Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Soft tacos with beef chilli, guacomole, corn and salad.

Or make your own sandwiches will all the condiments.

Fruit, water and Gatorade.

Haere Ra
Did you go on the tower of terror today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft picks are overrated. Two unproven kids basically in the second round (once compensation is sorted) vs a top fifteen player in the comp addressing an area of need while we’re in our window? I’ll take Beams, thanks.

Lynch is on a seven-year deal that is heavily backloaded. Beams had two years left on his contract which was renegotiated to four years at Collingwood. Lynch gives us absolutely no wiggle room for the future. Beams would give us ample and allow us to top up again soon. With Lynch, we will have an injury prone 33 year old on over one million dollars, then there’s Dusty earning what he’s earning. Two blokes both over 30 and both earning north of one million dollars. A disaster looms. A lot of our players took pay cuts to fit Lynch in as well. We also missed out on Conca compensation and basically gave away all of our depth for nothing. Saying Lynch cost us nothing is factually wrong and is an incredibly simplistic and short-sighted view on the situation.

So you would have preferred to trade 2018 & 2019 first round picks for Beams a 29 year old with probably 2 seasons of top quality footy left, who missed 20 games in a season only 2 years ago because of knee tendinitis(an injury that never really goes away).

Not only that but you say draft picks are overrated but then you complain that Lynch cost us getting compensation from losing Conca which was a end of 2nd round compo pick.

If you are serious about wanting to take a midfielder that would help us you should have said one of Wingard Shiel or Neale a younger player who helps now but will also be around for a lot longer than Beams will be.

The fact of the matter is we needed another KPF to help out Jack now but also to be a long term replacement, Lynch is exactly that and like Prestia it doesn't matter what he does in the first few months with the club as he settles in and gets back to full fitness. What matters is what he does over the term of his contract. If you're still around by then maybe we can review whether the deal was worthwhile or not.

As for out depth, Lloyd Conca Miles & Ellis barely played over the last few years as others were preferred ahead of them or injury held them back. All 4 went elsewhere in the search for greater opportunity. In their place comes youngsters in Collier-Dawkins Ross Turner English and a mature recruit in Weller. Not forgetting our 2019 draft picks which as things currently stand are rounds 1 & 2, Suns Round 3, Cats and our Round 4.

Saying Lynch is a mistake before he has even played a game is what I'd call and incredibly shortsighted simplistic view of the situation.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So you would have preferred to trade 2018 & 2019 first round picks for Beams a 29 year old with probably 2 seasons of top quality footy left, who missed 20 games in a season only 2 years ago because of knee tendinitis(an injury that never really goes away).

Not only that but you say draft picks are overrated but then you complain that Lynch cost us getting compensation from losing Conca which was a end of 2nd round compo pick.

If you are serious about wanting to take a midfielder that would help us you should have said one of Wingard Shiel or Neale a younger player who helps now but will also be around for a lot longer than Beams will be.

The fact of the matter is we needed another KPF to help out Jack now but also to be a long term replacement, Lynch is exactly that and like Prestia it doesn't matter what he does in the first few months with the club as he settles in and gets back to full fitness. What matters is what he does over the term of his contract. If you're still around by then maybe we can review whether the deal was worthwhile or not.

As for out depth, Lloyd Conca Miles & Ellis barely played over the last few years as others were preferred ahead of them or injury held them back. All 4 went elsewhere in the search for greater opportunity. In their place comes youngsters in Collier-Dawkins Ross Turner English and a mature recruit in Weller. Not forgetting our 2019 draft picks which as things currently stand are rounds 1 & 2, Suns Round 3, Cats and our Round 4.

Saying Lynch is a mistake before he has even played a game is what I'd call and incredibly shortsighted simplistic view of the situation.
Mate I appreciate the response but I’m well and truly done with this conversation. Anything I say from this point onwards will just be a repeat of what I’ve already said. Happy to revisit this discussion throughout the season though.

Back