet looks better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back