Training Pre Season 18/19

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s what I’m thinking...Balta to take Griggs role sooner than later
6 months too late. It was obvious but you can understand it's hard to change a team that wins the minor premiership in a canter.
In hindsight it's a pity the dogs hit the post and didn't knock us off late in the season, would have given mandate for a late season rethink and rejig.

6 months too late. It was obvious but you can understand it's hard to change a team that wins the minor premiership in a canter.
In hindsight it's a pity the dogs hit the post and didn't knock us off late in the season, would have given mandate for a late season rethink and rejig.

Yep noo point looking back and asking what if

It’s all about redemption from here on...Grigg had an average 2018 and at his age I very much doubt whether he’ll turn it on this season which is why we need someone to step into that role...Balta is primed for it...it’s up to Noah to take it

There's a saying about Kevin Rudd: if you like him, you don't know him. In the same vein, if you think Balta should have been in our finals side, you didn't watch him play.

I like Balta but he played one good full game, and it wasn't in the ruck or on the wing. Plus a few cameos and a good half against Essendon in the VFL final.

No chance Astbury plays as the 2nd ruck.
He couldn’t jump over a VB can.
Don't know if he did ruck in that Prelim, I know he went fwd; presumably, because he was off colour and getting destroyed by Cox but he had a hitout in the previous game.
If attended any ruck contests in that Collingwood game, he didn't win any. Only one hitout for the season.

There's a saying about Kevin Rudd: if you like him, you don't know him. In the same vein, if you think Balta should have been in our finals side, you didn't watch him play.

I like Balta but he played one good full game, and it wasn't in the ruck or on the wing. Plus a few cameos and a good half against Essendon in the VFL final.
Hah love the Rudd comment, so true.

Re. Balta, yes he is not going to play 4Qs of dominance, it's the cameos he is capable of that I thought were potentially valuable.

Anyway Hardwick doesn't make too many unforced changes to winning sides, and we just kept on winning.

Hah love the Rudd comment, so true.

Re. Balta, yes he is not going to play 4Qs of dominance, it's the cameos he is capable of that I thought were potentially valuable.

Anyway Hardwick doesn't make too many unforced changes to winning sides, and we just kept on winning.
Balta wasn't ready for AFL in 2018. He was only just getting by at VFL, he wasn't putting together 4 quarter games. Playing cameos in the VFL won't cut it at AFL finals level. Leaving him out was the right call.

2019 may be a different story, he is worth a few games through the year to get an assessment on where he's at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta wasn't ready for AFL in 2018. He was only just getting by at VFL, he wasn't putting together 4 quarter games. Playing cameos in the VFL won't cut it at AFL finals level. Leaving him out was the right call.

2019 may be a different story, he is worth a few games through the year to get an assessment on where he's at.
Balta taking a while to adapt is completely normal being a bottom age draftee having to play against VFL players
He is just 19 and if he was 10 weeks younger he would have been drafted in 2018 and this would be his first season

I think with another year and another pre season you will see a significant increase in his output in 2019
Whilst we all want to see him fast tracked and playing we need to understand he is just a kid really and will have ups/downs in his performances

But i still want to see some games pumped into him to fast track his develpment, He could be the most important player we have in september if required

Balta taking a while to adapt is completely normal being a bottom age draftee having to play against VFL players
He is just 19 and if he was 10 weeks younger he would have been drafted in 2018 and this would be his first season

I think with another year and another pre season you will see a significant increase in his output in 2019
Whilst we all want to see him fast tracked and playing we need to understand he is just a kid really and will have ups/downs in his performances

But i still want to see some games pumped into him to fast track his develpment, He could be the most important player we have in september if required
I'm not criticising him for not being ready yet, nothing wrong with taking a few years to develop.
I do think it's worth giving him the odd game in 2019 if his VFL form is decent enough to give him a taste of AFL and see where he's at. But the time to do that is during the season at strategic times when matchups allow, not in September.

You see how a good midfield unit crashes in at stoppages puts blocks on for each other and really have that fearless attitude and you just couldn’t see Brandon doing that.
And that’s not criticism, he was recruited as a hb/ wing and has been developed over the years in that role.

He’s struggled with his contested game, it’s why so many of the boys went straight to him when he rode that bump with Dangerfield. He was putting it all out there that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he certainly was not ready last year. He had a solid game against Williamstown in the QF though. In fact, his finals series wasn’t too bad. But I agree with the selection committee.

This year is a different year so hopefully he bursts his way in.

I'm not criticising him for not being ready yet, nothing wrong with taking a few years to develop.
I do think it's worth giving him the odd game in 2019 if his VFL form is decent enough to give him a taste of AFL and see where he's at. But the time to do that is during the season at strategic times when matchups allow, not in September.
Yeah exactly. We played a side we know worked for us throughout the season and got smashed by Collingwood. Oh well, not salty about that.

Could you imagine the backlash if the reason we lost was because we played an inexperienced Balta in September? People on here would get angry and I don’t know what that would do to Balta’s confidence.

Trial line-ups in the H&A season but stick with something you are familiar with in September. It’s why I was annoyed at Richmond after the 2015 EF because we brought in players that haven’t played for a while.

Yeah exactly. We played a side we know worked for us throughout the season and got smashed by Collingwood. Oh well, not salty about that.

Could you imagine the backlash if the reason we lost was because we played an inexperienced Balta in September? People on here would get angry and I don’t know what that would do to Balta’s confidence.

Trial line-ups in the H&A season but stick with something you are familiar with in September. It’s why I was annoyed at Richmond after the 2015 EF because we brought in players that haven’t played for a while.
Completely agree on 2015, terrible match committee decisions.

Imo the games that matter are against sides that use 2 rucks ie the pies, crows and eagles. We got away with it v the GF but imo we need to have a strategy for them.
And now that the Ruckman can grab the ball without penalty makes our 2nd ruck position even more of a concern.

Will lightning strike for the 4th time?
Jurica,Post,McBean,(Balta)?

And now that the Ruckman can grab the ball without penalty makes our 2nd ruck position even more of a concern.
Umm there still is a penalty if the ruckman doesn't dispose of the ball legally, too many people over thinking this ruck rule, all that has happened is that the ruckman can grab the ball and not get pinged from a feather touch. He needs to be tackled and he needs to dispose legally like every other player on the ground.

Overall they have made official a rule that has been massively relaxed in the past 2 years anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back